“Excellent - A reminder of the good in people”

Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Lawrence, Kansas
“Excellent - A reminder of the good in people”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

As I go through life, I am particularly pleased when I come across people who remind me that people are fundamentally decent. I run into plenty of people that make me doubt this, but when I run into folks that remind me of the good in people, I feel like shouting it from the rooftops.

My husband and I just returned from our second visit to Chateau Avalon. We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. First off, it is just so much fun to step out of your regular life and pretend for a couple days. Pretend you live in a Mayan temple or are ship-recked in a tree. Pretend you are staying in Tuscany, looking out over your balcony. Pretend you don't have kids and jobs and mortgage payments...

I think you can find something wrong with anywhere you go if you look hard enough. I see these other reviews that are a bit harsh, and if that is all they could focus on while there, then I think it was a shame. I won't gloss over their concerns though, but let me start with how grand it was first.

So, we have been there before. The first time we stayed in the Mayan Temple room which is kinda small but we never even noticed because it was so romantic. The complimentary breakfast delivered whenever you want made it even more special. We had a couples massage and floated back to our room in our cozy robes and cuddled for hours in a bed which honest to goodness I have no memory of whether it was comfortable or not, but I do remember how fun it was to lay there and pretend...

Last weekend, we came for our second trip and had booked the Castaway room. I had called before arriving on that day to make sure everything was fine with the reservation. I spoke to Laura, who I think is the director of guest services. She was just a joy on the phone. I said to her, "I don't suppose there is any way you want to bump us up to one of the fancy suites, do you? We can't afford it but we have always wanted to stay in one of the fancy ones." She said, "hmm, hang on a second..." and when she came back to the phone she said she had the Venitian Suite available and would bump us up for free! I thanked her up and down, got off the phone and then looked up the Venitian room. Unfortunately, it wasn't the room I had thought, I was thinking of the Tuscany suite, and to be honest, we kind of preferred the Castaway suite. So, I called Laura back, asked her to change us back, explained that it was the Tuscany that we really wanted, not the Venitian and that the Venitian just didn't appeal to us. Then I apologized for everything, thanked her again, and headed over for our weekend away.

When we arrived, Laura came out, shook my hand, and said "here is what I want to do..., we don't have the Tuscany available tonight, but we do have it free tomorrow and if it is still free in the morning, I would love to move you in there, at no extra charge, so that you can have the best stay possible." Sure enough, at 10am, she called me to tell me that we could move over to the Tuscany as soon as it was cleaned!

Like the first time, we got a couples massage, and although we didn't pay for deep tissue, the gentleman doing my massage knew I was having lower back problems and went above and beyond by working on my lower back more than in a typical "swedish massage".

The driver of the free shuttle, Candy, was just a delight to talk with.

The housekeeping staff, as we ran into them in the hall or what-not, were just sweet as can be.

The other front-desk ladies did everything they could for us including getting us movies, menus, wine-glasses, cork-screws, tracking down lost shoes, guiding us on our fireplace, etc...

Everyone we came across was just fantastic. I couldn't have been more pleased with our rooms or with the people there. We have stayed in a LOT of places all over the world and it is to the places with friendly faces that I will return.

Now, to address some of the concerns others have. In the two story rooms, they do have a little trouble keeping the temperature right in the winter. However, I found that after a hot bath, the cool downstairs seemed less cold and the robe was plenty for warmth and the warm upstairs was just a reason to strip down and sprawl out on the bed with my husband.

In the Tuscany suite, it was not as big of a problem as there was a fireplace downstairs which helped a lot. In fact, the Tuscany room was just perfect all around, I can't even think of something negative to say about it.

As far as the bed, it was so-so in the Castaway suite but was absolutely top-notch in the Tuscany suite. Both were comfortable but the linens in the Tuscany were much nicer, but those in the Castaway weren't bad enough to spoil my trip.

There was no dresser in the Castaway, but there was in the Tuscany. Being such a short trip, two days, I never bothered unpacking anyway, so that didn't affect me at all.

The shuttle was great on both of our stays. Sometimes we had to wait a few minutes, but not as long as if we had to get a taxi and it allowed us to have some wine without worrying about driving back from the restaurant (really a nice touch if you ask me).

I loved the breakfast! There was always more than my husband and I could eat and enough choices to please anyone.

I would definitely recommend this for anyone that really wants to get away. The people and the rooms really make you feel special and like there is no need to think about the "real world" while you stay.

We will likely return every year or so, whenever we are able to get away!

Thank you to Laura, Candy, and everyone else (I am bad with names so don't be offended if I didn't mention yours) for a great stay!

Joy

Room Tip: If you are going in the winter, I would avoid the two-story rooms unless their is a fireplace. We j...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Laura T, Guest Relations Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Joy F -

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a detailed and wonderful review! It was such an honor to meet you on your recent visit to Chateau Avalon! & I am so happy to be a part of making your stay beyond your expectations! You and your husband reminded us of the good in people too, as you guys were a pleasure to have in house! I would also like to thank you for your constructive feedback in your review! We appreciate you and look forward to welcoming you back to Chateau hopefully sometime in the near future!

Laura

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 30, 2014

My husband paid good money to stay at the hotel on a Friday night, mid December 2013. Room was dusty and very small. We went to the casino (after waiting 10 mins on the free shuttle, apparently they had a stand in guy and he had taken a customer in their personal car somewhere). When we came back we tried to take a hot shower...little to no hot water. Called to ask the front desk, and they sent someone to "feel the water". He said well we can switch you rooms but it will be the same everywhere, seemed to be too much of a hassle for them to worry about it. So we took a cold shower and went to bed. Got up the next day went for a massage and tried another hot shower, no surprise NO HOT WATER! Complained to front desk the next morning as we were checking out and got an oh sorry response. I called on the following Monday, spoke with a manager who said they heard about the situation, she also told me they had someone working on it all day Sunday and they were without hot water that day. I was told I would be compensated in some way and that someone would get back with me in the next couple days, well its a month later and no word from anyone there!! I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 4wildkidsmama
Laura T, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
4wildkidsmama -

We apologize for your experiencing a lack of hot water during your stay. At that time we had one of our three hot water heaters go down during a peak time. We could not replace it without shutting down all the water to the hotel. We have now replaced it with a state of the art unit with even better than the original.

I am not sure who you spoke with during your check out and follow up phone call the next day but I would love to speak with you personally if you could please call the hotel and ask for Laura or email me at laurat@chateauavalonhotel.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just returned from spending the weekend. The room was charming, but needed a fan to move the air, especially after using the shower and or the hot tub. The bed was one of the most uncomfortable hotels beds I have ever slept on and the pillows were only so-so. There was a complete lack of space for clothes. No dresser and unless you used the table or one of the two chairs your only option was the floor. The staff was friendly enough when we could find them, but rarely did there seem to be anyone at the front desk as we came and went.

We were excited for this trip, but came away disappointed. We expected luxury for the price, and even though we got an unexpected deal, I think the bed would have been more comfortable at the Hampton Inn down the road. I travel a lot, and this was the first time I needed pain killers for my back after waking up in a hotel bed.

We tried the "highly recommended" cinnamon roll and while nice and warm was nothing special. We left half on the plate.

It was a good weekend away and the location is great for shopping and chain dining. I would consider returning but it needs to about half the price to make it worth the while.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hattrupmd
PelicanMan60-

We appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the things you encountered on your recent stay with us. Thanks to guests like you, we have an opportunity to give attention to situations that may require improvement. I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had to deal with, and I guarantee you that I will share your comments with our management team. I hope we will have the opportunity to regain your confidence in the near future. If I can be of any personal service please contact me directly at 913.596.6000 or laurat@chateauavalonhotel.com

kansas city
Reviewed January 18, 2014

In short, this place is a dump and way overpriced. My wife and I decided to stay here because we were going to Hollywood Casino and the CA offered a free shuttle to the casino and back to the hotel. This was the best part of our stay by the way. Due to a special because we were visiting Hollywood Casino, we got the room for $139 which is $100 off the normal nightly rate. The room was what they call "classic" and it was titled "Casablanca", room 122. The room had a really bad smell and both my wife and I were hard pressed to name a hotel we have stayed in during the last 16 years worse than this one. We've stayed in some really cheap hotels thru the years, much cheaper than this one which were as nice or nicer than Chateau Avalon. The room is small, the bathroom has no shower and is very small too, and the tub in the room is really just gross. The bed was comfortable enough but the bedding had some tears and the comforter had some stains on the underside which looked like a body fluid.
The food was terrible, the coffee was served with plastic cups and we also had plastic cups in our room. Bo, the bartender in D'Nile, was one of the highlights. He's very nice and should probably be put at the front desk if not in management.
We won't go back and you couldn't pay me to stay here again. If you are thinking about staying at CA unless you can get the room for under $60/night, don't go. You can find better places around the area which offer more value for what you pay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hghumphrey
hghumphrey-

I sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. Please feel free to contact me directly so that I may personally address your concerns at 913.596.6000 or email me at laurat@chateauavalonhotel.com. I look forward to speaking with you.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My husband and I are frequent guests. We got married in the Tuscany room 5 years ago, and also had a renewal ceremony in the Tahitian room....so if you are planning a small wedding this is a perfect place. My husband and I travel from St. Louis just to stay at this hotel 3-4 times per year. So I have also received the benefits of their Passport program, such as of free nights, the spa bag of goodies, chocolate covered strawberries etc. We are slowly working our way through all the rooms. The staff have actually become friends. I love the breakfasts, and the themed rooms. The D'Nile bar is awesome. The massages and facials are great. Took some talking to get my husband to do the first one, but now he is the one to suggest and we always ask for Deanna as one of the masseurs. I love reading the notes left by previous guests. The jacuzzi bath is so wonderful and romantic. This is the perfect hotel to go and relieve stress and renew your relationship with your significant other.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kim S-

Thank you so much for sharing your story of Chateau Avalon Hotel with us! We are so happy that you enjoy your time here as much as we enjoy seeing you come back! I will be sure to pass along the compliments to the rest of our staff and share these memories with future guests! We appreciate you and look forward to welcoming you back as we have time and time again!

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed for New Year's Eve and spent some time in D'Nile with Bo. He is fabulous! He definitely made our evening. This was our 4th stay and we have already booked our 5th. We stayed in Casablanca but prefer the larger, more elaborate rooms. We love the staff, especially Bo and Judy. We definitely will continue to visit Chateau Avalon.

• Stayed December 2013
Laura T, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
fischee-

We are so happy you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and thank you for writing us a review! We appreciate all the wonderful compliments! And we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay!

Best Regards,
Missouri
Reviewed December 22, 2013

The first thing I notice was the 20+ stairs you had to climb to get into the hotel..I'm not infirm in my early 60's, but carrying a suitcase up steep stairs was a chore. Hubby and I had a free room offer from the Hollywood Casino so we can't complain about the price. We stayed in the Lincoln room...In my opinion it was terrible. When we travel we usually stay at Hampton Inn's so I'm comparing this room to those. There was no place to put luggage except the floor or the desk, The single sink left little to no place to put make up or toiletries. I had to keep my things on the table in the very small room. There were two bath towels, with no extras if you washed your hair. When you turned on the bathroom light the fan also went on..No way to turn it off and it was very loud so the entire time you were doing your hair etc. this jet was going off. The bed was comfy but it had NO blanket. Just a sheet and one of those polyester blankets. I hate polyester so I used the thin old robe for a blanket. I brought my own pillow at the advice of other reviews. The room was hot despite the outside freezing temp. so we endeavored to turn the temp. down. After several tries I called the front desk and the girl said, "open the cover and follow the directions." My husband, who is an engineer, had to really work to follow the direction which said. "Hold down the up and down buttons together for 3 seconds and set the differential as needed. We ended up just turning it off. But the worst thing was the hot tub..Perhaps if you are into romping in a hot tub and having mad sex in a small dirty rooms it would be wonderful..We just wanted a nice hot shower and the shower is in the bedroom over the hot tub. there are four tie back curtains that leave gaps and do little to keep the water in the tub. My husband had to stand on the side of the tub to adjust the shower head so it didn't spray right out onto the floor..After some rather comical maneuvers we did both manage to get into the shower. The maneuvers were needed because the side of the tub came up above my knees and then you had to step down even lower to get into the thing. The jets on the hot tub are all orange with rust and grime... When you finally step out it's right onto the carpet..The carpet was dark and didn't' look dirty but I had a travel flashlight and believe me under close observation it was filthy...We did get a free pot of coffee and roll in the morning but other than that I'd give the place a C-. Small, dirty and ,inconvenient, but it was free....Never again..

Room Tip: Stay away from the Lincoln room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank kjmema
Laura T, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear kjmema -

I am so sorry to hear how you feel about our hotel. With the complementary stays through Hollywood Casino there is a very limited selection of rooms. Some of our rooms even if it is the same room concept are more spacious than others. Many of the rooms have the shower head in the over sized 2 person jetted tubs but there are a handful of others that do have a separate walk in shower - these aren't available through the complimentary stays but we are more than happy to upgrade a Hollywood Casino guest to one of them. As descriptive as you were I would love to speak to you about this on a more personal level. Please call me any time at Chateau Avalon, my name is Laura and I am the Director Of Guest Services, the number is 913.596.6000 & my email is laurat@chateauavalonhotel.com

I look forward to speaking with you.