“A great, affordable option”

Candlewood Suites Kansas City Speedway
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Denver, Colorado
“A great, affordable option”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My coworker and I booked a last-minute trip and stayed here as it was the most affordable hotel in the area. The suites were cozy and clean with plenty of space! It was wonderful to have a full kitchen and I thought the bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept on. Although I was right across from the reception area, I did not have any problems with noise. The staff was also very nice and helpful! This is an excellent option for anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune for an easy, comfortable hotel stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Kansas
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this room because of the convenience to the shopping at Legends Mall. I was in the area for my son's college football game and decided to stay the night and get in a little shopping. The hotel is perfectly located to the mall and all the other attractions in the area. (Hollywood Casino, Nebraska FurnitureMart, Speedway, soccer stadium...) It is not as "fancy" as the hotels I'm used to staying at. There is hardly a lobby, no bar, restaurant, game room etc, but the room itself was very nice and spacious. Rooms were clean and the young lady running the front desk was very helpful. I had two children with me so it was nice to have a full size refrigerator and two TV's in the suite.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
kansas city
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We rented a suite here for our Anniversary, as we also went to the Hollywood Casino and the Casino offers free shuttle service (only till 11:00 pm). (No drinking and driving here)! It is a very nice, clean, spotless, facility. The mattress was very comfortable and we loved that we could open the window and sleep with fresh air! If I had only one request, it would be for better pillows, hated the flat pillows, like them nice and fluffy. But all and all, GREAT DEAL! We booked online and got the "casino rate" for $99, that was cheaper than all the other hotels out there at the Legends, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn, Best Western Premier, and Country Inn & Suites. And you get a whole kitchenette - minus an oven, but you do have a microwave oven. Would definitely recommend and will definitely stay there again when we attend a function out at the Legends, Speedway, or Casino.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KansasCityNicole
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Let's start with confirming the reservation and time the room would be ready the morning of. At arriving at 3:30 pm (check-in at 3), we were told the room would not be ready for another 1/2 hour. No apology was given, just that the hotel was booked the night before. As previous engagements were planned and we weren't returning to the hotel until at least midnight, we asked for a room key. It was not offered immediately, telling us we would have to come back to the front desk upon our return. Once it was explained, we were hesitantly given a key.

Upon our return, on the third floor when the elevator opened, we were met with a stench of smoke so bad it made us gag.

The two pillows on our king size bed were flat as all can be. The bed moved way too easily and in the middle of the night, I woke up with my head falling off as the bed had moved a foot away from the wall.

Upon taking a shower, the water was cold and the drain was plugged. By the time I got out, the water was up to my ankles.

The next day, after seeing how rude and uncooperative the manager was, a letter to the corporate office was written. It took more than two weeks to be answered, with no apology, only that they were talking to the most appropriate party.

After a stay like this, and having absolutely no resolve to the situation at all, I would not even begin to consider stay at any Candlewood whatsoever.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Stephanie W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Kansas City Speedway, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Stephanie W,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
U.S.A.
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We tried a condo type hotel in the Leavenworth area when we first arrived. That was a big mistake. I had originally wanted to stay here, but gave the negative reviews too much weight. I'm glad I tried it for myself.

First of all, the daytime staff is phenomenal. You'd almost think that they were the owners due to their high level of courtesy and helpfulness. The night staff, for the most part, is good. There is only one girl who is completely unhelpful and somewhat rude. I'll take that up with the hotel management and leave it out of this review. (I'll also be writing corporate to compliment a wonderful daytime employee who really went out of her way for us. I'm really grateful to her.)

We have been here four days and nights so far and expect to stay another week. We have a queen sized bed in a separate bedroom, and a full size pull out bed in the living room area. The kitchen is equipped with a full size refrigerator/freezer, a dishwasher, microwave, toaster, and two burners for cooking. The hotel also includes dishwashing powder, basic pots and pans, and a place setting for four.

The living room has a large flat screen tv with a dvd player. The bedroom also has a television. There is also a DVD lending library at the front desk.

The laundry room is on the first floor adjacent to the fitness center. The washers and dryers are free to use.

