Chateau Avalon Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 12, 2012

My wife and I have spent three weekends here. The best room was the Monte Carlo; three story suite. Well taken care of, but not in your face service.

Room Tip: Each room is special. The best bet is to come during weekdays from 12-2 to do a tour.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BigDinKC

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed in the egyptian room and it was very nice. The room was small but very well decorated. The location is great being next to shopping, dining, and now the new casino out there. We would definitely go back. We also had the couples massage and it was wonderful.

Room Tip: egyptian rooms are at the bottom - a little too close to the laundry room for my taste
Reviewed April 2, 2012

We stayed in the Venetian Palace room for a one night getaway. Check in was quick and easy and the staff was very nice. Our room was on the main floor and we didn't walk around at all, so I don't know what the rest of the building looked like, but what I did see was nice. I saw the cookies in the lobby when we checked in, but I wasn't feeling like one at that time. By the time I wanted one there was on a half left, and it was yummy! Our room was small but big enough for us. Everything was clean. We got settled in, then took off for dinner and shopping at Legends. Stix was delish (I highly recommend)! We spent most of the evening at the new Hollywood Casino. Lots of fun there as well. We were mostly interested in watching the KU FInal Four game and they had lots of BIG screens that were perfect! After the game we came back to the room. We checked out the DVD list, but decided the Netflix we had brought was our best option. We filled the hot tub and enjoyed our movie from the tub. That was very relaxing! Now here is where the review goes downhill. The bed=comfy, but NOISY! That bed squeaked every time one of us moved, at all! The pillows were little bitty square things that were not comfortable. The room is super noisy. The floor creaks, so we could hear the people in the room above us walking around. There were people out on the patio chatting until about 2 am and we could hear all of that (and they weren't being loud). Needless to say, I was ready to get home to my bed. Even with kid interruptions I sleep better than at the Chateau Avalon. We both ordered the hot chocolate, OJ, and ham & cheese omelet for breakfast. Our food came perfectly on time, was hot, and delicious. It was nice to getaway for an evening, but I could have slept as good or better for less money somewhere else.

Reviewed March 29, 2012

We stayed in the "Camelot" room, after finding a ridiculously-reduced special that gave us the "best" room for less than the "regular" rooms. The jacuzzi-tub was WONERFUL (though admittedly a little hard to get into (not to mention impossible to adjust the water--the handle for which was well beyond reach of the tub, unless you're 8-ft tall, meaning we had to get out each time we wanted more and/or hotter water added)! The "in-room" massages were well worth the price. The decorations were quirky and fun (though again, not sure if worth the "regular" price), and made for a relaxing and enjoyable kid-free anniversary celebration. Since we stayed in the Camelot room, we didn't have the experience of other reviewers with the paper-thin walls (Camelot kind of sits away from the other rooms), but I can see how that might be a problem with the other rooms (or maybe, perhaps, WE were the ones making all the noise!). The bed DOES squeak, however, and the floodlights outside the window were a bit annoying. The REAL disappointment, however, came the next morning. We had "ordered" our room-service breakfast the night before (which in itself is a GREAT idea!), but when the alloted time came and went, we started getting nervous. One caffiene-withdrawal-fueled call to the front desk, we were informed "Yeah, we're running a bit behind. Sorry." (which didn't sound that sincere, to be honest.) Breakfast arrived 35 minutes after it was supposed to have been there, and based on the "temperature" of the food, it was probably prepared right on time, but sat for 35 minutes under a "heat" lamp, accidentally set to cold, or something. It was completely disgusting. Plus, we received DECAF (it was labelled on the decanter), after clearly marking our selection otherwise. Not to let our caffiene headaches and hunger ruin an otherwise amazingly-relaxing evening, we got out well before checkout and had a nice breakfast somewhere else. Had I paid the $500 or whatever for this room (and "experience") I would not be as pleased with my experience. "Meh" is right. Go in with low expectations (and a great coupon or something!) and you might not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Maybe offer to bring your own food, and get a "credit" against their crappy room service.
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I won't lie. There are some great things about Chateau Avalon. The property is beautiful, the fountains are beautiful, the location is great, the jacuzzi tub was wonderful, and the idea of a theme hotel is neat. But much like a beautiful woman with the IQ of a bag of meat, the beauty just doesn't hold up in the end. After check in (where they did not put out the cider and cookies...c'mon, how much effort does that REALLY take? A lot less than climbing those stairs out front, that's for sure), we went to our room to relax for a bit before heading out for dinner. While we relaxed the couple in the room next to us had sex like mad rabbits. How do we know this? Because the walls are paper thin. While some folks may enjoy listening to squeak-oh-Squeak-Oh-SQUEAK-OHHHHHH!!! I personally do not. For the amount of money you have to pay to stay here you shouldn't have to listen to your neighbor enjoying the room next to you. Our bed squeaked as well, but apparently we aren't quite as limber as the couple in the next room since ours never sounded like it about to fall apart. We slept soundly...once we got used to the floodlights shining in our windows like we were fugitives getting ready to be smoke bombed. "Breakfast" arrived promptly. My husband had the cold french toast slivers and I had the overbaked ham and cheese crossant. I wound up breaking off most of the bread because it was so overbaked. Even our cinnamon roll was sad...it had the texture of a hockey puck and I'm sorry to say that McDonald's probably makes a better one. As I write this I am sitting in a Holiday Inn that served fantastic breakfast, had a pool and a bar and a non-squeaking bed, we didn't hear a peep from the neighbors and the lights stayed out of our room. At half the cost of Chateau Avalon. Now, if you're the type of person who assumes that because something is expensive it is good, and then will defend that thing to the death even though in your heart you know it's moronic...then you will love this place. If you are the type of person who has been to a real B&B and know that it's the little things that make a big difference, go to a cheaper hotel and buy your own rose petals and apple cider because you'll be happier in the long run. It's like buying a Ford Mustang over the internet and showing up and being given the keys to a Ford Pinto. They're both named after horses but they sure as heck aren't the same thing.

1  Thank Kelly S
Reviewed March 26, 2012

We spent a great weekend in Kansas City, enjoyed the location, comfort and uniqueness of the Chataeu Avalon. Their attention to detail in the rooms and with their service was better than expected, will likely return on a regular basis whenever in the area.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

We stayed in the Jesse James Escape on Sat March 17. I was a little anxious since reading the review, but I was glad we kept the reservation and stayed. It was wonderful and we didn't have anything negative whatsoever. Check-in was fast and friendly. The chocolate chip cookies were delicious. They only offered coffee so a tea or other choice would be nice, but just around the corner there is a vending machine with Coke products for $.75 which today is very reasonable. The ice maker is located right next to it which is nice you don't have to go to other floors and areas. The room was comfortable and the tub was wonderfully relaxing. We took the shuttle to the Hollywood Casino (where no one was winning whatsoever) and then came back to the room. We ordered chocolate covered strawberries which were very good and delivered on time. Well worth the price. The breakfast the next morning was good and delivered on time. I know others had posted about how it was lacking but I didn't feel this way. Yes, its not a buffet or all you can eat since its just for each individual person, but my omelette was good and with the fruit it was more than enough. My boyfriend had the french toast. The checkout was fast and friendly as well. I do agree with others that the bed we had was not the best bu wasn't the worst ever either. We enjoyed our time there and didn't hear much noise as the place was full. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.