“Great hotel!”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
prettynpink66227
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed June 26, 2007

I have stayed here numerous times and each time I love it. I have stayed in both a normal guestroom and a room that has two levels. They were both nice and I would stay in either one depending on the size of my party. The waterpark is so much fun. If you go in there, you will want to swim beacue it is pretty darn warm in there. There are about 5 slides and they are all fun. They also have a little kids pool with slides just for them. The arcade is really cool beacause everything is neon and they have a lot of different games there. The food here is pretty so-so and if you want a good meal I would suggest leaving and going to eat somewhere around there. One of the best things about this hotel is the location. It is right in Village West which has shopping, bowling, restraunts, ice cream stores and a Nebraska Furniture Mart.
One last thing- if you around Christmas time, it "snows" in the lobby :-)

• Liked — the location and waterpark
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank prettynpink66227

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
omaha ne
Reviewed May 22, 2007

I have stayed at the GWL about 6 times and have enjoyed it. Great waterpark and my kids have a lot of fun. The help is very nice there ,also. I don't think I will come back though since Omaha is building a couple of indoor hotel waterparks which will serve my needs better. NOt as nice at GWL but a lot more convenient.
A couple of changes that I found disappointing.
1. They no longer allow you to upgrade for 25-50 dollars at checkin to a better room but instead are holding out for the entire difference. They used to make 25-50 dollars extra each time from me but I am not going to pony up a 100 or so difference for a Kid's Cabin.
2. They now charge 15 dollars for a lost wristband. I think that is too heavy handed. I can see a couple of bucks maybe but 15 just strikes me as not very customer service oriented and rather mean spirited.
3. The restaurant there is over priced and ordinary. Better to go to Famous Daves, Bob Evans, or Ted Turners Montana Grill that are all within 2 blocks of the htl. Much better value.
Overall this htl has a great waterpark but is only worth going when they have sales. In the summer Oceans of Fun is a much better value than this place is

• Liked — great waterpark
  • Disliked — changed policy on upgrades.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank maverick1974
cortlandt manor, ny
Reviewed April 7, 2007

This was the 7th GW my son and I stayed at and the last part of a GW road trip. We stayed 2 nights and had gotten a special off the website. We arrived at 7pm(after getting lost-had to call the hotel and they got us there) Front desk staff friendly but not the most knowledgable. Room was ready- we had booked the whirlpool/fireplace suite. It was clean with plenty of towels-fireplace worked well which was good since the room heater was very noisy so I used the fireplace as much as possible. Nice fridge/microwave-great for saving money on breakfast/snacks. My son also loves the Wiley soap they give you. Suite was on the waterpark floor which makes it much easier. The waterpark itself was nice-its one of the smaller parks. The best part was the water was the warmest of any of the GW's I had been to. No wave pool which was a bummer. Lifequards were attentive but they seemed short staffed. Biggest problem was the lack of towels. More than once I had to wait for towels-than they ended up handing out the room towels(which are nicer). Chairs and tubes easy to come by. Cub Club was fun-crafts are cute if you are into craft projects. You can color your own tshirt-which I find to be a fun way to remember the trip. The arcade was good size with a wide variety of games and prizes that are above average for that type of thing. The food is average amusement park food and the restaurants are slow. We tried room service for the 1st time and were surprised that it came as fast as it did. Overall we enjoyed our stay. I would never pay full rate for one of thier rooms and would recommend to people to check the website for specials and put your name on the email list. It also helps to book early as the "sale" rooms fill up quickly.

• Liked — warm water, friendly staff
  • Disliked — lack of pool towels
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank swim4gold
MO
Reviewed March 27, 2007

Buckle up! This is long. Sorry.
I took my 6 year old twins to this lodge for 2 days during their Spring Break. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon. Our room was ready. The front desk clerk was friendly & answered all my questions. No problem finding our room. We discovered later that we got a prime location as far as rooms go. Only a short walk to the stairs & elevators (as opposed to being WAAAAY on the end of one wing--where the vending/ice is). I was given a signature card, which is the card you use to charge food/items to your room. Everyone also gets a wristband. It's $15 if you lose it. If you want them cut off at night, you can have that done at the front desk & they'll give you new ones for the next day--w/o being charged.
We stayed in a Family Suite, mostly b/c that's all that was available at the time I booked. But it turned out to be just fine for us. It had a refrigerator & microwave so you could bring your own drinks & breakfast food to save money. The bathrooms are VERY small, the lighting is VERY poor, the heater works TOO well (we ended up turning it off--it just wouldn't stop no matter how low I put the temp). But none of that would deter me from returning.
We hit the waterpark as soon as we changed. We did everything & became familar with the park. The towels available are AWFUL. They are small & thin. Luckily, I had brought our own beach towels. I used our own towels to dry off with & cover with, & I used the GWL towels to sit on & dry feet with. That's about all they're good for. Also, they do have lockers available, but you have to put a coin in to get the key.
After about 2 hours, I was done. So I found a chair & relaxed & let them go crazy for another 2 hours. By then it was time for a late dinner.
We went back to our room, changed & ordered Pizza Hut room service. They didn't get our order right, but we were starving so no big deal. We purchased an expensive PPV movie, got ready for bed, & snuggled in to watch it.
My husband joined us late that night (he'd been on a business trip, & met us at GWL after he flew back to MO).

