“Nice Stay!”

Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I recently visited the Chateau Avalon as part of a retreat and I must say I had a nice stay. Check in took place in a timely manner. We stayed in the New York Penthouse room, it was a loft style room. The room did not have a stand alone shower, I showered in the jet tub which was not a problem for me. Honestly, I didn't spend much time in the room. We used the conference room on the third floor. It was a nice room for our group, the chairs were comfortable. We were able to have our breakfast in the conference room. I enjoyed my breakfast. I also took a nice stroll around the property, it seems peaceful even though it is so close to Legends. My major complaint is the square pillows, I did not sleep well on that pillow. Also, I heard music playing all night.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed at the Chateau Avalon in January 2012 for my fiancee's birthday. Booking was easy, I had staked out the room I wanted online (New York Penthouse) and called to book the special I had. Check-in was lengthy, mostly due to the long line and only one attendant assisting. Other staff were courteous and helpful, always a nice thing these days. The room was nice, depicting itself just like the photos online. The room consisted of a bathroom with a sink/mirror vanity, closet and toilet area, a sitting area with pub table and two chairs, jacuzzi and bed/tv tucked in just above the room loft-style. In the bedroom area the television was a 32" JVC flat tube hanging ever-so-hugely over the bed by a metal TV mount. Yes, while you're relaxing in bed, a giant television threatens your existence. And for whatever reason, perhaps for your drink to rest, there was a nightstand water-warped by sweating cups and glasses of the past. There isn't a cover-up for this? Definetly cheapened the room a bit. For the more than 150.00 I paid for the night, and to do the great idea of theme suites justice some updated furniture and electronics are needed. Like, yesterday. We did get to order breakfast as part of the package which was awesome, except breakfast did not arrive until nearly 10am. Completely unacceptable considering it was ordered at 8am. So the Chateau Avalon is a great idea, but needs the complete thought for my return. RR62712

Room Tip: You can view the rooms prior to booking, just call and set it up.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Mona,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your stay here at the Chateau Avalon. I want to assure you that we are working to address the updating issues. We will have brand-new televisions in all of our rooms at the end of the summer. As for the furniture, we are working to address those issues. I have alerted the appropriate members of management. We certainly appreciate your review and hope to have you as our guest again in the future. Please feel free to contact me at any time!

Jayme Clark Humenczuk
Director of Sales
Chateau Avalon Hotel
Ph. 913.596.6000
Fax 913.596.0500

Reviewed June 24, 2012

First, we checked in to celebrate our 28th Wedding Anniversary. We stayed in the Venetian Room. This is our third time staying here and this by far was our worst stay. The technology is completed outdated and the decor is old. There hasn't been an update to this hotel in at least 5 years, perhaps more.

When we got our morning breakfast the food was cold and rubbery. The service was horrible, my wife had to chase down the attendant to bring the rest of our meal which they forgot. We decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and just let it go. However, when we returned for our second night after a wonderful day out. We came back to a room ready to relax and rest only to discover that the room was not cleaned. The housekeeper apparently threw some new towels over the tub and left. Didn't even wipe down anything. This hotel cost too much money per night not to be cleaned each day. Apparently this is called "refreshing" the room. Not acceptable!!! When you pay to have luxury you expect exceptional service.

This place advertises as a luxury hotel but is no where close to it! Chateau Avalon has gone Downhill... Used to be a good place, too bad it's not anymore.

The only good thing thing is that the evening desk attendant really tried to appease us and there was a very nice lady who came to the room and cleaned up with much apology. They did credit us the full price for the second night. For this I gave it a 2 rating!

This is our Final stay at Pit Avalon!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JR K
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I checked into the hotel, went to my 2 story room which had only one small window heavily draped right by the bathtub which sits in the middle of the first floor. The bathroom consists of a tiny stool room and tiny vanity right by the entry door - not as nice as a very cheap hotel. The room was filthy with broken furniture, an old heavy TV suspended from a wall hanging over the bed. You have to walk down very narrow and steep stairs from the bedroom to get to the bathroom. There was so little lighting that it was impossible to see anything very clearly. When I used a flashlight from my purse to look around, I was astounded by the filthy carpet, moldy bathroom and dubious bed linens. Just obnoxious. I am shocked to find positive reviews. This hotel looks like the kind that might rent by the hour. Plan to clean when you get there, bring your own linens or just book at the many places down the street that are much nicer for way less money.

