“Awful Customer Service”

Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City
“Awful Customer Service”
Reviewed February 24, 2009

This post is not meant to be an attack. It is simply stating my experience with Chateau Avalon. The hotel itself looks very nice, and I'm sure that several guests have not experienced issues such as this. This is, however, indicative of a larger problem with overall customer service.

I had made an online reservation for the night of February 13th. I made the reservation on February 1st. I had placed the reservation on a credit card that has a limit on how much you can spend in one transaction. Per their website, the cost at time of reservation would be 50% of the total cost of the room. Unbeknownst to me, the rate I had been offered was a special 72-hour sale, and the cost at time of reservation was 100% of the total cost of the room. This amount was over the transaction limit set by my credit card company, and thus, the transaction was not accepted.

This would have been fine, as I would have placed the reservation on another card. However, no attempt was made to contact me! I found out about the problem when I contacted Chateau Avalon to confirm the reservation three days later. I was then informed that my credit card was declined. I asked if I could put the reservation on another card, but the woman (who was actually very cordial) said that the room had already been booked. I asked if there was another room, but she said that there were no more rooms available.

Needless to say, I was quite upset by this, as this was supposed to be a Valentine's Day surprise for my girlfriend, who absolutely loves this hotel. The woman I spoke said that I might be able to contact the manager to get a free room on another date. I left a message for the manager, promptly made a reservation at another hotel, and the next morning, a representative (not the manager) contacted me. She said that I had indeed been contacted by phone and by email. This came as a shock to me, as I never received any email, and I was never contacted by phone, and never had a voicemail message. She said that the person who put the notes on my account was very diligent about this, and definitely made the attempt to contact me. She believed her staff over the customer over a very simple matter, and that is definitely a mistake.

I was dumbfounded that she even suggested that I was wrong. She offered to give me a similar room on a different date at the same price, which was less than adequate, due to the circumstances. Nonetheless, I accepted. She assured me that I would be able to take advantage of the offer within a certain amount of time. I requested that she email me this information. However, to this day I have not received any emails from Chateau Avalon, except for the original reservation confirmation.

If I had not bothered to verify the reservation, I may have come to Chateau Avalon that night, only to find out that I wouldn't be staying there. That would have been utterly unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chad_mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Kansas
Reviewed January 30, 2009

We have stayed at the Chateau two times and were pleased with both stays. Each time we were there in January -- during the week -- so the hotel was not busy. Hence, we did not experience any noise. Last January, we stayed in the Renaissance Room and found it quite nice. This time we chose the Presidential Suite, which was also good, but came with a lot of wasted space. There was also a huge bookcase, with a hidden door to the bedroom which was unique. In fact, the journal writings in our room found this to be great.

Pros: Wonderful king-sized bed; chromotherapy jacuzzi tub; great location by The Legends; large TV; friendly and efficient staff at check-in and check-out; excellent shrimp appetizer and wine; and the in-room breakfast was very good and delivered right on time.

I will mention a few little concerns because the owner's letter asks for suggestions to improve each stay. While he does not consider this hotel to be a bed and breakfast, I don't know how else one would describe it. We have stayed in numerous B&B's across the country and for the price one pays at the Chateau, a few extra amenities would be appreciated for a luxurious time.

Cons: More mirrors -- there was only one mirror in the entire suite; a hair blow dryer would be nice; the bathroom had a lot of wasted space -- a small shower would be great instead of the shower head in the whirlpool tub. We are both tall and the shower head was at least 2 feet above our heads!! Very impractical. A suitcase stand would also be nice as well as a nice couch in that huge "library" room.

All in all, we really did have an excellent stay and will probably return. It is the most unique hotel in the Kansas Cit;y area and close to good shopping and dining.

