“Exceptional Customer Service!”

Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I booked a weekend reservation, but was unable to stay due to my work schedule. Every staff member I spoke with over the phone were extremely courteous, professional, and accommodating. The people who work at Chateau Avalon really take customer service to the next level!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taryn K
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Taryn K-
Thanks for the kudos! Our team strives to do what is right for those we serve (even if we don't get the chance to serve at all) We appreciate you nice message and wish you a Happy New Year!

Reviewed January 1, 2013

After seeing good reviews on facebook about how romantic this place was I finally talked my husband into booking the hotel for 2 nights for our Anniversary/New Year's getaway. Day 1 check in is not until 4p.m. I walked into the building and not 20 feet away is the stairs to the third floor. and to the sides of the staircase is their guest service desks. It seemed crammed packed just as you walk in. The ease of check in was speedy. Our Mayan Rainforest room was 20 feet from the front desk, we opened to a very tiny room, a very tiny table for two to eat? (it barely fit the overpriced complimentary breakfast). Back to the room- the decor was out of date, the brick decor on the wall is actually some kind of cheap material, the jacuzzi was okay if you only had 1 person in it to relax. The tv was only faced in the bedroom you don't have access to swivel it to watch from the tiny table next to the jacuzzi. No DVD player. The bed was awful, don't know how long the bed has been there but it was noisy so every move or turn the bed creeked, the very thin comforter was made in 1980's, the plastic plants were dusty. No dresser or side tables to put your clothes. We heard every noise from music, to walking to bodily functions from the rooms, next, above, and below us (walls are very thin). The D'Nile bar was closed and then finally open at 7pm on New Years Eve, drinks are slim and overpriced. The waitress is behind a bar at all times so the empty tables were full of empty drinks, and glasses and also at the counter, so don't expect service its you get your own drinks and take the glasses to her. Thank god for the legends, The hotel did not have a restaurant so we pretty much spent most of our time at restaurants and away from the hotel came back only to sleep, and with all the noise it was frustrating. Day 2 we had set out of card the night before to have our breakfast delivered by 9:15, 9:45 rolled around and had to contact front desk, she apologized to only say they were running behind. We finally got our complimentary breakfast which was cold, and dried out again an hour later. So when your at a hotel you can't sit in the jacuzzi or take a shower not knowing when room service will knock on your door. I was upset at this point and fed up with the hotel that when I answered and I told the girl I was not impressed with the hotel, and what came out of her mouth was well we are not impressed with you. I told that to my husband and we packed our things and checked out, we were given at $20 discount for the late arrival of food. So yes people it is not complimentary and McDonald's has a better menu and fresher food for breakfast. Needless to say I was going to sign up for VIP club, but after paying $400+ Only for 2 nights I will not refer anyone here.**Refer 2 & You’re FREE
Refer only 2 guests that stay with us by December 31, 2012 and you stay for FREE! Refer 4 and stay some more! Or, you can stay 2 nights and get your 3rd night FREE! WE STAYED 2 NIGHTS AND REFERRED 1 FRIEND AND DIDN'T GET ANYTHING, BUT WOULDN'T TAKE IT SINCE THE ROOMS ARE HORRIBLE!!

And we even had a friend stay in a room on the second floor for two nights. She was not impressed her massage came to her room late, she was disappointed as it was more of a rub down and not a massage. So don't pay the extra for that. I will remember to go to tripadvisor reviews first since they falsey advertise at this hotel. We could have stayed at Best Western for cheaper and had a bigger room, with all amenities, and would have been cheaper, plus earned points for my stay.
Would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Before booking I recommend going to the hotel to see the rooms in person you will not be impressed.
3  Thank Lori N
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Lori N-
First of all let me apologize for our hotel and staff not exceeding your expectations. I wish we could have helped more during your two day stay and acknowledge with a full house for New Years Eve breakfast was a challenge. I know our front desk ambassador spoke to your husband at check-out and that is why we credited your account for breakfast. Until this posting we did not know of any other concerns?
We want to win you both back and hope you can give us the chance. Our team wishes you both a Happy New Year.

Sincerely-
Todd S

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We were visiting Kansas City over Christmas, traveling from Oregon. We left our 2 small children with their grandparents and were very excited to get away for the night. We are not very picky people, but as for romance this was a little disappointing. Considering the price I was expecting a spacious suite full of charm. Instead it was very boring. The room was clean and you could see what the general idea was, but there were no "extras". The bathroom looked like something out of a Motel 6.

The 2 person jacuzzi was nice, but you can get that somewhere else much much cheaper. We never did get our chocolate covered strawberries that we paid for, when we went to the front desk there was no one there and there is no button on the room phone so we couldn't figure out how to call them.

You can put out a card for breakfast in the morning and the menu seemed pretty decent. However, our breakfast didn't show up on time. When we asked the front desk "thankfully staffed" they said they had a 15 minute grace period. Well our breakfast was 38 minutes late and COLD! We didn't eat it, just drank the coffee.

We won't stay again.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the luxury suite, it's not worth it.
1  Thank Jennifer B
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear Jennifer B-
I am sorry our hotel did not exceed your expectations! I want to invite you back to experience one of our theme suites as I believe you were in a classic which are very nice but not as spacious and romantic, more of a standard room. Missing your needs on both sides of the food equation is unacceptable and is not something I want for our guests. Please contact me directly if you are inclined to give us another opportunity and I will personally handle your reservation, arrival and extras!

Have a Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

We traveled to Kansas City the first weekend in December. We stayed at the Chateau Avalon, the hotel was close to everything we wanted to see. We stayed in the Hemmingway room with the fireplace and a sunken tub. The hotel had nice cookies when we arrived. The staff was very helpful. My husband ordered a rose and rose petals on the bed. We were within four minutes of the Legends Mall, Nebraska furniture , Hollywood casino, and many restaurants. It was a great weekend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Brontz-

Thank you for the kind words about our hotel and staff! We are thrilled you enjoyed yourself and are excited for you to come back soon. All the best to you and I hope to see you on your next visit.

Hospitably,
Todd Scholl

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I have visited Chateu Avalon 5 times now, staying in the Venetian, the Roman Dynasty, and most recently, the Monte Carlo. The last few stays I have been very disappointed in both the service and the condition of the room.

Our last stay in the Monte Carlo was especially disappointing. We called ahead to make sure that the romance package we paid for would be in the room when we arrived. We were told it would be in the room upon our arrival. It wasn't. In fact when we called back down to the front desk to ask where it was, they said they had no record of us ordering it. We left to go to dinner and stopped by the front desk to see if the package could be delivered while we were out. The clerk apologized for the misunderstanding and said everything would be ready upon our return. This time they got it half right, with only part of the package in the room. Later in the evening we decided to watch a movie on the DVD player which was advertised to be in each room. Small problem, no DVD player present. I went down to the front desk to inquire and was told that all the TV's and DVD's were being updated and no DVD's were available. A lady from housekeeping was passing by and stated that there was a pile of DVD players down in the laundry room. A maintenance man was sent to retrieve one, and returned shortly to hook it up. Next problem, no cables to attach the DVD. After about 30 minutes of fussing and fighting, he claimed success and said it was ready for use. Upon starting the movie, we realized that we only had the music/sound effects, and no dialog due to how the speakers were installed. I climbed up to inspect the speakers in the ceiling above the bed to find that they had been diconnected too. After another 20 minutes I finally had the system watchable. Flash forward to about 2am, when my wife and I were both awakened by a metallic grating sound coming from the roof above our room, loud enough that we got only sporadic sleep the rest of the night. I can only guess the sound was coming from a roof vent that had not been properly lubed. The next morning, after breakfast was delivered, I discovered the next item to add to my little diatribe here; one of the chairs at the table was broken and nearly deposited me on the floor when I sat down.

We discussed all these issues with the Manager upon our departure the next morning, and while apologetic, didn't seem to be of a mind to discount our stay or offer us any other compensation.

The maintenance issues appear to be a continuing theme. I'll watch future reviews to see if anything has changed before we spend our money here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Steven B
Todd S, Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Steven B-

First of all let me apologize for the delayed response, I am the new General Manager and getting up to speed on my new home and team. I sincerely apologize for all your challenges in one of our great rooms. It hurts us to learn our valued and repeat guest feels we are going the wrong way so I can assure you I will work hard to improve the preventative maintenance picture here and want to personally inspect your room for your next visit. I invite you to call on me and want you to know I have moved my GM desk into the lobby so I can hear our guests feedback in person before they leave so I can provide solutions that will bring them back and also help my team gain confidence that we will provide superior hospitality as we improve the physical plant. Your experience is not what any of us want for our guests...again my apologies on behalf of our entire team. I hope to meet you on your next visit!

Todd S-General Manager

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night after taking in a race at the Kansas Speedway. The location was perfect as far as proximity to the speedway, and they had free shuttle service to the speedway and casino which was an added plus. The hotel itself did leave a little to be desired though. I felt it was overpriced for one. We had booked the Serengeti room, which was a fun room. However shortly after we checked in a light bulb burst and glass shards flew everywhere, on the floor, the tub, and stairs. The staff was very gracious and moved us rooms, so we ended up getting a free upgrade to the Tuscany room. This room was beautiful but the layout was odd, and the lighting was bad. It was awkward to have the bed and bathroom on 2 different levels, and the bathroom light was so bright (no door to shut) so when my husband and I had to use the bathroom during the night we woke each other up. The fireplace and jacuzzi were beautiful, but the TV was upstairs by the bed, so you couldn't even enjoy the fireplace while watching TV. I am glad we went once, to experience it, but I am not sure I would pay to go again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 123sab
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear 123sab-

Thank you for your review and I apologize for the delayed response. I am the new General Manager and am sorry for the maintenance challenges you experienced. We are working hard to improve the physical plant and sadly some things do break and affect our guests stays. I would love to invite you back so I can personally inspect your room before arrival as well as give you VIP welcome amenity. Our team is committed to our guests and welcome your call should you wish to take me up on my offer.

Hospitably,
Todd S-General Manager

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Planned an overnight getaway for my wife and I and had heard a lot of good things about Chateau Avalon so we decided to give it a try. After reading many reviews about the place, decided on the 3rd floor Serengeti room. While the room itself was cool with the alligator and rhino figures, the mural on the wall and the bed in the trees, it is not a place that we would consider returning to again.

It is apparent that the ENTIRE room was based on the theme, as the shower in the middle of the room was very poor, similar to showering in a drizzle. No shampoo or conditioner was provided in room, just a small bottle of lotion and bar of soap. Of course, we don't stay at a hotel for their complimentary shampoo, just a shock that none was present. The vent fan in the bathroom doesn't appear that it had been cleaned in years and was very loud right up thru the bottom of the floor of the bed area and the sink in the room drained very very slow. No real place at all to put any "stuff" that you might bring with you...a small little table and 2 wicker looking chairs are on the main floor and then the bed with a small 2 drawer nightstand up the stairs is all that is in the room (besides the bed itself of course).

We travel quite frequently so are used to a more modern hotel room, so this was definitely not for us. I was planning on giving it only 2 stars (nothing really displeasing or worthy of a "please fix this now" type complaint to the employees themselves) due to what you "get" for the price, but decided on an extra star due to the great customer service we got from the desk clerk that was on duty when we checked in late Thursday afternoon 11/15. I am not sure of her name, but she was extremely friendly and helpful and very efficient.

Overall, if you don't mind a less modern type hotel room and want to stay in a themed type room, give it a try.

Room Tip: If you have any knee or ankle issues at all, stay away from the Serengeti room...and if natural ligh...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abigail S, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're glad your experience with our Guest Service team was wonderful! I do want to apologize that everything didn't go as planned. Please feel free to contact us if you have any more details to add.

Abigail Schurder