There is a small pantry where guests can buy small items that may be needed, including laundry detergent, toiletries, snacks, and drinks. Surprisingly, the mark up is not high. For example, a bottle of water is $1, about what you'd pay at a convenience store, but three times less what one would pay at other extended stay hotels.

Most importantly, the hotel is CLEAN. Our room was absolutely spotless. I have to admit, I was a bit concerned about cleanliness since a) I'm very picky and b) this is a pet friendly hotel. There was no need for concern. I even mopped the bathroom and kitchen floors upon our arrival with a Swiffer wet pad and absolutely no dirt or dust was visible on the cleaning pad. The housekeeping staff clearly works very hard and they do a phenomenal job.

Speaking of housekeeping, I love that the room is only cleaned once a week. When moving, we tend to have a lot of valuables in our room and it's nice not to worry about them. The hotel provides additional dish soap if needed (free at the front desk), garbage bags, etc. There are large trash containers at every stairway entrance so guests can empty the trash in their rooms. Housekeeping will come by to vacuum or allow you to borrow a vacuum if needed between weekly visits.

The bed is comfortable and the room is quiet. The suites are set up in such a way that one cannot hear hallway noise from the bedroom (e.g. people letting their hotel room doors slam shut... Why do people do that??). I have not heard my neighbors from the hotel room, but can hear them clearly when I am in the hallway. I hope I don't jinx myself by writing that!

Other information:

* No pool
* Right across the street from Target, next to Wal-Mart, and a traffic light away from Legends. Twenty minutes from Fort Leavenworth.
* 100% NON-smoking! There are also notices in the rooms that those who violate this policy will be charged a $150 cleaning fee. There are plenty of outdoor areas to smoke, as well as a covered gazebo with an ashtray. This seems like a win/win for all of us.

We've lived at Fort Leavenworth before and tried other hotels in the area when PCSing to and from the area, including properties by KCI. For families, this is hands down the absolute best location. I highly recommend!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelingFamily01
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We did a quick one overnight trip to KC for two days at Schlitterbahn. Selected the candlewood suites as it gave us the option of a room with a sleeping area that is separated by a door from the living area. With young kids that crash early after a big day at the waterpark, we really wanted to be able to put the kids to bed and then still hang out and chat, rather than sitting in the dark whispering after the kids went to sleep.

The room was clean and comfortable. The furnishings (though not fancy) were attractive, modern, and clean. The full kitchen was nice, but we were a tad disappointed that their definition of a "full" kitchen does not include an oven. We had purchased some refridgerated biscuits to make for breakfast, and discovered that we had no way to bake them. Oh well, Target and Wal Mart are both very close, so we just ran to Target for doughnuts and Starbucks. Not such a bad turn of events.

Excellent location, very close to Schlitterbahn, Legends Mall, and all of the other attractions in this area. We really enjoy this whole new development. Plenty there to fill a family weekend.

I really appreciated the free laundry facilities! If you forget your own detergent, there is detergent available in the hotel "convenience store" and it isn't ridiculously overpriced! All of the items there are faily reasonable as far as "convenience store" items go.

This hotel will definitely be one that we are likely to return to for our next waterpark weekend!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MarieMom25
Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA
Reviewed July 1, 2012

This hotel has a terrific location within walking distance of the speedway, soccer stadium, ballpark, Legends mall and dozens of great restaurant options! I loved the kitchenete, complete with full size fridge, microwave and dishwasher, because I was traveling with kids. The room was spacious and even had a lounge chair and a desk/ kitchen table. The rooms would also be perfect for a "home away from home" for someone on an extended business trip. The staff were were extremely friendly and helpful! Keep in mind this hotel does not have a lot of frills- housekeeping just once a week and no restaurant, etc. There is a small shop with a few food and toiletry items (and Walmart is just across the parking lot, too.) My only complaint was that my air-conditioning worked a little TOO well! The weather was extremely hot outside and the room was very comfortable by day, but a bit too chilly at night, and my attempts to turn it down were unsuccessful. (I did not ask for management assistance with the air, although my experience was that they were more than willing to help.). All in all, it was a great experience and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family