“It was worth the price I paid”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 7, 2007

This was the 7th GW my son and I stayed at and the last part of a GW road trip. We stayed 2 nights and had gotten a special off the website. We arrived at 7pm(after getting lost-had to call the hotel and they got us there) Front desk staff friendly but not the most knowledgable. Room was ready- we had booked the whirlpool/fireplace suite. It was clean with plenty of towels-fireplace worked well which was good since the room heater was very noisy so I used the fireplace as much as possible. Nice fridge/microwave-great for saving money on breakfast/snacks. My son also loves the Wiley soap they give you. Suite was on the waterpark floor which makes it much easier. The waterpark itself was nice-its one of the smaller parks. The best part was the water was the warmest of any of the GW's I had been to. No wave pool which was a bummer. Lifequards were attentive but they seemed short staffed. Biggest problem was the lack of towels. More than once I had to wait for towels-than they ended up handing out the room towels(which are nicer). Chairs and tubes easy to come by. Cub Club was fun-crafts are cute if you are into craft projects. You can color your own tshirt-which I find to be a fun way to remember the trip. The arcade was good size with a wide variety of games and prizes that are above average for that type of thing. The food is average amusement park food and the restaurants are slow. We tried room service for the 1st time and were surprised that it came as fast as it did. Overall we enjoyed our stay. I would never pay full rate for one of thier rooms and would recommend to people to check the website for specials and put your name on the email list. It also helps to book early as the "sale" rooms fill up quickly.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank swim4gold

Reviewed March 27, 2007

Buckle up! This is long. Sorry.
I took my 6 year old twins to this lodge for 2 days during their Spring Break. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon. Our room was ready. The front desk clerk was friendly & answered all my questions. No problem finding our room. We discovered later that we got a prime location as far as rooms go. Only a short walk to the stairs & elevators (as opposed to being WAAAAY on the end of one wing--where the vending/ice is). I was given a signature card, which is the card you use to charge food/items to your room. Everyone also gets a wristband. It's $15 if you lose it. If you want them cut off at night, you can have that done at the front desk & they'll give you new ones for the next day--w/o being charged.
We stayed in a Family Suite, mostly b/c that's all that was available at the time I booked. But it turned out to be just fine for us. It had a refrigerator & microwave so you could bring your own drinks & breakfast food to save money. The bathrooms are VERY small, the lighting is VERY poor, the heater works TOO well (we ended up turning it off--it just wouldn't stop no matter how low I put the temp). But none of that would deter me from returning.
We hit the waterpark as soon as we changed. We did everything & became familar with the park. The towels available are AWFUL. They are small & thin. Luckily, I had brought our own beach towels. I used our own towels to dry off with & cover with, & I used the GWL towels to sit on & dry feet with. That's about all they're good for. Also, they do have lockers available, but you have to put a coin in to get the key.
After about 2 hours, I was done. So I found a chair & relaxed & let them go crazy for another 2 hours. By then it was time for a late dinner.
We went back to our room, changed & ordered Pizza Hut room service. They didn't get our order right, but we were starving so no big deal. We purchased an expensive PPV movie, got ready for bed, & snuggled in to watch it.
My husband joined us late that night (he'd been on a business trip, & met us at GWL after he flew back to MO).

DAY 2: We slept in (or as "in" as any 6 year olds will let you!), got dressed for the water park, then went to the Bear Claw for breakfast. This is a little bakery/deli/snack shop near the front desk. They have cereal & fruit, milk & juice; everything else is pretty much pasteries, donuts, sugar, sugar, sugar. But, hey, we're on vacation. So my son had 2 Krispy Kremes, my husband had a chocolate muffin (huge!), my daughter had chocolate pudding & I had a rice krispie treat (HUGE!). I overheard other parents instructing their kids they couldn't have a brownie for breakfast--but they ended up with a chocolate muffin. Now, tell me what is the difference??? Anyway, we stayed there to eat. There are only 3 little tiny cafe tables w/2 chairs each, so it's really meant for food to be taken back to your room I guess.
Then we hit the waterpark. The kids had fun showing Dad everything. Again, after about 2 hours, the adults were done. This time we had claimed a table (they ARE hard to get--get there early!). My husband & I read while the kids played more.
When it was lunchtime, we got food from the Spirit Island Snack Shop right there inside the waterpark. They have an excellent variety of foods, most of it not very healthy, but they do offer a chef salad. They also serve alcoholic drinks; not a full on bar, but if you want a beer or a marguerita, they have it. My husband had the chef salad, I had a cheeseburger, my son had nachos & french fries, & my daughter had a corn dog & Dippin' Dots; we all had a drink; for approx $30. It was your typical amusement park food.
We played more with the kids until it was time for my daughter to go the Cub Club for craft time. They have a variety of crafts you can make throughout the day. I was given a schedule upon checking in. They have classes all day long. You just show up for the one you want to attend. It's free; there's the occasional extra charge for supplies, depending on what they're making.
So, I took my daughter to the Cub Club to make a crepe paper hula skirt. The lady in charge was very nice & kid friendly. Great craft room. Very organized. My daughter had fun! We went back an hour later for another class. This time making the flower lei to go with the hula skirt!
While we were crafting, the boys went to the arcade. It's a very nice little arcade. Similar to Chuck E Cheese as far as you get tickets & can turn them in for crappy prizes. You can't put token purchases on your room card, so take your wallet with you. After crafting, my daughter stayed in the arcade with the boys while I went back to the room to shower & get ready for dinner. We went to the T-Rex Restaurant in the nearby Legends shopping center.

