“A Bit of a Disappointment”

Holiday Inn Express Lansing - Leavenworth
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lansing
Alabama
“A Bit of a Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Sadly, it appears the management is not taking pride in keeping this hotel in tip-top shape. Perhaps it is because there is little competition in Leavenworth, but that is sad. While the breakfast was good (I stick to boiled eggs, yogurt, OJ, and maybe a bagel), the room was not squeaky clean. The GFI plug in my bath was broken and when I asked for a repair, it was replaced with a standard plug - scary! Noted out my window that the door to the huge Carrier AC unit below was open and the filter hanging halfway out. There was a large rusty spot in the center of my tub and the bathroom door handle was cracked and loose. The carpet either needed a really good cleaning or perhaps replacement. It lacked easily available plugs for phone and computer.

On the bright side, I felt safe in this hotel, the staff was friendly, the desk was managed efficiently, and check out was a breeze. I will stay here again, but do hope management takes a more a time role in maintenance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lansing - Leavenworth, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear JeanC_9,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed here for four nights for business. Very clean and has a great breakfast (scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes, pastries, oatmeal, fruit, yogurt, milk and coffee/tea). Can't ask for more than that unless you're staying at Embassy Suites where their eggs are cooked to order. There are several restaurants within walking distance including Pizza Hut, Arby's Burger King, La Carreta Mexican Restaurant (very good). They also have fresh baked cookies at the check-in counter. Swimming pool, hot tub and a small fitness center. Although some reviewers said the property was worn and showing wear in the carpets, etc., I found it well cared for and well maintained. Maybe it has been renovated, I don't know. Regardless it struck me as a clean, well cared for property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Al L
Red Oak, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

stumbled upon this place after a late nite move from a nasty super 8... the staff was fantastic the rooms were clean and smelled fresh... the bed... well i wish i had one at home that was this comfy... you all are doing a great job.. if i am ever in the area again I will book with you above anyone... when you are traveling with family for hours you want to relax when you get to your destination... at least i do.. and we stayed in about 6 hotels over a 2 week period and this by far was the best.. Thank you

Room Tip: i was very pleased and for me to be this satisfied says a lot...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Parsberg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

We visit Leavenworth every year or so to visit family and have always stayed here. Unfortunately, this will not be the case again as the hotel is very much worn out and showing the age. It's badly in need of a complete overhaul. Carpets are stained and threadbare, countertops are chipped, floor tiles are cracked and broken, tub was stained, A/C was unpredictable, and so on. The pool was closed during our entire visit, the elevator was broken one day and the vending machines were out of order. Customer Service was also lacking. We reserved a suite online that specified a King bed and pull out couch for two adults and three children. We were given a handicapped accessible room with one King Bed. When I questioned the gentleman at the Front Desk, he said it was a comparable room. Eventually he was able to find us a suite and we moved in there, but I had to move the crib we had requested from the first room to the second room. We will be looking elsewhere on our next trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Lansing hotels

Christiana, Tn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Spent 3 nights there and it was all okay, except if your toilet gets stopped up, expect to use the plunger yourself as they bring it to the door and run! We had no other issues and plan to stay there anytime we are in the area. Everyone was friendly and helpful the whole time.

Room Tip: Get a 3rd floor room as you can hear people walking around above you if you are in the lower rooms.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New Braunfels, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

My nephew and i stayed at the holiday inn express on the 21st and checked out on the 22nd of july my newphew and i went swimming in the pool for roughly about an hour we had to get out of the pool due to, to much chemicals being pool it made us sick the kids had green mucas, kept coughing and sneezing, i on the other hand got a UTI. A hotel rep called me the following day which was monday 23rd to follow up on us to make sure we were ok and she had stated in the call that they had a their pool company come out and run some test and it came back as there were to much chemicals in the pool and were going to have to drain the pool and clean the pool out. All i was asking from the hotel is to refund my full amount from my stay but they only refunded $18. Be aware of this hotel they do not take care of there customers at all. i will never ever stay at a holiday in again due to this bad experiance.

2 Thank MarkNMargo
Junction City, Kansas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I had the worst hotel experience I have had in my entire life at the Holiday Inn Express in Lansing Kansas. I had stayed there several times prior and the weekend staff were and always have been wonderful!! They were VERY polite and went above and beyond to make my stay comfortable. Now the management I can not say the same for. During one of my last stays there the pool gave my child a horrible rash due to the amount of the chemicals in the pool. The Monday after I returned from my stay, the assistant manager contacted me and informed me they wanted to "make this right" and would like to refund my stay. I informed her I already had a reservation in 2 weeks and just asked instead of sending me a check, if they could just apply it to my future stay. The manager said YES she could and that everything was taken care of. Upon my arrival the desk clerk thanked me for coming back, set me up with my room and never mentioned anything about payment (my assumption everything was taken care of as I was promised and the fact that I have never stayed in a hotel for 1 night and payment was not taken prior to getting my room key (and no credit card). The actual stay was fine until the next day when I checked out. No one was at the front desk so I left my room keys on the counter and left. A couple hours later I received a voicemail stating if I did not pay for my nights stay by noon, the police would be called. I returned to the hotel at 12:30pm to try and figure out what was going on and the front desk clerk informed me that the police had already been called, a report had been filed on me and that she contacted the assistant manager and she told her that she had called me back after speaking to me a couple weeks ago and informed me they were unable to "rollover the credit" to another stay and that the check had been mailed out 2-3 days ago. When I returned home I called to try and speak to the GM and she refused to speak with me and as I told the assistant manager I checked my call logs online and that I had never received a return call from her, the story changed that she never told me that to begin with. So here it is a month later, the GM has still never returned my calls or emails and still no check from my second stay along with no admission that they made a mistake. I stayed there an average of 2-3 times a month and planned on continuing this for the next year but I refuse to stay there again. I got to know the weekend staff very well and they were all wonderful but the management at this hotel are disrespectful and unprofessional. Not to mention my credit card on file was overcharged (I had 2 on file and both were charged for my last stay) in which I paid cash for. The staff even informed management that I always paid cash and that I come to town for meetings and that I was unable to answer my phone while in my meetings and to just wait for a little while longer to try and get in contact with me personally but instead, they contacted law enforcement at 10am.....BEFORE checkout time technically. All of this was due to a mistake by 1 member of their management and could have been prevented if they followed through with what they promised. I will gladly spend my money somewhere that my business is appreciated.

5 Thank Roxie J
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lansing - Leavenworth, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Roxie J,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lansing
Hampton Inn Leavenworth
Hampton Inn Leavenworth
#1 of 4 in Leavenworth
Fairfield Inn & Suites Leavenworth
Ramada Platte City Kci Airport
Quality Inn & Suites Kansas City Airport North
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kansas City Airport-KCI East
Residence Inn Kansas City at The Legends

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lansing - Leavenworth? Share your experiences!