Room Tip: Try Hampton, Best Wester, Holiday Inn, Comfort Suites, Great Wolf....
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank 1988RoadWarrior
Reviewed June 17, 2012

To celebrate our anniversary, my wife and I stayed here 2 nights in their "Casablanca" Classic Room.

Starting with the GOOD:
The only real quality thing was the couples massage, spa treatment we received! They were wonderful and very relaxing! Well worth the price! Would recommend visiting the spa! But, highly suggest staying at a different hotel and only getting the spa treatment here!

Now for The Rest :
The layout of the room was cramped, uncomfortable and awkward to move around in. It was more like a decorated broom closet! The bedroom area had a queen-sized bed in a corner of the room, up against two of the walls. So, whoever slept next to the wall, had to crawl over the other or off the foot of the bed, if they needed to get up for anything. Getting in or out of the bed, you stumble over the table and chairs. Then, there's the jacuzzi tub/shower right beside the table set, directly across from the bed. Not even the slightest bit separated from the sleeping area! Makes it hard to get up and shower without disturbing the others rest.
Any quiet relaxation or romantic moments are quickly destroyed every time another guest in another room turns on their Jacuzzi. They are pretty loud for being in another guests room! Especially for a place claiming to be such a quiet, relaxing, retreat! A lot of the time, you can hear the tv's and other guests talking in the neighboring rooms. Use your quiet, inside voice! Anything louder could disturb someone trying to enjoy what peace and quiet they can find!
They claim to be a luxury resort. Last time I checked resorts had amenities such as a pool with sunbathing/lounging area, outdoor features and activities, restaurants, etc... they have NONE of these! They have a wine bar and spa. Other than that, we could either sit in the room and watch tv or sit in the jacuzzi, or we could take the shuttle or drive to the Legends to find entertainment and/or dining.
The biggest disappointment was the price for the room! They charge more than what a 4 or 5 star resort does and you get a small and cramped room the size of a broom closet, with nothing to do on premisses except watch TV, sit in the Jacuzzi tub, or spend even more money at the spa. A person can only do that for so long without going either broke or stir crazy.

WE Will NOT be staying here again and will NOT recommend anyone else either!

Room Tip: Unless you are willing to shell out lots of cash for the Deluxe Suits there is no advice I can offer
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andy B
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience here at the Chateau. I'm very sorry to read of your disappointment. Our management team has reviewed your concerns and I'd be more than happy to discuss your stay with you over the phone or through e-mail. Feel free to contact me so I might be able to better address your concerns. Thank you again and have a wonderful weekend!

Jayme Clark Humenczuk
Director of Sales
Chateau Avalon Hotel
Ph. 913.596.6000
Fax 913.596.0500

Reviewed May 26, 2012

We've stayed several times, and had a few issues the second time was the best. Absolutely. This time we stayed in Castaway Isle. Stairs are bad in a dark room you're unfamiliar with. Also, I was trying to feel my way down and cut my heel, bleeding cut, on a nail that was sticking out. The night clerk acted concerned and gave me a bandaid, and he did leave a note on the account for the morning staff. I expected them to do something, but no. They said they would have maintenance look at it, but that was all. No apology no nothing. No extra discount. Nothing. Also, and this isn't their fault but the construction of the new Cerna building takes away from the ambiance.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This place is beautiful. Once you arrive on their property, it takes you away from reality. You are welcomed by a grand fountain and then welcomed by the Chateau (or castle as my family says).

We love the rooms and being isolated.

The service is excellent. You are always welcomed with a smile, even when you call.

Will return any chance we can.

Room Tip: All rooms are awesome. Probably want to try a few before having a favorite. Several Themes.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple