“No Comfort, Cleanliness, Quiet or Privacy”

Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas
“No Comfort, Cleanliness, Quiet or Privacy”
Reviewed February 19, 2008

We arranged to stay 2 nights in the Camelot suite for an anniversary trip and it all went downhill from the start. We had arranged for some "extras" in the suite, since we were celebrating, and not all of them were present -- bubble bath and beverages were missing, and we had to call the front desk twice and ask. In the suite itself, the giant walk-in shower had black mold growing in it, and wiring was hanging from the ceiling of the bathroom. There was a lot of noise coming from the hallways, parking lot and other rooms -- the walls and windows were quite thin, all things considered. There were tables set up right outside our window behind our bed where other patrons could visit, drink and smoke -- did not feel very private. Despite being right next door to the Legends and all the restaurants there, the staff was unable to provide any menus or recommendations, except for a delivery pizza places located 15 miles away.

Later on, we arranged for our special "evening dessert" to be delivered, and it was the thinnest slice of pastry imaginable, and came without the advertised ice cream. When asked about the ice cream, the staff just shrugged. After we finally went to bed, we found the mattress very uncomfortable -- so much so that we could not get to sleep on it. Also, the lights from the parking lot came right under the curtains and hit us in the face when we laid down to try to sleep -- no amt of curtain shuffling or stuffing towels underneath blocked it. Finally, we ended up checking out at 4am and going home, as it was so uncomfortable. The desk staff was nonplussed when we announced we were leaving in the middle of the night and said they did not have the "authority" to do anything for us. We had difficulty getting any money refunded and did not get a full refund, finally having to dispute it with our credit card company.

This place seemed like a beautiful idea, but ended up ruining our entire weekend with the noise, glaring lights, mold, poor service and other issues. I cannot recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — neat theme ideas
  • Disliked — filthy, noisy and rude
2 Thank cattriona

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Kansas City, KS
Reviewed November 24, 2007

We spent one night at the Chateau Avalon over Thanksgiving weekend. I called the hotel and booked the Serengeti Room for $219 which also included breakfast. Upon check in at 4pm we were quickly given our key and directions to our room. We opened the door and realized the room had not been touched since the previous guests had left. The room was a mess. We went back down to request another room or find out how long it would take to clean ours. The front desk clerk was helping other people and we had to wait again. When we told him about the situation he seemed flustered and disappeared but didn't tell us if we should leave or come back. We were left wondering what to do. Finally we heard some loud shouting by the maid staff coming from a back hallway saying she couldn’t possibly clean the room now she still had 20 rooms left to clean. About 15 minutes later he came back and gave us keys to a different room. The whole situation was very unsettling. The room itself was okay, there is a corner Jacuzzi tub which is nice and there is a little table with 2 chairs but there is no place else to really sit or put your clothes or suitcases. We ordered dessert in the evening at that was okay. I had a problem with the pillows on the bed and called down and asked for a different one but they said they didn't have anymore and couldn’t accommodate me. In the morning they delivered a hot breakfast which we had pre ordered the night before. The brought it in the tray and left before I realized that it was for a different room. I called the front desk and she came back to pick up the tray and exchange it with ours. On the way out the door she dropped the entire tray. She tried to pick up the big pieces of egg and ham but left everything else on the floor in the hallway leading to the bathroom. We just assumed that she would be back to clean it up or that housekeeping would come. They never did. We spent the morning stepping over omelet on the carpet while trying to get ready. The desk staff asked us how our stay was at check out. We gave a 30 second version of our problems. She just smiled sheepishly and said sorry, have a good weekend. I would say this hotel is about equal to a Hampton in terms of amenities and service. Definitely not worth the several hundred dollars a night. Save your money and get your romance somewhere else in Kansas City.

• Liked — It looks great from the outside
  • Disliked — Service and mess ups.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank mich408
kansas
Reviewed September 22, 2007

I planned an evening at Chateau Avalon which included a stay in their Casablanca Suite and ordered 50 minute couples massages for that evening.
I called the hotel 3 seperate times to confirm the times of the massages as well as the suite and the extra romance package. Upon our arrival the check-in clerk didn't know how to change the printer ink so our confirmation that I was to sign was hardly able to be read. Then I asked about our massages which they had booked on the wrong night. They had our massages on a night we weren't even staying at the hotel!!! So they said they would call us in our room to discuss the massages and if they would even be available. We went to our room only to find a very gross stain, which looked like blood, on the white chair. I went back out to the front desk to tell them about this as well as find out about our massages. They offered to change the times of our massages to very late at night. Then I went to the room to find a HUGE spider on the wall!!!!!! So my husband and I decided to save $350 and just go home.
I cannot believe this is supposed to be luxury. I can find spiders, stained chairs and irresponsible staff at any 2 star highway motel.
Thanks Chateau Avalon for ruining my 5 year anniversary. My husband drove me home and I was just in tears the entire drive. So much for a special night.

• Disliked — Spiders, Stained Chairs, and scheduling my massage on a night I wouldn't be there
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank romegnome
Leavenworth, Kansas
Reviewed August 31, 2007

I am so shocked when I see reviews who were disappointed. Took my husband for our 18th anniversary and loved it. We began our evening at the T-Bones baseball game, then sent the kids home with friends. Didn't get there until after 10 and they worked very hard to make us comfortable and welcome. It was so relaxing and romantic! We stayed in the Serengeti room and it was great. True the rooms aren't huge but it is more of an overnight getaway kind of place, not a stay for a week kind of place. There also aren't a ton of channels but who goes there to watch TV??(grin) The bed was comfortable, the linens elegant and the breakfast was delicious! Our tray even had a surprise of a beautiful, fresh baked cinnamon roll added to our meal. The young man who brought it was extremely polite as were the young ladies at check out. Our only suggestion was a ceiling fan in the loft bedroom, since cold air settles it was warmer up there and after climbing out of the jacuzzi tub you are already warm. Like I said, we were thrilled and will return again to check out other rooms.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank momasn
kansas city, ks
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We have stayed here twice, both times for a weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary. The room themes are fun and it is nice that you have an in-room jacuzzi. I also think the breakfast is really good (love the cheese blintzes). However, I do think that you pay a huge premium just because the rooms have themes. Although we had a nice romantic weekend here, I am not sure I would go back due to price.

• Liked — The unusual themes of the rooms
  • Disliked — Price/value
  • Stayed September 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ksgirl8
careolinagirl
Reviewed August 7, 2007

The Chateau Avalon was a lovely hotel. I wouldn't suggest that you stay 3 nights like we did. They seem to be more set up for the overnight guest, but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. We stayed in the Lincoln room. It was very comfortable. My only complaint was that the floors were not as clean as I would have liked. The full hot free breakfast each morning was wonderful. They deliver it right to your room. Overall, I would suggest this hotel to a couple looking for a special night away, but not for the out of town visitor.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank careolinagirl
missouri
Reviewed August 1, 2007

Went for getaway from our one year old, and was wonderful. We stayed in the castaway isle room, which is hard to explain how it looked but i will try. It was like a shipwreck and there are stairs inside your room that take you up in the canopy shipwreck with a amazing bed and stereo and tv. We upgraded to the romance package, it was nice, but i also agree wasn't worth the extra money! Had a massage too, i definately suggest doing that also!! Plan to go there again!! :)

• Liked — so many different themed rooms
  • Disliked — no pool area
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple