“Pretty Good, need a couple fixes to put it over the top!”

SpringHill Suites Lawrence
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Lawrence
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Visited Lawrence for a swim meet. We booked the SpingHill on a recommendation from Trip Advisor and from some personal friends. It is located at the north end of downtown Lawrence and all the rooms face the north and the river. The front desk first assigned us room 354 and when we entered we found it was not made up yet. Back to the front desk and this time we got room 254 and an apology. We stayed two nights. Pros include big, spacious rooms. Our even had a jacuzzi in it. Microwave and frig worked well. Big screen (projection) TV, Complimentary breakfast (get there early on the weekend). Cons: Ice Machine on 2nd floor. Mentioned that it was not working on three different occasions and while the front desk indicated that they would get maintenance on it right away, it was still not working when we left.

All in all, a very good stay. We will be back next year again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Opus345

Reviewed March 10, 2008

This hotel is the best location in Lawrence, hands down. The Massachusetts Avenue corridor with shopping, restaurants and nightlife is a five minute walk away.

The hotel has plenty of parking and has a gorgeous view of the Kaw River. The rooms aren't huge, but they're comfortable and with everything you might need for your stay. The price is reasonable; the hotel isn't loud; the beds are comfortable. It can be a mildly long walk to your room, given the layout of the building, but it's not a deal-killer.

The parking is free; so is the wireless Internet. This will definitely be my home away from home on future trips to Lawrence.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DivemistressofthDark
Reviewed November 1, 2007

I stayed at this property while in town for a wedding and thought this hotel was a nice place to stay and very convient. The location is superb - downtown is only a few blocks away. The room itself was very spacious but the layout was a little strange. I stayed in a king room and the TV was in between the living room area and bedroom... which made it difficult to watch from either location. The TV was on a swivel tray, but it just wasn't the most logical set up for the room. I had friends staying in a double and their room had 2 TV's, one in the living room and another in the bedroom - this was much better. The view of the river was nice I guess... but it's just a big muddy river so I wasn't that impressed. It definitely beat just looking at a parking lot though. The room was very clean and the furnishings were in good condition. I didn't hear any noise from either of my neighbors, nor any noises coming from the halls. The one negative was that I did hear the train frequently blowing its horn throughout the night. I'm not sure where the tracks are in relation to the hotel, but the sound was definitely traveling down the river and I woke up from the noise more than once. Don't get me wrong, while there were a few things I noticed, this is probably one of the best places to stay in town (there's not many other "good" options in Lawerence).

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank Chicagotraveler18
Reviewed October 29, 2007

This was my 2nd time staying in Lawrence. The first time I stayed at some hotel by the freeway and always had to drive into town. This time I chose the Spring Hill Marriott and we were super pleased. Its within walking distance to downtown and is located on the Kansas River. The trains do come by the hotel closely but the way the building was engineered, you really dont hear them much. The room was spacious with a microwave, living room, two TVs, pull-out couch, etc. But the best part was breakfast! We ate waffles, cereal, bagels, good coffee and muffins. Some who were staying with us complained at first that the price per night at the Spring Hill Marriott was more than other hotels but when you factor in breakfast, you dont have to walk into town to buy an omelette for $8.95! Even though I was very pleased with this hotel, if I were to visit KU again, I would probably check out the Eldridge Hotel downtown just to mix things up and see a more historical hotel. But like I said, when Mandy Moore came into town recently, she stayed at the Spring Hill, so if its good enough for her, its good enough for me!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2007

Be prepared to have trains blow by the hotel all night long, as the hotel is located along the river (and the railroad tracks). For those who enjoy the sound, you'll be in heaven. For me, hearing a train blow its whistle every 9 to 12 minutes was too much. The hotel is nice, but who cares if you can't sleep. (The trains run from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.)

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed October 1, 2007

My family stayed at Springhill Suites when we visited the college with our son and daughter. We had never been to Lawrence and found the whole experience to be delightful. The hotel was on the river in a charming location within walking distance to many shopping and eating places. Our room had 2 queen beds, a pull out couch and was very spacious. Everything looked new and clean. The breakfast had many choices and the staff went out of their way to help us with information and directions. They were so polite and friendly. We will definitely stay here again when we return.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2007

Have stayed here 4 times in last 12 months, and booked it again for August 07. Would readily recommend it. Think all rooms feature a fine view of the Kansas River. Quiet (despite the fact you walk over a train track to enter the hotel), clean, spacious, friendly staff, and a chocolatier in the lobby! No hotel bar, though there are oodles within a 5-minute walk. Try the Free State Brewery around the corner on Mass Ave, or Pachamama's, widely thought to be the best restaurant in town, 3 blocks down New Hampshire, just past the Border's. The downtown location is far superior in my viewto other Lawrence hotels, which are in the burbs or on very busy roads.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family