“Never Again”
Review of Eldridge Hotel

Eldridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Lawrence
Reviewed September 15, 2006

My wife and I spent three nights at the Eldridge celebrating our anniversary. The hotel did a wonderful job with the renovations. The rooms and the lobby look great. You can’t beat the location either if Lawrence is your destination.

Unfortunately, a great building does not make a great hotel. We had a terrible experience with the staff of the Eldridge.

We woke up sweating in the middle of first night because the AC quit working. I tried to call the front desk only to discover that our phone didn’t work either. There are no curtains on the windows, so I was up with the sun on my first day of vacation.

We returned to the room that night only to discover it had not been made up yet. We walked down to the front desk (remember no phone or air) to report this and re-report the phone and air problems. Everything was fixed by bedtime.

The second morning, we were awakened by workers hammering on the roof at 8:00am. This lasted over two hours. Why wouldn’t you schedule roofing work in the afternoon at a hotel? I asked to speak to the General Manager and was told no, but that my message would be relayed. We never heard a word from the manager nor got any kind of apology from the front desk.

On our last morning the roofers started at 9:30am and the switchboard routed several calls to my room that were meant for the manager (one was a reporter from the Journal World…boy was that tempting).

At check out, we were over charged on our nightly rate (are you surprised?) and were once again told that we couldn’t see the general manager. When we got home, we discovered that instead of refunding the overcharge, the hotel charged that amount again to our credit card. We left several phone messages for the manager to call us and sent three emails. Never heard from the manager, never received an apology, and never got all of the overcharge back.

Thank you for sending in your review. The community appreciates your feedback.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
10  Thank vhammo

Reviewed March 18, 2006

I stayed here in February of 2006 and thought it was a lovely hotel. The rooms are spacious, clean and well-decorated, with very nice bathrooms. I've noticed that some reviewers have complained about the air quality, but I didn't have any problems (I was on the top floor, so maybe it has something to do with location).

The service was good as well. When I arrived, there didn't appear to be anyone around to park my car at the valet parking pull-up point, so I had to park it myself. When I told the front desk attendant (who appeared to be doubling as the valet), he apologized, took my keys, and moved my car to the hotel's parking area. The following morning, I called the front desk to tell them I needed my car in 5 minutes, and it was there waiting for me when I came downstairs.

Also, the location is great -- fun to just walk around and check out the shops/restaurants. I also think that this hotel is a great value for the price (I've never stayed in such a nice hotel for such a low price before).

• Stayed: February 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank MrsDougherty
Reviewed July 3, 2005

The location is excellent and within walking distance of many shops and great restaurants/bars. Once your car drops you off, you won't need to drive it again! However, there is little else going for the Eldridge. I've stayed here several times and each time I try and look past the stuffy service, mediocre rooms (with barely mediocre furniture--the floor was softer than the sofa), and poor air quality (even though there is a ban on smoking here [there are no smoking rooms, all the rooms in this hotel are non-smoking!] the air felt stuffy)---because of its perfect location. I don't want to say this hotel is all bad because I can see the charm in it (if that's what you're going for). But I really think it is below average. Not bad, but not average either. Your best bet is to stay at the Springhill Suites a block away.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank Writer/Director
Reviewed October 24, 2004

I've stayed at the Eldridge with my Chesapeake Bay Retriever five times in the last year, and most of my stays have been quite positive. I originally stayed there because they were pet friendly, an historic hotel and they offered a great deal through the National Trust for Historic Preservation (fifty bucks for any room in the house, unfortunately no longer available) The best room I've stayed in is the Langston Hughes suite, ask for it. The staff, though young, are obliging and friendly. The hotel needs a few things in the way of a facelift though: better lighting throughout, a better ventilation system (or a lot of cases of air neutralizers) and a bit more in the way of amenities. They should consider replacing their sofas (nearly every room has one) with sleeper sofas to increase room capacity. My husband and I often travel with our ten year old son (who likes to sleep on a pull out sofa!) and I'm sure there are other travelers who would appreciate the extra sleeping space for kids. I think the hotel staff is trying hard, and I found that some of the reviews posted on this site were overly critical. Old hotels have a charm and personality that you will never find even in the nicest Marriott, but they also have their quirks. The key is for hotel management to find a way to showcase the best qualities of their hotel... which is not something the Eldridge is always successful at. Still, we are booked there again next month, and I greatly appreciate that they are so welcoming of my well-behaved dog.

• Stayed: June 2004
4  Thank redchief
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2004

Reasonably priced and wonderfully quaint!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, TX
Reviewed November 5, 2002

The hotel is in the middle of downtown, but that is about all it has going for it. It is a historic hotel and could be so much better than it is if they put some money in it to restore it. The room was small and we had an odor that we couldn't get to go away despite repeated requests from the front desk. When we checked in there was hair in the tub and on the vanity. The front desk said they would send someone up, but they never did. I ended up removing it myself with some kleenex.

This hotel is also the most expensive in town, and for what you get it is not a good deal. There is a Marriot hotel downtown that we are staying at next time.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 8, 2002

My son attended the University of Kansas for the past four years and every time we visited him we stayed at the Elridge Hotel. The hotel's management & staff were always exceptionally courteous to any of our needs & requests. The location of the property is perfect and the hotel itself is very charming. I would recommend the Eldridge Hotel to any parent bringing their son or daughter to KU, you have to stay at least once, or even try a meal in their restaurant. The Eldridge Hotel has a completely unique atmosphere compared to all other Lawrence Hotels, which is to be expected from such a historic property. Overall it is definitely worth it.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member