Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
History Lives Here

The cleaver and respectful reuse of this old bank building is fantastic. The building itself is an... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
DR186
Pueblo, Colorado
Surprised by this Museum

Reviewed September 12, 2018
BZimm08
Olathe, Kansas

All reviews old building third floor bank building great exhibits civil war mass st playhouse raid visitors sports event downtown university
Selected filters
Reviewed September 12, 2018

Walking down Mass St. I found this gem. The Watkins Museum is free for visitors and is located in a gorgeous hundred plus year old building. The up keep here is amazing! There are three different floors here you can freely walk around and spend as little or as much time as you please here. The exhibits were all about the county, and ranged from the Civil War to Sports. I believe they have rotating exhibits as well. I highly recommend stopping in to Watkins Museum if in the area.

Date of experience: September 2018
WillHickox, Guest Relations Manager at Watkins Museum of History, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2018

Thank you for your review! We hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 10, 2018

We were shocked at the beauty of this great old building, it has 3 floors of great exhibits. The 2nd floor was a bank and the counter area has 16 different types of marble and onyx. The third floor was curly pine wood paneling and beautiful to see. You won't be dissapointed to go check this museum out. So much more than expected. Donations welcome. We had a blast

Date of experience: August 2018
1  Thank Penny F
WillHickox, Public Engagement Coordinator at Watkins Museum of History, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Thank you, Penny!

Reviewed July 8, 2018 via mobile

I’ve lived here for about two years and also used to visit my daughter when she was in grad school at KU. I knew about Watkins but never visited. I started taking a genealogy class there last fall. This is an awesome old building. A must see. They offer all kinds of classes and events. Check it out!

Date of experience: July 2018
Reviewed March 24, 2018 via mobile

Great visit and history We loved the display on the 60s and 70s and Quantrll raid It is a historical building and many displays including a playhouse for kid from the 1800s

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed February 4, 2018

We dropped in one night when the museum happened to be open late. We weren't expecting much & were surpised by everything they had. They had some great information on Lawrence KS and the are.

Date of experience: March 2017