“Romance!”

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Lawrence KS
“Romance!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed in the Camelot after the Roman room we wanted wasn't available, AND were offered it for the same price, so sweet! Our room was so lovely with the tealights and rose petals set up. That tub is amay-zing! It would have been a five star but the lamps had no bulbs so we had to call to the desk and get someone down with bulbs for them. The bar is fun, and we were far enough down the hall that it was hard to believe there were other people there. Loved it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RiverRatette
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear RiverRatette-
I am so sorry about the light bulbs but thrilled you liked the Camelot! It is very cool and always draws positive vibes from guests as it is large and has so many cool extras. I even had a guest call down looking for the "drawbridge" switch...too funny.

I cannot wait for your return and hope to meet you in person!

Hospitably,
Todd Scholl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Missouri
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed for our 8th anniversary on January 17th. What a surprise to have waiting in our room rose petals and a rose on the bed, two free deserts and a chilled bottle of cider! We called the front desk because we thought we were in the wrong room, but it was a surprise for us since it was our second stay here! The hotel staff is great, we had no problems what so ever. Breakfast was right on time again this stay and its a very good breakfast! Check out isn't until noon and thats wonderful because it gives you time to just relax! When we checked out we had credit leftover so they happily put it on a gift certificate for us. So now we get to go back this summer! Can't wait to return!

1 Thank violetpig
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Violetpig-
It warms my heart knowing the Chateau team suprised you in a good way! We thank you for your generous comments and look forward to figuring out how to top ourselves on the next visit!

I look forward to your return visit and remember, you can stay here more than just your anniversary wink-wink!

Hospitably,
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for our 5th anniversary, last night. It was our 2nd stay, both times in The Buckingham room. We loved it as much or more than before. The library with the secret door into the bedroom made it feel like a suite. Both rooms were very cozy. The staff was great. When we talked to them about movies in the room they explained that they had up-dated the tvs and would be getting cable movie channels soon. I must have looked disappointed because she immediately offered us two tickets for the movie theater across the street.

We decided that we wanted to stay in for a while, but were hungry so we ordered a few plates of food from room service. Although a bit over-priced (but we were able to use our $10 credit), the food was very good and filling. We next decided on a bath, I brought my own bath crystals, and it was delightful, very relaxing and romantic. After the bath we decided that staying in the rest of the night was better than facing the cold. So we did not get the movie tickets. Although we would have watched a movie if they had them in the room, we spent the time much more romantically!

The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. The outside lights we turned off before 11 so were not a problem. Breakfast was great, came within the 15 minute bracket of time. There was plenty of soap, shampoo, conditioner and body cream.

It was very romantic, private, comfortable, and quiet (even with people in the next room). There were chocolates in the room, very good cookies in the lobby and we were even able to look at some of the others room themes after we checked out.

The only reason we did not rate it a 5 (wanted to do 4.5 stars) was because of the in room movies not being available, difficulty getting our ipads on line and no sparking cider. But frankly we spent much more quality us time without getting on the internet or watching tv. For us that was the purpose of the trip.

We will not let 4 more years pass until return. We love this place and will go back.

1 Thank LindaWach
Dear LindaWach-
Thank you for such a thorough review and thank you for coming back again and again! I appreciate the feedback on our team and glad you will not let so much time pass before your next visit to the Chateau. Next time I will make sure you have a bottle of Sparkling Cider to go in addition since that fell through the cracks.

I look forward to your return and wish you a great 2013!

Cameron, Missouri
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked April 4th 2012 for the upcoming New Years eve stay, We choose a room Mid Priced $219. Roman Dynasty, the room was so small two people couldnt pass by each other, the room had nowhere to sit, you had to climb over the bed to get in the other side, the shower was in the middle of the main room which got water everywhere, we stayed for the shuttle service which was supplied till 12:45 which they stopped at 10:00 PM, the breakfast was supposed to be del. at 9:00 but was not del until 10:30 as cold as ever, we asked why our room was so small and they said they were booked up< BIG LIE they had all to pick from in early April, Double think this Hotel before you book, things are not as they seem, when checking out you should have heard all the other complaints from other customers, sorry it was our choice, NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Room Tip: check out the reviews before you check in.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dave w
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Dave W-
I am very sorry we did not meet your needs. We do have several Roman Dynasty Rooms but one is smaller and we train our team to relay that at the time of reservation. I also feel bad about the shuttle, however the roads were getting slicker as the temps dropped and our driver did not feel it was safe to continue shuttling guests after she returned the last group that was away from the hotel. Finally, I know we had a delay with breakfast as most guests all wanted their breakfasts in the same 30 min window (that is over 120 breakfasts delivered) thus we fell behind and then some. I would like to invite you back for a stay in a larger suite and would like to personally ensure a flawless stay but understand too your feelings. Our team wishes you the best moving forward and if you can give us another shot I welcome your call.

Sincerely
Todd S
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked a weekend reservation, but was unable to stay due to my work schedule. Every staff member I spoke with over the phone were extremely courteous, professional, and accommodating. The people who work at Chateau Avalon really take customer service to the next level!

