“Not what I remembered, screwy, but fine”

SpringHill Suites Lawrence
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Lawrence
Los Angeles, California
“Not what I remembered, screwy, but fine”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed here eight years ago and loved it, but for the life of me I can't remember why. I've stayed at the Eldridge on my most recent trips to Lawrence, and with it's perfect location and renovated rooms, I will return there next time. But, for a change of scenery, I decided to stay at the SpringHill Suites this go around. I liked the ample FREE parking (the Eldridge doesn't offer that, which is a major drawback), and the free wi-fi, but, the hotel is just weird. The Riverfront building used to be an outlet mall and the floor plan is really screwy. As I walked into the lobby, and then to my room, I was put off by the distance and time it took to get there. It reminded me of a hotel in Vegas - with endless hallways making it impossible to just "run out to the car" or lobby. The room itself reminded me more of an Embassy Suites, although the bed was fine. Pillows were a bit lumpy, but I slept okay. One GREAT thing about this hotel (like most in the world) is that one can cancel a reservation up to 6pm on the day of arrival. The Eldridge has a ridiculous rule that one must cancel their reservation 48 hours prior to arrival. With travel delays becoming more frequent, your best bet is to stay somewhere like SpringHill Suites, even if it's a bit screwy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Colorado
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The walking distance to Downtown Lawrence was a real plus for this location. We enjoyed some good restaurants and interesting shopping.

However, the room had a broken toilet seat, non-draining tub, and one of the so-called sanitarily wrapped glasses actually had a lip stick stain. I left a note for the cleaning staff and the only change that was made was that the glass we complained about was on the floor under the sink, and we weren't given a replacement.

Upon leaving the hotel we also left a note for management, but didn't get a response at all.

The breakfast was as good as any of these types of hotels, and the breakfast area, lobby was very nice. It was definitely a +/- experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Parker, Colorado
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I was satisfied overall with my stay at Springhill Suites in Lawrence. There aren't a lot of options in Lawrence, most hotels/motels are outdated. This one sits very close to Massachusetts street, which is why i chose it. Less than a block away you have a huge variety of shops, food, etc.. The hotel sits right on the river, so it's not a bad view...but there is a railroad track across the river and you WILL hear trains all night long. I don't mind the distant sounds of a train, but these are close enough to wake you up each time. I'm not a light sleeper and for me it was noticeable. As with most hotels, the heating unit is also loud..so that added to my sleep issues.
The hotel has a nice modern decor and is very clean and friendly. It was worth the train noise to be close to Mass street, but I think it's good to know ahead of time. The price for hotels in Lawrence isn't cheap - you're always looking at over $100/night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This summer we stayed at the Springhill Suites in Lawrence, Kansas. It was a perfect location for anyone who wants to explore the downtown area (Mass Street) or be close to the University of Kansas campus. The spacious suite offered a kitchenette/living area and nice king-size bed. The location was wonderful as we were able to walk to the Mass Street area which offered numerous restaurants and shops to explore. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful in giving us tips about the area and providing driving directions.

Room Tip: All rooms face the river but being in a higher up room would provide a better view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IL
Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is hidden way. Nice suite rooms with kitchenette. Rooms are generous in size. Comfortable and clean. Nice for an older remodeled property.

I was here one night and would not mind staying longer. Lovely pool and fitness center.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank GoinPlaces63
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I get the feeling many of the reviewers must be hard of hearing. As noted, the building is only a few feet from an active railroad track. You actually have to walk across an enclosed bridge over the tracks from the parking lot to the front door (which is on the third floor).

I was rudely awakened from sleep at least three times (I actually think it was four, but definitely three) when trains went through. Every train used its horn as it passed, which is fine for the train, but I never expected to be subjected to this.

Most of the rooms seem to be on the ground floor (yes, closest to the tracks). Mine was about ten doors away from the swimming pool, and I still had its strong chlorine odor permeating the room. despite the fact that apparently the pool door was closed and nobody used during my stay.

Decent location in town, and easy to get in and out of, but for this price the train problem is totally unacceptable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Lawrence hotels

Derby, Kansas
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times most recently in August while dropping our daughter off at KU this past August. Yes, the railroad does run right next to the building but I have never heard a train there (and I know for a fact that there are multiple trains through there each day including two Amtrak passenger trains at night.) I think what people do not realize is there is another set of railroad tracks across the river just out of view that are quite busy with several trains each day. That is where I have noted the train noise coming from...

Anyway, nice rooms, good breakfast, awesome location adjacent to Mass Street which is the most vibrant downtown shopping/dining area I have ever seen! If I had to ding this hotel for anything it would be the musty, mildewy smell in the hallway last time we stayed there...

Room Tip: The upper floor is actually the ground floor...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family