“Not great. Not bad, but not great.”

Comfort Inn Kansas City
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We accidentally booked this hotel instead of another hotel with a similar name in roughly the same area. The room itself was fine. It was starting to show its age, especially the TV. The pillows were not great at all, but that's my biggest complaint about the room.

My bigger complaint is the service. We arrived shortly after 3 pm and the two ladies working the desk were swamped. One appeared to be training the other, which resulted in both being slow. The first big turn off came when the phone rang. She told the caller to hold while she transferred him to the manager, then, in front of the 8 or so people in the lobby, yelled "Dont answer it!" to the manager, whose name I believe was Tim. The one training the other one appeared tired and uninterested.

If you choose to eat breakfast here, you better know how to operate the cereal dispensers and the waffle iron. If you are struggling, be prepared for the breakfast room attendant to yell at you. Trust me. She yelled at me once for failing to see the white knob that controls cereal flow, and she yelled at 2 other people for not knowing how to properly operate the waffle iron. So if a white-haired woman wearing a name tag that says "Audrey" is working breakfast, you might as well stick with the fool proof items...like yogurt. Biscuits and gravy are a good call, but the person I was eating with found a hair in his biscuit.

This place isn't bad as it is, but with the right management and a few people who cared, it could be a great little hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on Tuesday, June 25th after watching the Royals/Braves game. We decided to stay at the hotel based upon the reviews we had read on tripadvisor, relative to similar hotels in the area.

My initial reaction was negative, as we arrived after 11 and didn't get checked in for at least 30 minutes. The check-in lady at that time was a cleaning supervisor (nice lady, but gets raddled if something doesn't go well) or something to that effect, and was having trouble with the systems. She finally called the manager of the hotel at her home, and we were finally able to get our room key shortly thereafter.

I had previously called the hotel to ensure the check-in would not be an issue at that time, since we were going to the Braves game (started at 7:10) and they assured me there would not be any issues. I understand issues happen, but thought it was a bit ridiculous, coupled with the fact that we had gotten food prior to our arrival and planned to eat it after check-in. Needless to say, our food was cold after the check-in was complete. I thought our luck was about to change as I noticed there was a microwave in the room, but unfortunately it did not function.

The room itself was fine. The bed appeared clean, the television worked and the air conditioner was great.

The next morning my wife was looking to blow dry her hair, but the blow dryer was not working. There were a few buttons on the dryer we attempted to push, and attempted again after a call to the front desk, but couldn't get it to work. I called a second time and a cleaning lady was sent immediately and after multiple attempts, she was able to resolve the issue.

We then had breakfast. Breakfast was better than just a honey bun wrapped in a package, but if you're expecting a lavish buffet, then you will be disappointed. Fortunately, we weren't expecting much and we had no issues with the breakfast. They had fruit, yogurt, pastries, cereal, Belgian waffle maker, and biscuits and gravy. The space was cramped, but we fortunately found a seat.

Check-out was at 11:00. We were asked about our stay and I indicated the stay wasn't the best, but overall it was pretty good. The manager asked why and I told her about our check-in issues and a few other things. She was nice enough to provide a partial discount on our room. She could have very easily not even asked, or provided a discount, so I'm very appreciative of her for that fact.

Overall, I thought the stay was okay. The cleanliness was great, the room was fine and ample parking. I would probably stay there again if in the area, as some of the other reviews for similar hotels seem much worse, and the manager was looking for feedback and tried to help to make our stay better by somewhat lowering the hotel rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Stayed one night on way home. Family of 5. Plenty of room for us and our luggage, which we were grateful for. Clean, and half updated, half outdated. New beds and paintings, old carpet and paper. All in all, it was a clean & quiet hotel just minutes from the I-70. Good breakfast. Pool is teeny and hot! If you need to cool off head for the hot tub. Ironically it is cooler b/c all the heat is translated into the pool. Hot tub is part of pool.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 12, 2013

A person staying in my room tried to flush the toilet after use and it overflowed. He contacted the front and was only hand a plunger and was told to resolve the issue himself. When he returned to the front desk for additional assitant help no staff aided him and staff member, Fran, responded very sarcastically. I also witnessed Fran scowling housekeeping staff in front of customers. Also, in any instance were I ask for additional towels, I was treated with sarcastic remarks as in, "Really dude?" Also, Fran's daughter, maybe 12yoa, freely roamed the facilities in socks each night of my stay. There is apparently a lack of leadership and maturity. Customer service was terrible. I did not feel welcomed.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed at this Comfort Inn for 4 nights; yes, the pool was empty; but I found all of the staff exceedingly friendly, including a little snack for me when I arrived around midnight. Shout out to Fran who got the WiFi working on my laptop. I found the room clean (great job by the housekeeping staff); all of the mechanicals worked well; and a rarity for me: all of the equipment in the fitness center worked, including the TV. The hotel was easy to get in and out of, a little noisy in the Odd-numbered rooms. Thanks to a new contract, I'll be coming to the KC area regularly, and this is really handy to I-70/435 and all of the food places around the Legends area.

Room Tip: If you can get an "Even Number room" it should be a little quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ValpoInd
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I can sum this up pretty quickly. They had we people, a man & a woman at the front desk. Both were rude. Upon entering the building we find that the pool is shut down due to being painted. This is something they knew would be happening when our reservation was made but somehow never once mentioned. If they would have shared this information with us we could have found someplace else that had a pool for our children... Needless to say, we will not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2013
comfortkc, General Manager at Comfort Inn Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Dear Guest, we like to apologize for any inconvenience that was caused upon check in at the hotel. We had to close the pool due to safety precautions for our guests and we are taking necessary steps to open the pool as soon as possible, When you made the reservation, our pool was open. We take many measures for the safety of our guests. We will be retraining the two staff members that were on the shift that checked you in. We appreciate your stay with us and we hope that the pool closure will not deter your future stay with Comfort Inn. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night after attending the NASCAR race. The staff was very nice and helpful with answering questions about the area. For the price I felt the room was very nice and clean. There is a large shopping mall area a few miles away with many choices of quality restaurants. We went to Dave and Busters.
One suggestion would be to add more channels to the TV as there are only about 25. Missing are the standards like Discovery, AE, History, Fox News etc. Basically just locals, weather channel, and ESPN. If you happen to be traveling with kids, there is no Disney or Cartoon channel.
Overall though I was glad we picked this place.

• Stayed: April 2013