1 Thank Taryn K
Dear Taryn K-
Thanks for the kudos! Our team strives to do what is right for those we serve (even if we don't get the chance to serve at all) We appreciate you nice message and wish you a Happy New Year!
Lawrence
Reviewed January 1, 2013

After seeing good reviews on facebook about how romantic this place was I finally talked my husband into booking the hotel for 2 nights for our Anniversary/New Year's getaway. Day 1 check in is not until 4p.m. I walked into the building and not 20 feet away is the stairs to the third floor. and to the sides of the staircase is their guest service desks. It seemed crammed packed just as you walk in. The ease of check in was speedy. Our Mayan Rainforest room was 20 feet from the front desk, we opened to a very tiny room, a very tiny table for two to eat? (it barely fit the overpriced complimentary breakfast). Back to the room- the decor was out of date, the brick decor on the wall is actually some kind of cheap material, the jacuzzi was okay if you only had 1 person in it to relax. The tv was only faced in the bedroom you don't have access to swivel it to watch from the tiny table next to the jacuzzi. No DVD player. The bed was awful, don't know how long the bed has been there but it was noisy so every move or turn the bed creeked, the very thin comforter was made in 1980's, the plastic plants were dusty. No dresser or side tables to put your clothes. We heard every noise from music, to walking to bodily functions from the rooms, next, above, and below us (walls are very thin). The D'Nile bar was closed and then finally open at 7pm on New Years Eve, drinks are slim and overpriced. The waitress is behind a bar at all times so the empty tables were full of empty drinks, and glasses and also at the counter, so don't expect service its you get your own drinks and take the glasses to her. Thank god for the legends, The hotel did not have a restaurant so we pretty much spent most of our time at restaurants and away from the hotel came back only to sleep, and with all the noise it was frustrating. Day 2 we had set out of card the night before to have our breakfast delivered by 9:15, 9:45 rolled around and had to contact front desk, she apologized to only say they were running behind. We finally got our complimentary breakfast which was cold, and dried out again an hour later. So when your at a hotel you can't sit in the jacuzzi or take a shower not knowing when room service will knock on your door. I was upset at this point and fed up with the hotel that when I answered and I told the girl I was not impressed with the hotel, and what came out of her mouth was well we are not impressed with you. I told that to my husband and we packed our things and checked out, we were given at $20 discount for the late arrival of food. So yes people it is not complimentary and McDonald's has a better menu and fresher food for breakfast. Needless to say I was going to sign up for VIP club, but after paying $400+ Only for 2 nights I will not refer anyone here.**Refer 2 & You’re FREE
Refer only 2 guests that stay with us by December 31, 2012 and you stay for FREE! Refer 4 and stay some more! Or, you can stay 2 nights and get your 3rd night FREE! WE STAYED 2 NIGHTS AND REFERRED 1 FRIEND AND DIDN'T GET ANYTHING, BUT WOULDN'T TAKE IT SINCE THE ROOMS ARE HORRIBLE!!

And we even had a friend stay in a room on the second floor for two nights. She was not impressed her massage came to her room late, she was disappointed as it was more of a rub down and not a massage. So don't pay the extra for that. I will remember to go to tripadvisor reviews first since they falsey advertise at this hotel. We could have stayed at Best Western for cheaper and had a bigger room, with all amenities, and would have been cheaper, plus earned points for my stay.
Would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Before booking I recommend going to the hotel to see the rooms in person you will not be impressed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Lori N
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Lori N-
First of all let me apologize for our hotel and staff not exceeding your expectations. I wish we could have helped more during your two day stay and acknowledge with a full house for New Years Eve breakfast was a challenge. I know our front desk ambassador spoke to your husband at check-out and that is why we credited your account for breakfast. Until this posting we did not know of any other concerns?
We want to win you both back and hope you can give us the chance. Our team wishes you both a Happy New Year.

Sincerely-
Todd S
, Oregon, United States
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We were visiting Kansas City over Christmas, traveling from Oregon. We left our 2 small children with their grandparents and were very excited to get away for the night. We are not very picky people, but as for romance this was a little disappointing. Considering the price I was expecting a spacious suite full of charm. Instead it was very boring. The room was clean and you could see what the general idea was, but there were no "extras". The bathroom looked like something out of a Motel 6.

The 2 person jacuzzi was nice, but you can get that somewhere else much much cheaper. We never did get our chocolate covered strawberries that we paid for, when we went to the front desk there was no one there and there is no button on the room phone so we couldn't figure out how to call them.

You can put out a card for breakfast in the morning and the menu seemed pretty decent. However, our breakfast didn't show up on time. When we asked the front desk "thankfully staffed" they said they had a 15 minute grace period. Well our breakfast was 38 minutes late and COLD! We didn't eat it, just drank the coffee.

We won't stay again.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the luxury suite, it's not worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer B
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Jennifer B-
I am sorry our hotel did not exceed your expectations! I want to invite you back to experience one of our theme suites as I believe you were in a classic which are very nice but not as spacious and romantic, more of a standard room. Missing your needs on both sides of the food equation is unacceptable and is not something I want for our guests. Please contact me directly if you are inclined to give us another opportunity and I will personally handle your reservation, arrival and extras!

Have a Happy New Year!