DAY 2: We slept in (or as "in" as any 6 year olds will let you!), got dressed for the water park, then went to the Bear Claw for breakfast. This is a little bakery/deli/snack shop near the front desk. They have cereal & fruit, milk & juice; everything else is pretty much pasteries, donuts, sugar, sugar, sugar. But, hey, we're on vacation. So my son had 2 Krispy Kremes, my husband had a chocolate muffin (huge!), my daughter had chocolate pudding & I had a rice krispie treat (HUGE!). I overheard other parents instructing their kids they couldn't have a brownie for breakfast--but they ended up with a chocolate muffin. Now, tell me what is the difference??? Anyway, we stayed there to eat. There are only 3 little tiny cafe tables w/2 chairs each, so it's really meant for food to be taken back to your room I guess.
Then we hit the waterpark. The kids had fun showing Dad everything. Again, after about 2 hours, the adults were done. This time we had claimed a table (they ARE hard to get--get there early!). My husband & I read while the kids played more.
When it was lunchtime, we got food from the Spirit Island Snack Shop right there inside the waterpark. They have an excellent variety of foods, most of it not very healthy, but they do offer a chef salad. They also serve alcoholic drinks; not a full on bar, but if you want a beer or a marguerita, they have it. My husband had the chef salad, I had a cheeseburger, my son had nachos & french fries, & my daughter had a corn dog & Dippin' Dots; we all had a drink; for approx $30. It was your typical amusement park food.
We played more with the kids until it was time for my daughter to go the Cub Club for craft time. They have a variety of crafts you can make throughout the day. I was given a schedule upon checking in. They have classes all day long. You just show up for the one you want to attend. It's free; there's the occasional extra charge for supplies, depending on what they're making.
So, I took my daughter to the Cub Club to make a crepe paper hula skirt. The lady in charge was very nice & kid friendly. Great craft room. Very organized. My daughter had fun! We went back an hour later for another class. This time making the flower lei to go with the hula skirt!
While we were crafting, the boys went to the arcade. It's a very nice little arcade. Similar to Chuck E Cheese as far as you get tickets & can turn them in for crappy prizes. You can't put token purchases on your room card, so take your wallet with you. After crafting, my daughter stayed in the arcade with the boys while I went back to the room to shower & get ready for dinner. We went to the T-Rex Restaurant in the nearby Legends shopping center.

DAY 3: My husband had to leave us very early this morning for business. The kids & I got up & planned on eating breakfast in the sit-down restaurant there in the lodge (can't remember the name). But, we changed our minds for some reason. I wish we would've tried it. You can look over the restaurant from the 3rd floor (which is where we stayed) & the buffet looked & smelled wonderful. But, we went back to the sugar cafe & had more dessert for breakfast. We visited the gift shop there, & took photos around the lobby, etc. Then we checked out, as we were headed to Crown Center & Science City.

You are allowed to check in at 1:00 & start using the waterpark, even though rooms aren't available until 4. Also, you must check out by 11:00 am, but you can still use the waterpark for the rest of the day. If you wanted to save a bit of money, but still take advantage of the waterpark, you could check into the Hampton Inn just up the street & still use the GWL waterpark all day.

There is also a cheesey clock & animal singing "show" in the lobby 4 times a day. I guess it's probably cute to toddlers, & my daughter liked it; my son thought it was awful.

And I do want to mention, as other reviewers have, that there is an abundance of lifeguards & they all seem to be very aware & paying attention. Also, one of the waterslides requires you to be 48", but my daughter is only 45". However, she rode it multiple times anyway. Also, my kids did the rock climbing in the waterpark. It does cost extra: $5 for one, $8 for two, $12 for three.

We will return--after summer & cold weather sits in.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank Perrier
Iowa
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We tried to book a room for Spring Break but the web site said No Occupancy. When we got to town, we checked and they had two rooms open. However, they charged us $100 more than the prices listed on their web page for the room!! We've never paid so much for a room in our life!! The "WolfDen" suite was adequate inside, but certainly nothing special for the exhorbitant and inflated rate they charged. We might have been more forgiving until we saw that the hotel charged exhorbitantly for anything and everything they could. This supposedly "kid-friendly" hotel didn't even have children's programming on their TVs, unless you paid extra for it! My advice is stay somewhere else - anywhere else....- and if you want to use the waterpark, pay $15 for a wristband (which they didn't check anyway). Definitely not worth the money. Find a more reputable place somewhere else. There are numerous other hotels in the area.

Stayed March 2007
2 Thank FamilyRoo
Des Moines
Reviewed March 23, 2007

This was our first stay at a GWL and we had a fantastic time. The waterpark was great fun for adults and kids alike. We were able to check in early, a big bonus. The room was nice and clean. It's quite pricey, though, so we only stayed one night.

• Liked — Very fun waterpark!
  • Disliked — Quite expensive
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelMomDesMoines
Reno, NV
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge with 4 adults and 3 children ages 6, 7, and 8. We had a fabulous time! The room was a little small (with so many of us crammed in there) but the beds were comfortable and overall it was very clean.
And the kids had a great time at the waterpark. The large slides that you ride down on "rafts" were steep enough to be fun but not scary and the smaller slides were great for the less adventurous of the family. I was also very please with the number of lifeguards working. I felt very comfortable to let my older two do their own thing. It was also fairly "secure", meaning not just anyone could walk in. We only stayed for one night but it was a lot of fun!
I give it a 5 star rating and definately recommend it to everyone I talk to!!

• Liked — Water park
  • Disliked — Lack of Adult amenities
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank rockin_m