“Hipster Coffee Joint ”
Review of Bourgeois Pig

Bourgeois Pig
Ranked #3 of 17 Coffee & Tea in Lawrence
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my iced mocha from this place. They added the cinnamon powder to my drink with no problem. Usually I make this request and I can get strange looks as if adding this spice is freaky. I chided the worker about his star and cycle tee shirt and asked if he was supporting Putin with the whole recent Ukranian/Russian situation. He just smiled and rolled his eyes. The folks seemed knowledgeable about the KU campus as well. They also serve alcohol as well, but today coffee was all I needed!

Reviewed September 11, 2013

The space is intimate, the bartenders knowledgeable, and the wifi free. You can get espresso while you study, and a beer as soon as you finish. The patio is great (especially during the spring) for people watching and sipping your coffee, love this place.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Awesome vibe, great Moscow Mules, Bloody Marys and coffees. Throw in free Wi-fi and you have a deal!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

'll admit it took me a while to warm up to The Pig (as locals call it) because old habits die hard. before the smoking ban, this was THE place to get your fix. I'd walk into the place to drop off some newspapers and I'd literally hold my breath. The place was small and all that smoke stayed in. Even after the ban it took years to get that smell out there.

Once I ventured out there, I was glad I did. Now the Pig is one of the only coffee shops in town that focuses on pour over coffee. Sure they have drip, but they've worked with PTs of Topeka to create a Flying Monkey atmosphere here in Lawrence. It worked!

The other big draw of the Pig is an extensive liquor selection. Funky craft beers on tap as well as a variety of coffee and booze combos. Great stuff when you need something a bit more than coffee. The food selection is a bit spartan here with just some fresh fruits and cookies, but that's ok because beer is liquid bread right?

Seating is sparse European, meaning you can't scout out a table for yourself like you would at Starbucks. The front porch seating is great and smokers can rejoice here because you'll feel right at home, though if you really want to get your cancer sticks aflame, they heavy smoking is out on the back porch. I really wish it would be restricted there because I love sitting out front and watching Mass street...until someone starts illegally smoking and ruins it for me. The crowd overall here is quite unique and an eclectic cross section of everything Lawrence has to offer.

If you haven't been to The Pig in a while, it's worth another look because it's a whole new place.

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I've been going to the Bourgeois for years. It's dark cozy atmosphere conjures thoughts of cocktail bars from the 60s. Intellectuals from the nearby university come at night for a cocktail and discuss the latest issues in their academic world. There's an extensive drink menu that includes martinis, old fashioneds, single barrel whiskey, and drinks made with house infused liquors. I've seen a burly bearded guy sip on a champagne cocktail. It is a great place to get a pre or post dinner cocktail. There is a small outdoor seating area too. Quirky artwork adorns the walls and changes based on the artist being featured. Daytime brings bike riders, students and locals who come for the designer coffee. A number of liquid sugars are available if you want to use that to sweeten it. So is Splenda, raw sugar, and other conventional sweeteners and milk and cream. I like the pour over coffee the most. You can also get a regular cup of Joe. The Bourgeois owner recently worked at Cafeotheque in Paris France to gain more knowledge of coffee brewing techniques.