“Decent”

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Lawrence
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Decent”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The service was helpful when I checked in. Beds were firm as well. I loved the huge shower head. With all this said, I was surprised to find a mandatory $8 charge on my bill. I asked what that was for and was just told it was a mandatory charge without giving me a description as to what it was for. I don't like fees like this, so I will probably look at a different hotel when I stay there the next time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank protias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I had stayed at this Motel last night and will never go there again. I stayed in room 124 and the window heating unit was so loud that it kept me up all night. The bed was clean but the mattress was felt hard to my back. Showering was a real fiasco... The bathtub would not drain and the water went from very hot to cold and the shower head was loose as well. I will pay a little more in stay in a nicer hotel. The flat screen television, microwave, and mini-fridge were nice but not worth me loosing a night's sleep over...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank AllenF310
Raleigh NC
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I had to find something in town on very short notice, tripadvisor had this one highly recommended and the reviews were spot on. This was low season (mid january, brrrrr!) so the place was half empty, and when we checked in the owner/manager offered us the largest king suite in the place for $15 more a night than I was going to pay for the smallest, cheapest room.

Clearly the place is taken care of, as it was immaculate inside. The building itself is a little old but everything inside was new, in good shape, and clearly well cared for. I was very very happy, and even more so considering the price. I travel a TON for business and I wish most of our business hotels were run this well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ljwobker
Rochester, New York
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I was just driving through and picked this motel because of price and the reviews. Boy were they right. The staff was very friendly. The location was good. The price was right. Big room, comfy bed, and a good-quiet night sleep. Can;t beat that with a stick.

Room Tip: I like top floor rooms so nobody is making noise on my head.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Will M
kc
Reviewed January 13, 2013

If you are looking for an economical choice, you can't go wrong with the Virginia Inn. All rooms have an outdoor entrance/exit. There are two buildings (a two story and a single story). We were pleasantly surprised with the updated look to the room. Newer fixtures (tub, toilet, sink), tile, carpeting. While far from luxurious, even the base room was equipped with a refrigerator,microwave and 42" flat screen TV. Hair dryer, single cup coffee pot, desk and chair, and a recliner and free WIFI are also included.
Much more to offer than the economy chain hotels, and even better than most moderately priced chains. They even have 4 smoking rooms available, you don't find that much anymore!
Free continental breakfast consisting of muffins, danishes, instant oatmeal, cereal, bagels, coffee and juice.Grocery store across the street for any other needed food items.
The owners (I presume) run the place and they are very friendly.
As another reviewer stated, the lighting in our room was a tad dim, but it did not bother us at all.
You can bet we will be returning!

• Stayed January 2013
Effingham, Illinois
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I booked this room on Priceline for a great price after reading all of the good reviews. We recently stayed here one night while we were in town for a show at the Granada. This place is great for a one star! The man at the desk, who I presume is the owner upgraded our room at no cost to a room with a jacuzzi. He was very friendly and welcoming. The room had tons of space with a large flatscreen (which we didn't really use), fridge, microwave, etc. The bed was super comfortable as well. It is only a short drive to downtown Lawrence. My only complaint is the dim lighting but it didn't even really bother me so I guess that's a moot point. All in all this is an excellent value and better than many 3+ star hotels.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dylan M
Davenport
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed in August 2012, 2 nights, older motel, nice size rooms, very clean and great staff. Booked online and asked for a downstairs room if possible, and we did get one, even though they were very busy. Will stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family