“Ummmm....average.....and a bit overpriced”

SpringHill Suites Lawrence
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Lawrence
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Really this hotel was just overpriced. There was nothing inherently wrong with it - but for the price I expected a little more.The rooms themselves are clean - and the beds comfortable - but they are nothing special. And it was quite expensive - for the Thursday night it was more than $130 for the night. In a small town like Lawrence, I would have expected a lot more for that price, particulalry when the Holiday Inn and other cheaper places were close to half the price.

And the service was what I would expect from a hotel where I was only paying $70 or $80 a night. For example, when I arrived late on the Sunday night - I have been travelling a while, and have quite a bit of luggage - there was nobody to help with the luggage out the front, so I struggled in with it. They have incredibly think carpet, so the wheels on the suitcases just didn't work. The guy behind the front desk just stood and watched as I struggled in through the foyer. No offer of help - he just stood and watched. I got in late and hadn't eaten. When I looked in the hotel guide, it said that I could order in, and that the front desk had menus. I went back up to the front desk, but again the gentleman was very unhelpful - said he had no menus and didn't recommend any of the restaurants in particular.

The breakfast was free but absolutely terrible - the orange juice was watered down and the coffee was cold.

Internet was free - but slow.

Anyway, as I said - if you could get this hotel at a reasonable price, it would be good - it's just expensive for what it is.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank KTee:P

Reviewed September 14, 2008

This is a great choice if you're visiting Lawrence. It's clean, has a great pool and a small but good exercise room. They offer a decent breakfast in the morning - hot and cold choices - including make your own Belgian Waffles. The rooms are good for the business traveler because there's a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The "suite" feel gives you good space and a little less of a cookie cutter room feel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 18, 2008

My husband and I graduated from KU and go back for visits frequently. There are 3 hotels in town that book up fast and this is one of them. This was our first stay at the SpringHill Suites. This visit was for a wedding and we booked under their block of rooms.

Our check in was very smooth and the front desk attendant was very friendly. She assigned us to the room and explained the hotel's ammenities. Our room was on the same floor as the front desk around the corner.

The suites are a very good size with a frige, coffee maker and sink (other than the bathroom sink). The shower had great water pressure. The hair dyer also had great power, not weak like some hotels. The TV in our room swiveled from side to side depending if you were in the bed or in the living room area. The bed was a little on the firm side. It was hard to keep the room a constant cool temperature, it would fluctuate, so we keep it set on 60. The outside temp that weekend was low 80s (not bad for August Kansas weather).

We did notice the train going by in the distance, but it never woke us up. There was also wallpaper peeling back around the window and mold present. This could be a problem for people with allergies.

We did not go to their breakfast or use the gym, pool, or hot tub, so can't comment on them.

The location of this hotel can't be beat. We visited Mass St. (downtown area) for shopping, bar hopping, and dinner, so it was nice to be within walking distance.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Visited Lawrence for a swim meet. We booked the SpingHill on a recommendation from Trip Advisor and from some personal friends. It is located at the north end of downtown Lawrence and all the rooms face the north and the river. The front desk first assigned us room 354 and when we entered we found it was not made up yet. Back to the front desk and this time we got room 254 and an apology. We stayed two nights. Pros include big, spacious rooms. Our even had a jacuzzi in it. Microwave and frig worked well. Big screen (projection) TV, Complimentary breakfast (get there early on the weekend). Cons: Ice Machine on 2nd floor. Mentioned that it was not working on three different occasions and while the front desk indicated that they would get maintenance on it right away, it was still not working when we left.

All in all, a very good stay. We will be back next year again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Opus345
Reviewed March 10, 2008

This hotel is the best location in Lawrence, hands down. The Massachusetts Avenue corridor with shopping, restaurants and nightlife is a five minute walk away.

The hotel has plenty of parking and has a gorgeous view of the Kaw River. The rooms aren't huge, but they're comfortable and with everything you might need for your stay. The price is reasonable; the hotel isn't loud; the beds are comfortable. It can be a mildly long walk to your room, given the layout of the building, but it's not a deal-killer.

The parking is free; so is the wireless Internet. This will definitely be my home away from home on future trips to Lawrence.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DivemistressofthDark
Reviewed November 1, 2007

I stayed at this property while in town for a wedding and thought this hotel was a nice place to stay and very convient. The location is superb - downtown is only a few blocks away. The room itself was very spacious but the layout was a little strange. I stayed in a king room and the TV was in between the living room area and bedroom... which made it difficult to watch from either location. The TV was on a swivel tray, but it just wasn't the most logical set up for the room. I had friends staying in a double and their room had 2 TV's, one in the living room and another in the bedroom - this was much better. The view of the river was nice I guess... but it's just a big muddy river so I wasn't that impressed. It definitely beat just looking at a parking lot though. The room was very clean and the furnishings were in good condition. I didn't hear any noise from either of my neighbors, nor any noises coming from the halls. The one negative was that I did hear the train frequently blowing its horn throughout the night. I'm not sure where the tracks are in relation to the hotel, but the sound was definitely traveling down the river and I woke up from the noise more than once. Don't get me wrong, while there were a few things I noticed, this is probably one of the best places to stay in town (there's not many other "good" options in Lawerence).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Chicagotraveler18
Reviewed October 29, 2007

This was my 2nd time staying in Lawrence. The first time I stayed at some hotel by the freeway and always had to drive into town. This time I chose the Spring Hill Marriott and we were super pleased. Its within walking distance to downtown and is located on the Kansas River. The trains do come by the hotel closely but the way the building was engineered, you really dont hear them much. The room was spacious with a microwave, living room, two TVs, pull-out couch, etc. But the best part was breakfast! We ate waffles, cereal, bagels, good coffee and muffins. Some who were staying with us complained at first that the price per night at the Spring Hill Marriott was more than other hotels but when you factor in breakfast, you dont have to walk into town to buy an omelette for $8.95! Even though I was very pleased with this hotel, if I were to visit KU again, I would probably check out the Eldridge Hotel downtown just to mix things up and see a more historical hotel. But like I said, when Mandy Moore came into town recently, she stayed at the Spring Hill, so if its good enough for her, its good enough for me!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family