“Nice Place for Extended Stay and Speedway Visit”

Candlewood Suites Kansas City Speedway
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We just stayed a couple of days but I could easily have stayed a few more due to the full kitchen and home-life feel. If you are a light sleeper or like the room to be dark, ask for the east side of the building or away from the outside bbq area because we could hear people outside until way in the night and the curtains do not close, just sheers so there's lots of like all the time. The staff were very friendly and the room was clean. The furniture was a little worn and the thermostat was hard to get right due to the proximity of the a/c. It would be nice if they had a pool instead of the sparsely used gym. Just minutes away from the speedway, casino, shopping and restaurants. Value for the money.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper, ask to be far away from the bbq area because the windows do not block...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2014

"Fitness room" sucked. The equipment wouldn't have been satisfactory for a single person in a home, even...
given accessible room on 3rd floor (We didn't ask why, and hasdn't ordered one). only one chair, a large table and a living room chair in the sleeping area.

the kitchen was equipped with everything we needed for cooking. we needed to use our own can opener. since the one there was rusted.
The bathroom was roomy and clean... well, since there was no toilet lid, it couldn't have been clean, since every flush moves all the bacteria around the room. The shower/tub was adequate, the water pressure was good.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Kansas City Speedway, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear rustyferrel,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I'm pleased you were happy about the kitchen and bathroom facility. I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us due to the issues you had with your fitness room andamenities you received. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 7, 2014

First of all the one very good thing I would like to say, if you ever should go to this hotel please stop in and say hello to front end employee, SIERRA. Sierra is a prime example of what a professional should be like. Sierra is kind, smiles and never has a negative word to say. If Sierra does not have the answer, she will not stop until she has the answer for you. This is just what I experienced during my stay from 26th June-7th July 2014. Also, I cannot say enough kind words about the entire Housekeeping force including supervisors Alfredo and Laura. This is where the kind words stop. The first 7 days were free for my family and I due to the fact we accumulated the reward points to stay. There was no pool except for 3 miles away at the Kansas City YMCA. The front end staff except Sierra and Reece were the only front end staff the I can say anything nice about. For the first 4 days my family and I experienced a barrage of problems by a few of the front end employees including many mechanical problems with our room. we felt extremely intimidated by the 2 employees that treated us horribly. Our toilet bowel overflowed constantly. Our air conditioner was warm and finally broke down and hadto be completely taken out on a Subday morning. We had complained about all of these problems upon deaf ears for 4 days until management became involved. For the most part they took care of things,but there were problems with this as well. The GM comped us the last 2 of last 4 nights and then applied points into our account, but he took these points out in order to comp us the last 2 nights????? This does not sound like a reward at all. They should have gave us our points and comped us the points they put in our account originally. They should have never had us use our reward points to pay for their alleged comp nights on the 5th and 6th July 2014. These points need to be returned. The GM wrote me a letter back stating My family and I received the free nights on a promo night and that they were being kind giving it to us. Bottom line: MR. Good I hope contacts me and this situation was handled completely wrong.......Sierra at the front desk is a prime example of how someone in the hotel business should act. Thank you, Sierra for all you do. FYI: If the 4 days were not bad enough we were requested to attend a meeting with the GM and his female assistant. I sure hope this gets resolved.

Room Tip: The beds are small, but the kitchenette is nice. Look around at other hotels first. Air conditioning...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Gary C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Kansas City Speedway, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Gary C,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate to see you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We brought our two kids to Kansas City for a long weekend. This hotel was in a great location, close to the mall, restaurants and baseball stadium. We were very impressed with the friendliness of the staff. Amber (supervisor) was fantastic and very accommodating. Definitely recommend this place!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a business trip. Location is great- near Legends Outlet Mall. Room clean and spacious. Our only complaint would be the amount of pillows. I am sure if we would have asked we could have gotten more. Highly recommend the stay!

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel room that worked well for our short stay. The room was very nice, modern, and updated. To our surprise there was a small kitchen area which was very nice to have. The kitchen area features a small two burner stove complete with pots to use if you need to cook. Also there was silverware,wine opener etc. Also, a microwave and a small refrigerator. The only down thing, I would say, was that there was no trashcan in the bathroom. I think that just may have been an oversight. Also the towels were a bit rough and thin. The front desk clerks were all very nice and efficient. Also, the hotel had a wonderful aroma when we first walked in. Very nice. This is a nice part of Kansas City. It's very close to the legends shopping area Also nearby are tons of restaurants-sit down and fast-a Walmart, a TJ Maxx, and a Sam's.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Nicole C
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I stayed here one night on business. I probably would not have reserved this room, but it is where I was instructed to stay and I was pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were quite spacious, comfortable, and clean. I had a Queen room which had a 2-burner stove, refrigerator, microwave, desk w/ 2 chairs, flatscreen TV, recliner, queen-sized bed, and large 4-piece bathroom. Kitchen area had laminate flooring, carpeting in the sleeping area, and tile in the bathroom (or vinyl - can't remember). Air conditioning was excellent - easy to manipulate temperature. Wi-fi was fast and free. The only downside was the pillows - a bit hard. I normally bring my own and I forgot this time. But, I still slept well but had to get up rather early for business. Bed, itself, was very comfortable and linens were nice. Towels were nice as well.

Staff was very pleasant and accommodating. There was the option to borrow DVDs from the front desk (which I did not do - had to work and get some sleep). No breakfast but there was coffee. Lobby area is rather small and I found it odd that the front door was automatic (to help you get in and out with your luggage) but there was another inner door that was not automatic - kind of defeated the purpose of the front door. Just an observation - I didn't have much luggage, so it wasn't an issue.

All-in-all, a very nice hotel. I'm sure if you have an extended stay, this would be a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business