“Pricey but absolutely worth every penny”

Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Lawrence, KS
“Pricey but absolutely worth every penny”
Reviewed July 7, 2009

I booked the Castaway Isle Suite for 1 night for my boyfriend's 40th Birthday. I called and made arrangements ahead of time to have the "Romance Package" added while we were at dinner and estimated that 8:00 would be a good time for the staff to do that.. We checked in much later than I had planned and still needed to shower and get ready to go out for dinner at Legends close by. Initially I was disappointed when I saw no iron or ironing board in the room, but when I called the front desk requesting the items; they were brought to the room right away. We didn't leave for dinner until after 8:00. When we returned to our room about 10:30pm everything in the Romance Package was in place, except for the chocolate covered strawberries & cream. Instead there was a little note asking me call the front desk before 10:00pm to have them brought to the room. Since they didn't know what time we would return, it made sense not to leave them out. However, it was already 10:30 and I thought there might be a problem. When I called the front desk, the gal was very courteous and said it was not too late and had them brought right to our room in less than 10 minutes. Every encounter we had with the staff was excellent. The Jacuzzi tub with the cool lighting is the best feature in the room. The surround sound was great for setting the mood. The sparkling cider was fantastic and the breakfast was excellent --especially the coffee and huge cinnamon roll. The room was clean, cool and the bed was absolutely heaven and we slept very well.

I've done a lot of travel and stayed at different hotels and B&B's but this was unlike anywhere I have ever stayed and was a really memorable event. If you're looking for a 5-star hotel with all the amenities, this is not it. It is a quirky themed style inn that caters to younger adventurous lovers. If you are watching every penny or want something big and roomy then opt for something cheaper, but if you want to treat your sweetheart to a really unique romantic getaway (and score bonus points for being so creative) where you can play off their fantasy themes then go for it. You won't regret it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
kc
Reviewed June 16, 2009

We wanted to get away and have a romantic weekend. And that is what we got. It was better then we expected. Our room was amazing! The staff was wonderful as well.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Grantham, England
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My wife has always wanted to go there and as we were recently married i thought it the perfect time. Before I booked though I read a few reviews and found to my dismay that it had often been said that the service was lacking. I decided that I would go for my wife and found that the problems that they had faced had obviously been taken care of. The service for the staff was excellent!

There was plenty of parking on our arrival and when we approached the front desk the lady was very polite and efficient.

The room (Mayan Rainforest) was ready for us and we found it to be charming, well decorated and clean. It had and excellent entertainment system and a bottle of very nice cider chilled and ready for us.

Later we used the in-house DVD collection and took a chrometherapy session in th whirlpool bath, believe me you have to try it. Very relaxing!

While we were there we also booked one of the romance packages which was very nice, it included rose petals for the bed, chocolate dipped strawberries which were delightful and a few other things wish I have to say I don't remember at this time.
The breakfast in the morning come on time and was warm, delivered my a very happy and polite maid. The only criticism about our stay was the breakfast. The food there is obviously pre-made and it lets the experience down in my opinion. Also room service is very limited, I felt hat it was definitely something they could improve upon.

Check out was as easy as check -in and just as polite.

Overall the stay was very peaceful, we didn't hear anything from outside the room and the beds are indeed the most comfortable we have ever slept in. We'll bve going back at times in the future and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone else.

Well done Château Avalon!

Reviewed June 6, 2009

Thoroughly enjoyed the room themes and little extras - Champagne, rose petals, chocolate strawberries. In short, a great romantic gettaway for any couple.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2009

I have been to the Chateau Avalon many times and each time it exceeds my expectations. Everything is flawless, the service, accomindations, food,etc. They go out of their way to create an unique experience and make memories that last a lifetime.

Reviewed May 8, 2009

Check in and check out were a breeze. Room was very clean..and perfect temperature. I can't honestly say if I would of paid full price for the room considering it to be on the small side and it's in Wyandotte County. We enjoyed the large bathtub immensely. Wish there would of been more food choices for the evening indulgences and breakfast. The complimentary cinnamon roll wasn't cook completely and was raw in the middle. We both ordered the omelet and it was tasty, if a bit small. The fruit that came with it was fresh and fantastic. The place was very quiet and the staff wasn't pestering us..so that's a big plus. Check out is at 12..so we were taking our time. We had breakfast delivered at 9:45, but for some reason, some one came and knocked on our door and gave us all of 10 seconds to answer it before they were opening it up. I assume it was housekeeping. I would of been irritated had I still been asleep. Otherwise, it was a pleasant stay and if I can find other price reductions or special offers then I would definately stay again!

Reviewed March 30, 2009

I took my boyfriend there to celebrate his birthday last night. Turned out to be a lot of fun. We stayed in the Jesse James Excape suite. I loved the idea of this from the beginning. There was a mock cabin in front of the bedroom, which overlooked the whirlpool tub that was surrounded by stone and a wall mural of a train robbery. The bathroom had a nice walk-in shower that came in handy, and the front of it was a bank facade. We forgot to put out our breakfast card before 11 PM, but that just meant we had more time to snuggle in bed. I brought champagne and chocolate covered strawberries from home, which turned out perfectly and saved a few dollars. The only extra money I spent on the room was for candles. There were votives all around the tub when we got there, it was a nice touch. During our stay you could hear the rooms above and next to us. It wasn't terrible, but you could definitely hear music, some bed squeaking and a few funny little noises in the middle of the night, and you knew when someone was using their bathtub. I would go back and check it out again. Fun to do something different then the typical hotel room.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple