“Kansas City weekend”

Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed December 14, 2012

We traveled to Kansas City the first weekend in December. We stayed at the Chateau Avalon, the hotel was close to everything we wanted to see. We stayed in the Hemmingway room with the fireplace and a sunken tub. The hotel had nice cookies when we arrived. The staff was very helpful. My husband ordered a rose and rose petals on the bed. We were within four minutes of the Legends Mall, Nebraska furniture , Hollywood casino, and many restaurants. It was a great weekend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Dear Brontz-

Thank you for the kind words about our hotel and staff! We are thrilled you enjoyed yourself and are excited for you to come back soon. All the best to you and I hope to see you on your next visit.

Hospitably,
Todd Scholl

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My wife and I have visited Chateu Avalon 5 times now, staying in the Venetian, the Roman Dynasty, and most recently, the Monte Carlo. The last few stays I have been very disappointed in both the service and the condition of the room.

Our last stay in the Monte Carlo was especially disappointing. We called ahead to make sure that the romance package we paid for would be in the room when we arrived. We were told it would be in the room upon our arrival. It wasn't. In fact when we called back down to the front desk to ask where it was, they said they had no record of us ordering it. We left to go to dinner and stopped by the front desk to see if the package could be delivered while we were out. The clerk apologized for the misunderstanding and said everything would be ready upon our return. This time they got it half right, with only part of the package in the room. Later in the evening we decided to watch a movie on the DVD player which was advertised to be in each room. Small problem, no DVD player present. I went down to the front desk to inquire and was told that all the TV's and DVD's were being updated and no DVD's were available. A lady from housekeeping was passing by and stated that there was a pile of DVD players down in the laundry room. A maintenance man was sent to retrieve one, and returned shortly to hook it up. Next problem, no cables to attach the DVD. After about 30 minutes of fussing and fighting, he claimed success and said it was ready for use. Upon starting the movie, we realized that we only had the music/sound effects, and no dialog due to how the speakers were installed. I climbed up to inspect the speakers in the ceiling above the bed to find that they had been diconnected too. After another 20 minutes I finally had the system watchable. Flash forward to about 2am, when my wife and I were both awakened by a metallic grating sound coming from the roof above our room, loud enough that we got only sporadic sleep the rest of the night. I can only guess the sound was coming from a roof vent that had not been properly lubed. The next morning, after breakfast was delivered, I discovered the next item to add to my little diatribe here; one of the chairs at the table was broken and nearly deposited me on the floor when I sat down.

We discussed all these issues with the Manager upon our departure the next morning, and while apologetic, didn't seem to be of a mind to discount our stay or offer us any other compensation.

The maintenance issues appear to be a continuing theme. I'll watch future reviews to see if anything has changed before we spend our money here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Steven B
Todd S, Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Steven B-

First of all let me apologize for the delayed response, I am the new General Manager and getting up to speed on my new home and team. I sincerely apologize for all your challenges in one of our great rooms. It hurts us to learn our valued and repeat guest feels we are going the wrong way so I can assure you I will work hard to improve the preventative maintenance picture here and want to personally inspect your room for your next visit. I invite you to call on me and want you to know I have moved my GM desk into the lobby so I can hear our guests feedback in person before they leave so I can provide solutions that will bring them back and also help my team gain confidence that we will provide superior hospitality as we improve the physical plant. Your experience is not what any of us want for our guests...again my apologies on behalf of our entire team. I hope to meet you on your next visit!

Todd S-General Manager

Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed here for one night after taking in a race at the Kansas Speedway. The location was perfect as far as proximity to the speedway, and they had free shuttle service to the speedway and casino which was an added plus. The hotel itself did leave a little to be desired though. I felt it was overpriced for one. We had booked the Serengeti room, which was a fun room. However shortly after we checked in a light bulb burst and glass shards flew everywhere, on the floor, the tub, and stairs. The staff was very gracious and moved us rooms, so we ended up getting a free upgrade to the Tuscany room. This room was beautiful but the layout was odd, and the lighting was bad. It was awkward to have the bed and bathroom on 2 different levels, and the bathroom light was so bright (no door to shut) so when my husband and I had to use the bathroom during the night we woke each other up. The fireplace and jacuzzi were beautiful, but the TV was upstairs by the bed, so you couldn't even enjoy the fireplace while watching TV. I am glad we went once, to experience it, but I am not sure I would pay to go again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 123sab
Todd S, General Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear 123sab-

Thank you for your review and I apologize for the delayed response. I am the new General Manager and am sorry for the maintenance challenges you experienced. We are working hard to improve the physical plant and sadly some things do break and affect our guests stays. I would love to invite you back so I can personally inspect your room before arrival as well as give you VIP welcome amenity. Our team is committed to our guests and welcome your call should you wish to take me up on my offer.

Hospitably,
Todd S-General Manager

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Planned an overnight getaway for my wife and I and had heard a lot of good things about Chateau Avalon so we decided to give it a try. After reading many reviews about the place, decided on the 3rd floor Serengeti room. While the room itself was cool with the alligator and rhino figures, the mural on the wall and the bed in the trees, it is not a place that we would consider returning to again.

It is apparent that the ENTIRE room was based on the theme, as the shower in the middle of the room was very poor, similar to showering in a drizzle. No shampoo or conditioner was provided in room, just a small bottle of lotion and bar of soap. Of course, we don't stay at a hotel for their complimentary shampoo, just a shock that none was present. The vent fan in the bathroom doesn't appear that it had been cleaned in years and was very loud right up thru the bottom of the floor of the bed area and the sink in the room drained very very slow. No real place at all to put any "stuff" that you might bring with you...a small little table and 2 wicker looking chairs are on the main floor and then the bed with a small 2 drawer nightstand up the stairs is all that is in the room (besides the bed itself of course).

We travel quite frequently so are used to a more modern hotel room, so this was definitely not for us. I was planning on giving it only 2 stars (nothing really displeasing or worthy of a "please fix this now" type complaint to the employees themselves) due to what you "get" for the price, but decided on an extra star due to the great customer service we got from the desk clerk that was on duty when we checked in late Thursday afternoon 11/15. I am not sure of her name, but she was extremely friendly and helpful and very efficient.

Overall, if you don't mind a less modern type hotel room and want to stay in a themed type room, give it a try.

Room Tip: If you have any knee or ankle issues at all, stay away from the Serengeti room...and if natural ligh...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Abigail S, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're glad your experience with our Guest Service team was wonderful! I do want to apologize that everything didn't go as planned. Please feel free to contact us if you have any more details to add.

Abigail Schurder
Front Office Manager
913.596.6000
abis@chateauavalonhotel.com

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Nice location by the race track, casino, and legends mall. The outside of the building is beautiful. It is in a nice secluded location yet very close to the casino and the mall. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in the Buckingham adventure room. It was smaller that the pictures online represent and it is in need of updating. There is a new flat panel TV in the room that is not in the online picture as of yet but, there is no DVD player. The "bathroom" area is very small. The only shower in the room is in the large tub in the sleeping area of the room and it is not easy to get in and out of. The "spa" is actually just a small room that is right next to guest rooms. My wife had a massage and said that the room noise from each side was distracting and made the experience less enjoyable than expected. Overall it was an ok stay that was overpriced. Glad we did it once but will be unlikely to return.

• Stayed: October 2012
Abigail S, Front Office Manager at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. We truly try to create a near perfect experience at Chateau Avalon, and are disappointed we did not meet them exactly. Please feel free to contact the hotel or myself to talk into further details about your stay.

Thanks again,

Abigail Schurder
abis@chateauavalonhotel.com
913.596.6000

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We found this hotel online so we decided to check it out. We got a mini tour of some of the rooms, classic, themed and luxury. We ended up staying in the presidential themed suite. The decor is so fantastic! The wine bar is great! Krissa is a master mixologist! She can make anything! We took the shuttle to legends and Judy, our driver was fun to talk to. We had the night we needed and it won't be our last visit. We are from San Diego and there isn't anything like this back home so it was out of our element but way worth it! Nothing was a disappointment! I recommend to anyone who wants a fun yet romantic experience!

• Stayed: October 2012
ChateauAvalonHotel, Director of Sales at Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Thank you so much for taking time to post this review. We so enjoyed having you all as our guests! The Presidential is one of my favorite rooms -- great choice! Hope all is well in San Diego. We look forward to having you as our guests again!

Jayme Humenczuk
Director of Sales
Chateau Avalon Hotel

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our second time staying at Chateau Avalon, and we will definitely be back again and again. The Chateau is beautiful, the staff are wonderful, and our entire stay (both times) has been truly amazing. We definitely recommend Chateau Avalon to any couple wanting to get-away and focus on each other while shutting out the rest of the world.

Room Tip: The room you choose depends on the mood you're setting...we've stayed in the Jesse James Sui...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing about your experience at the Chateau Avalon. We are so glad you've enjoyed your time with us. In our busy world, there is nothing more important than taking time out to reconnect with the one you love. We are looking forward to having you as our guests again!

Jayme Humenczuk