• Liked — The location and whirlpool tubs
  • Disliked — Lack of amenities
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed October 28, 2008

This hotel is located out at the Legends Shopping Plaza and Kansas Speedway, which is an up and coming area in Kansas City. The hotel is a couples retreat with themed rooms and a boutique feel. Some of the themed rooms include Mayan Rainforest, Tuscany, Camelot, Monte Cristo, Colorado cabin, and New York Penthouse, just to name a few. We have stayed at this property serval times and have tried out serval rooms, our favoirte being the Camelot. Each room has a Queen or King Sized bed, a two person hot tub, and a great flat screen entertainment system.
Each stay includes breakfast the next morning. The breakfast is mediocre and the menu is quite limited, but for the price of the room, it is nice to have it included. There is also room service available with deserts and wine. You can also add extras such as a spa basket, champange, or a rose petal turndown service. The website explains a lot of the extras that are available to you for an extra charge.
The location of the hotel is great because it is about a 3 minute drive to the shopping and dining area of the Legends but it still seems quiet and removed. The front desk area has cookies in the evenings as well as coffee around the clock. Also there is a wonderful fountain out front as well as some walking paths on the grounds.
This is a great place for a quick romantic overnight for couples young and old alike. The hotel is upscale and the rooms are wonderfully done. My only warning about this property is that the staff is usually not the most friendly. We have had several instances in which we asked for something that was not in the room or tried to get our deposit back, and it was made clear to us that we were a bit of an inconvience. It really depends who you get, the type of treatment you will recieve. For example, an evening manager wanted to return our $100 deposit for the room in $1.00 bills. Another time we did not have towels in our room and asked that they bring them up. We were told it would take and hour for them to get them to us unless we came down to the front desk, then we could have it right away. When we went down, there were several people at the desk, and I have a hard time believing they were all busy.
That being said however, my husband and I continue to return to this property and we constantly recommend it to our friends.

• Liked — The themed rooms and location
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
White Lake, Michigan
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Took my girlfriend here on the back end of a trip to Kansas City to see the Royals -- we rented one of the Mayan Riviera rooms and it was just a wonderful experience overall.

There are plentiful amounts of restaurants nearby to get takeout for dinner. The hot tub is so relaxing, the beds are comfy, the ambiance of the room is great, and the hot breakfast in the morning was delicious (loved my omlette!). Great robes in the room too!

Now, if you're planning to stay more than a couple nights it'd get pretty claustrophobic - the room is pretty small.

But if you are looking for a unique relaxing romantic getaway this is the place. I will probably take her here again.

Stayed August 2008
ITALY
Reviewed August 21, 2008

This hotel was simply a dream. The structure seems to be a castle with a big beautiful fountain. There is a large complimentary parking and since you enter the reception Staff is very helpful, friendly and very very professional.
All the rooms are very nice and themed, but we have chosen (directly from thei website) the Jessie James Room, which was very well decorated and had a big and gorgeous jacuzzi for two with chromotherapy. We found a complimentary iced bottle of cider which was much appreciated. The breakfast could be chosen among a large variety of possibilities (different hot drinks, different main entrees etc) and you will receive it directly in your room!
We hope to come back again and we can only recommend an hotel like this!

• Liked — Assistance, professional staff, cleaning, originality
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed June 23, 2008

We booked a 2 night stay in the Lincoln to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The room was nice and the tub was very relaxing. It was nice to have breakfast brought to our room. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend. We plan on making it a yearly tradition.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Columbia, Mo
Reviewed April 28, 2008

My wife decided to surprise me for our anniversary. We drove to Avalon and it was a wonderful surprise. From 12 to 4 in the afternoon they open rooms for the public to tour. The whole idea is each room has it's own "theme". From romantic to just plain fun. We enjoyed the fact that the place was close to an open air mall and some great places to eat. Included in the price was sparkling cider, very good, and breakfast the next morning. The breakfast was well done and you have four choices. This place gets a very rare ( for me) excellent rating.

• Liked — The layout of the rooms and privacy.
  • Disliked — no bell hop
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple