“Great classic hotel”
Review of Eldridge Hotel

Eldridge Hotel
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Lawrence
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Nicely restored, comfortable large room. Right downtown Lawrence, could be noisy in football season. Earplugs provided in the room but no need for us.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BestTravelerDenver
OliviaCollection, Director of Marketing at Eldridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2011

Thank you for your kind words. We really appreciate you taking the time to share!

Reviewed November 14, 2011

As a first time visitor to Lawrence for a family wedding, I took the advice of the couple and reserved a room at the Eldridge. What a pleasant surprise! My husband and I are picky with hotels and used to staying in 5-star properties. The rooms are huge and very comfortable. I also felt that the entire property was very clean (a big thing for me!). We were able to walk right out of the hotel onto the most charming street full of great shopping and restaurants. The second morning, I awoke with a sore throat. My husband went down to the restaurant, where a very kind young waitress went out of her way to find lemon and honey for my hot tea. I noticed the comments about poor customer service, we only experienced great customer service.

Valet parking is offered at only $10 a day!!! Those of you who travel extensively know what a bargain this is! The car was always ready within a couple minutes. Unfortunately, we were unable to try the famous Sunday breakfast buffet, but I have heard many it was wonderful. The other items we tried in the restaurant were very good and really reasonably priced. If we ever have a reason to be in Lawrence again, we will definately stay at the Eldridge!

Room Tip: Rooms near Massachussettes can be noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind and thorough review of our valet, housekeeping and restaurant staff! We certainly enjoy being right in the center of the action on Massachusetts Street and are glad you had a chance to take in downtown Lawrence.

Reviewed September 30, 2011

The Eldridge is a beautifully restored old-school hotel in the heart of downtown Lawrence, one of my favorite college towns anywhere. Staff is friendly and helpful, rooms comfortable, bar downstairs is easily one of the best hotel saloons in the country. I travel a fair amount and the Eldridge is always nice to get back to.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Stayed one night on a recent visit to Lawrence. Great location on the main street with lots of local stores and restaurants. We were on the second floor overlooking the street but any noise was drowned out by the white noise sound machines provided by the hotel. The bathroom was nice appointed but the towels weren't plush and oversized. Parking could be a pain. We stayed on Sunday so parked free on the street. Sunday night, we moved the car into a city lot next to the hotel with 2 hour free parking. This meant we needed to move our car by 11am to avoid a ticket. No big deal. But it would be a hassle if I had stayed during the week. Hotel does offer valet parking for a fee. Front desk staff was indifferent- likely KU students that aren't really trained in providing a welcoming customer experience. Again, not a big deal since I didn't need to ask for any help.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed here a few weeks ago when moving our son into KU. We loved the hotel. Very clean, nice comfortable beds, great shower, etc. The Jayhawker bar was great! We had wine and a fruit plate one evening. The rooms facing Mass st. can be very noisy on the weekend till 2:15 am. One night we were up till 2:30 am due to storm with thunder and lightning and drunk kids in the street screaming. However, it would not deter us from staying here again. Other than the noise, we loved the location and will be back for Parent's Weekend.

Room Tip: Get a room on the side or back of the hotel. Not facing Mass st.
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My wife and I were woken up around 6 a.m. by traffic and large delivery trucks stopping in the street adjacent to our room (7th street). The trucks and loud noises continued until we walked out of our room around 9. I've slept with earplugs for 15 years, and they eliminate almost all noise. The street noises at the Elderidge were so loud, they even woke me up. We have two teenage sons (ages 15 and 18); both of whom could sleep almost any natural disaster. When I thought it was just my wife and I who thought that the noises outside of the Elderidge were loud, we broached the subject with our sons. Not wanting to ask a leading question, I asked the boys how they slept. They BOTH said that they were woken up around 6 a.m. by the traffic/truck noises coming from the street below.

My wife subsequently went down to the lobby and asked the front-desk clerk if we could receive some sort of compensation for the unwanted 6 a.m. wake up. She said that the clerk became very "snooty" with her when the subject was brought up. The clerk said that she would have to speak with her manager about having a few dollars taken off our bill. The clerk said that the manager would either call my wife or myself to discuss the issue. My wife subsequently left both of our cell phone numbers with the clerk. Neither of us received a call from the manager; nor was any partial credit was provided on our bill. We won't be back.

Additionally, earlier that same morning, at approximately 12:30 a.m., we were woken up by an inebriated female shouting obscenities on 7th street side of the hotel (the street adjacent to the Elderidge). At approximately 2:00 a.m., we were again woken up by ambulance/firetruck sirens from EMS vehicles speeding up 7th street. Both of our sons said that the aforementioned noises were so loud, they also woke them up. I know that the Elderidge can't control drunk people shouting and EMS sirens, but the fact remains that street noise is a problem at this hotel. My advice - DON'T STAY HERE...IF TWO TEENAGE BOYS WHO NORMALLY SLEEP UNTIL NOON WERE WOKEN UP BY THE STREET NOISES, YOU WILL BE TOO.

1  Thank Pacofresh
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Great historic setting. Clean, spacious rooms. Very comfortable beds. Some street noise. Ask for a room that doesnt face the street.