“Nice hotel”
Review of The Oread

The Oread
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Lawrence
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nice hotel rooms, good location, good view. There are only about 3 hotels I would stay it within walking distance of KU or Mass St (this is one of them). The hotel itself is very nice and there are a few restaurant areas inside. It's always been very clean. I've never had an issue with the rooms themselves.

However, I've had a few problems at the sports bar/restaurant (Bird Dog cafe) before. Once they charged my card twice and another time a friend and I had both of our drinks/food on one "tab" until we were ready to pay and the server double charged us. During some game days they will also have a limited menu, which makes me sad because then I can't get the food I really love. They refused to make it for me. It's good food though and they have some good beers on tap.

I know they have valet parking but I have never paid for it as I just find a place to park on the street (you are free to park on the streets, you just have to find a spot! Some times of the day are harder than others).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank kes18

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We visited Lawrence to attend a KU basketball game and stayed the night at The Oread. The facility is located on/near campus and is within walking distance of several restaurants. The room was extremely clean and the view of the campus from our room was breathtaking.
The staff was extremely helpful regarding where to park for the game, recommended restaurants (the food in the Bird Dog cafe looked delicious) and was attentive in bar/restaurant area.
I would definitely go here again when staying in Lawrence.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We chose this hotel because we were taking our daughter on a tour of college campuses and it was very handy to the U of Kansas. The young man working the front desk the afternoon we checked in was extremely friendly and helpful. He gave us several maps that helped guide us for a walk around the university as well as a trip into town.

The room was extremely spacious, well appointed and quiet. We didn't opt to eat dinner or have a drink at the hotel, but the facilities looked very inviting. We did have to pay for valet parking, but it was nice that we didn't have to schlep our bags from a distant parking lot to the room.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Lawrence - fabulous accommodations and a location that can't be beat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CarrieGF67
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I had to pay valet parking, when I arrived at 11pm. Normally I am OK with valet parking, but to get this extra fee in Kansas - in my opinion it is a little off - Further more, I had to call the reception after midnight to have them get music turned off somewhere in the building. As early as 6.30 the loud music was on again! The smell of greasy foods is also a constant companion in the corridor where the fitness room is. I was not impressed and I will NEVER choose The Oread again. However I would for this kind of money choose the Eldridge - or choose a cheaper hotel just off campus.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Aura4Laura
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was in town for a conference at KU, and had never stayed in the area before. When I arrived, after a long day of travel, I was immediately impressed and re-energized. The building, staff and amenities are all first-rate. The room was beautiful, comfortable and clean. There was even a sound machine next to the bed, and ear plugs, to help you sleep. The food is fantastic. I wish I had stayed for more than just one night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2012

This is really a three star hotel if comparing it on a national level, and really a five star for the State of Kansas/City of Lawrence. Hence the compromise on 4 stars.
If visiting the campus of KU the location is perfect. The staff is like everything in the area : helpful, kind and generous with their time and patience.
The food is actually very good in the upscale restaraunt with a suprisingly nice wine list.
The rooms while nice looking have some design flaws. For example the one phone is on a desk far from the bed, the shower stall in an otherwise large bathroom is tiny and dark. The curtains do not block out light etc etc.
Having said all that I enjoyed my stay and would return should I need to be in the Lawrence area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 25, 2012

In September we hosted our daughter's wedding and reception at the Oread Hotel. The wedding was held on the 9th Floor Terrace which has a beautiful view of the KU campus. The reception was held in the Griffith Room which worked out beautifully. It had a wonderful stone bar and being on the lower level allowed us privacy from the rest of the hotel.

The Oread staff was very nice and helpful. In particular we worked with Whitney Webber, the Event Coordinator, and she was always very professional, courteous and a pleasure to deal with. Prior to wedding I sent her numerous questions and always received an immediate response. On the day of the wedding, Whitney was there the entire time to ensure that everything went smoothly. I can't say enough nice things about her and how she handled our event. The Oread is lucky to have such a wonderful employee.

The only negative comment I have is regarding the private elevator used to take the guests to the 9th Floor Terrace. This was a hotel design issue and had nothing to do with the staff. The staff was at the elevator to direct our guests to the terrace for the wedding.

Again, we were very pleased with the Oread and would use them again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family