“Great surprise!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lansing
ca
“Great surprise!”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

I was clearly taken aback by the bad reviews but needed to stay in Lansing directly. I was so pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness, friendliness of staff, and amenities that I do not understand the bad ratings. Everyone's standard is different but i can tell you that it has been years since I have stayed in anything but a full service 4 or ideally 5 star hotel like a Ritz Carlton or at least a Hyatt Resort hotel. The only thing missing at this hotel would be a nice restaurant but try 'Mamma Mia' in Leavenworth -American Italian and you will not regret your stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Check in took almost an hour. There was a line because they were so slow. You would think that we didn't have reservations. You had to fill out all of this stuff. Angie was like, "Do they want to know your blood type too?" Serious hassle.

Breakfast was blech, but the bugs were worse. Angie found some bugs that looked like ticks in her room the next day. I think they were there because this place welcomes pets. If you are going to do that, you need to make sure you clean the rooms thoroughly. Apparently, housekeeping is very bad.

We moved to a different hotel the next day and they wanted to know where we were staying. They interrogated Angie about the bugs and acted like they weren't going to let us leave. Check out took forever instead of being simple and quick. It was a pain because we had to do it during our lunch break.

Oh, and to top it off the only compensation they gave us was $10 off the room rate. I think Angie's should have been comped after all of that hassle.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Tennessee
Reviewed February 4, 2009

I would not recommend this hotel. My stay was OK. It was the money issue I found a problem with. I paid cash for my room. The clerk told me that she needed a credit card in case something was missing or broken. I asked her if my credit card was going to be charged. She stated it would not be charged unless something was missing or broken. I then returned home after my visit. Upon arriving home I looked at my credit card account online. To my surprise my credit card was charged and i paid cash. What? How can someone charge you twice? I called and could not get anyone to help me. They just told me it was my bank. Excuse me my bank only debits my account when someone sends a debit through. However, I finally got my money back days later. I did have to contact the BBB to get my money back quicker. I don't know about you but I value my money and I work hard for it.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The way they handled buisness.
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank KristieTennessee
LansingHieGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lansing - Leavenworth, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
KristieTennessee,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel! Every review we get is valuable to our hotel and greatly appreciated. I am sorry you had some issues while staying with us. I believe the main issue with the money was due to our credit card policy. Our Front Desk Representative was correct when she asked for a credit card. Our policy requires a credit card to be on file and authorized for every guest who is staying with us, regardless of payment method. This is for incidentals that may occur during the stay, such as telephone charges, laundry, or something more serious. While we know that our normal customers are never going to smoke in a non-smoking room or cause any damage to our property, there are some that do, and that is what the credit card is for. Unfortunately, banks are different on how they handle authorizations. Some banks will hold your money in your account for a day or two, some a week. I believe I am the one who spoke with you about your problems with your stay here. Unfortunately, I was not able to do anything about the money that your bank was holding. Therefore, you getting you money back was just your bank releasing that money back into your account. Most hotels have this credit card policy in effect. Please keep that in mind for future hotel stays.

Celeste Gammon
Kingsport TN
Reviewed April 30, 2008

This property is in very good condition - the rooms are well maintained, the public areas are clean. My worst facility complaint was that the spa heater was broken so the hot tub was not hot.

Then there was the manager, Celeste Gammon. When I went to check out Sunday morning, I found that I'd been charged more than double the rate I'd reserved for. I went to the desk, assuming it was just a mistake. The desk lady pulled up a record on her comuter screen, said something like, "Oh, I see what you mean. But I don't have the authority to change it." I said that the overcharge was very considerable and that I needed it changed. She called her manager, Celeste Gammon, and they had a discussion.

The desk lady, who was very sweet, finally said into the phone, "I am not going to tell him that - you will have to." She handed Celeste to me. Celeste said that whether I had been charged right or wrong, she would not change it. She repeated that the lady at the desk did not have the authority to change the account charge. I asked Celeste who did have the authority, and she said that she did. I then asked Celeste to correct the charge, and she said, verbatim, "General Managers do not work on weekends."

I was astonished. I asked the name of the property owner and she refused to furnish it. We're still disputing this and I am considering litigation.

I could not recommend this hotel in good conscience, due to their business practices and awful customer service.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — General Manager
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ProfessorPlumb
Oklahoma
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We booked our hotel at least six weeks in advance and were immediately charged for the two nights we were supposed to stay. Upon arrival, they had overbooked and put us up at Econo Lodge across the street which was not nearly as clean or nice as a Holiday Inn Express. I would advise anyone who thinks they have a reservation with Holiday Inn to call prior to arrival to be sure it will be honored.

• Liked — The room was nice when we got to stay the 2nd night of our reservation.
  • Disliked — Overbooked and did not have a room for the 1st night of our reservation.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't trust reservations.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank nunyakh
Tualatin, Oregon
Reviewed March 20, 2006

This Holiday Inn Express is so new, there was still painted barkdust when we stayed there in January 2006. We chose this hotel because we had our dog with us. There were Holiday Inn properties closer to Kansas City International Airport (MCI), but this one was the closest to the aiport that accepts pets (for a small fee, $10 or $20 as I recall).

NOTE: It turns out that not all Holiday Inn properties will accept pets; this is in part because many Holiday Inn properties are franchise-owned rather than corporate-owned, so each owner sets its own policies. Do not assume all Holiday Inn properties accept pets! Likewise, this it's not necessarily the newest ones that don't accept pets. Go figure!

As you can expect, the hotel being pretty new, everything is neat and works. It has a nice indoor pool and hot tub. Restaurants are nearby, as is historic downtown Leavenworth and Fort Leavenworth.

You have to go "over the river and through the woods" mostly on two-lane roads to get to MCI--going through the country is much faster than doubling back to I-70 and I-635--but if you have pets and want to stay at a Holiday Inn property, this is the place you need to stay. Even if you don't have pets, if you have business at the post or in town, put this Holiday Inn Express at the top of your list for accomodations.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank MAJ_JBM
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 12, 2003

This is a very nice, clean hotel which I would recommend except for the breakfast. We were looking forward to one of those cinnaman rolls that they advertise so highly. Well, not only were they out of those, there was nothing on the breakfast bar except banannas, 2 bagels, cereal, 4 poppy seed muffins, a few oranges and some juice. The attendant said that they were out of cinnamon rolls until Tues (it was Sun. a.m.) In fact, she said they were pretty much out of everything. The room was very nice and I would stay there again if I were in Lansing. I think I might make plans for eating breakfast out though.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Hampton Inn Leavenworth
Holiday Inn Kansas City Airport
#38 of 109 in Kansas City
Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport North
Best Western Premier KC Speedway Inn & Suites

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lansing - Leavenworth? Share your experiences!