“A nice change but lacking”
Review of Queen Lizzy's Fish and Chips - CLOSED

Queen Lizzy's Fish and Chips
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Kansas City
“A nice change but lacking”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

We found Queen Lizzy's a fun change of menu that is focused on English flavors. We had a variety of items and most were as expected. As mentioned in another review the fries definitly need improvement. The fish, sauage rolls, and deserts were good but they were out of several menu items early during the dinner time on a Friday. Sorry to say I got the impression they were happy to just get by with Ok food.

• Visited June 2012

Bloomington, Indiana
“Nice lads, but...”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The fish was perfectly fried but I agree that it was underseasoned - I liked that it wasn't overbattered, but some salt and pepper would be a nice addition to the flour, as it tends not to go on evenly afterward. The fries (not UK-style, they're regular American fries) were so overdone that they were dark brown and barely more than a lattice of hard grease, but I can see from pictures that's not usual, but that's what we got. We also ordered the rhubarb apple crumble, which looked like a plate of dog barf (seriously) but tasted delicious once we got over the appearance of the thing. The guys in the kitchen were sweet and so nice and I hope they listen to what folks are saying and get it all sorted.

• Visited June 2012
OSKALOOSA
“First bite excited wife's eyebrows”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Rate the fish a 5 -- just what my wife dreamed of to compare with fish-and-chips we've eaten in England, New Zealand, and Vancouver, Canada. French fries were a 3, though -- tougher than should be. Cute little place where we enjoyed sitting upstairs. Definitely will return to try other menu items. 2 fish-and-chips lunches for $15.13 including water with lemon.

• Visited May 2012
Kansas
“Average at best”
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I am a fish and chip snob; I like it authentic. A firm white fish (if it’s cod you are good in my book), with chips (not fries) and you have success. Was excited when I saw Queen Lizzy’s. My wife and I split an order of cod and chips, an order of onion rings and mushy peas. Let’s start with the good. The peas were mushy and delicious, just like you get in the UK. Onion rings were good. The fish and chips were at best, average. The fish had a nice crisp and not over battered, but it was WAY under seasoned. The chips were technically not fries, but not the good chips you get in the UK. The wait staff seemed…lethargic (I know, it is Lawrence). It is a shame because they have a nice place. If you want to try it, get there quick; I’m betting they are not going to be there for long.

• Visited April 2012
Tonganoxie, Kansas
“Well worth the trip to the end of Mass St!”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

I stumbled on this place by accident, but what a happy accident it turned out to be! I enjoyed the smashed peas almost as much as I enjoyed the fish, which was fantastic! I will be going back often.

• Visited January 2012