DAY 3: My husband had to leave us very early this morning for business. The kids & I got up & planned on eating breakfast in the sit-down restaurant there in the lodge (can't remember the name). But, we changed our minds for some reason. I wish we would've tried it. You can look over the restaurant from the 3rd floor (which is where we stayed) & the buffet looked & smelled wonderful. But, we went back to the sugar cafe & had more dessert for breakfast. We visited the gift shop there, & took photos around the lobby, etc. Then we checked out, as we were headed to Crown Center & Science City.

You are allowed to check in at 1:00 & start using the waterpark, even though rooms aren't available until 4. Also, you must check out by 11:00 am, but you can still use the waterpark for the rest of the day. If you wanted to save a bit of money, but still take advantage of the waterpark, you could check into the Hampton Inn just up the street & still use the GWL waterpark all day.

There is also a cheesey clock & animal singing "show" in the lobby 4 times a day. I guess it's probably cute to toddlers, & my daughter liked it; my son thought it was awful.

And I do want to mention, as other reviewers have, that there is an abundance of lifeguards & they all seem to be very aware & paying attention. Also, one of the waterslides requires you to be 48", but my daughter is only 45". However, she rode it multiple times anyway. Also, my kids did the rock climbing in the waterpark. It does cost extra: $5 for one, $8 for two, $12 for three.

We will return--after summer & cold weather sits in.

7  Thank Perrier
Reviewed March 25, 2007

We tried to book a room for Spring Break but the web site said No Occupancy. When we got to town, we checked and they had two rooms open. However, they charged us $100 more than the prices listed on their web page for the room!! We've never paid so much for a room in our life!! The "WolfDen" suite was adequate inside, but certainly nothing special for the exhorbitant and inflated rate they charged. We might have been more forgiving until we saw that the hotel charged exhorbitantly for anything and everything they could. This supposedly "kid-friendly" hotel didn't even have children's programming on their TVs, unless you paid extra for it! My advice is stay somewhere else - anywhere else....- and if you want to use the waterpark, pay $15 for a wristband (which they didn't check anyway). Definitely not worth the money. Find a more reputable place somewhere else. There are numerous other hotels in the area.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank FamilyRoo
Reviewed March 23, 2007

This was our first stay at a GWL and we had a fantastic time. The waterpark was great fun for adults and kids alike. We were able to check in early, a big bonus. The room was nice and clean. It's quite pricey, though, so we only stayed one night.

2  Thank TravelMomDesMoines
Reviewed March 18, 2007

We stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge with 4 adults and 3 children ages 6, 7, and 8. We had a fabulous time! The room was a little small (with so many of us crammed in there) but the beds were comfortable and overall it was very clean.
And the kids had a great time at the waterpark. The large slides that you ride down on "rafts" were steep enough to be fun but not scary and the smaller slides were great for the less adventurous of the family. I was also very please with the number of lifeguards working. I felt very comfortable to let my older two do their own thing. It was also fairly "secure", meaning not just anyone could walk in. We only stayed for one night but it was a lot of fun!
I give it a 5 star rating and definately recommend it to everyone I talk to!!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank rockin_m
Reviewed March 2, 2007

This was our first trip to Great Wolf Lodge and overall we enjoyed our visit . We arrived on Thursday by 1245pm and were able to check into our room right away, although there was only one front desk person at that time so it did take a little while. Having read some earlier reviews I was a little leary, but our room was clean and in good condition. The heater was a little loud, but it really didn't bother us?. I requested a 4th floor room and we had no problems with noice etc.

We have a 6 & 8 year old and they both had a great time in the water park & arcade. We all enjoyed the waterslides, and the activity pool was fun also with several basketball hoops,leap pads, etc. They also have a rock climbing wall that was fun for the kids to try. The waterpark was much less crowded the first day and we got spoiled with no lines. Friday and Saturday were a little hectic and unless you got there early it was difficult to find chairs around the play area to keep an eye on your kids. I would definitely recommend a mid-week stay! Kudos to the lifeguard staff, as they all seemed to be on top of things and were always walking the perimeter of the pool area making sure everyone was safe.

The area around the lodge has great shopping and tons of restaurants also, so something else to do was never a problem! We did find that we all needed a break after a couple hours in the waterpark, as the kids did get a little bored after a while.

We decided that one night would've been enough, especially for the pricetag. We will go back, but definitely will plan a mid-week trip and arrive early and stay one night!

2  Thank gkp0605
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I'm not sure what all the hype is about. This was my daughter's greatest wish for her birthday party. We brough 4 of her friends and stayed in a Family Suite that cost 349.00 BEFORE TAX. After tax it was 394.00. The girls were ranging in ages from 9 to 12. I made sure to check in early (you can check in at 1pm and use the water park until your room is ready.) The line for early check in started forming at 12:45! I didn't know that ahead of time but I luckily had gotten there early enough to be the 3rd in line. By 12:55 the line was at least 20-30 groups. I'm not sure how long they had to stand there but I would guess quite a while.

It was alot of fun for a while but the kids I brought got bored within a few hours. I had figured on spending most of the afternoon and evening there and hadn't brought any other games to entertain the birthday party. Our room was ready at about 3:30 which was about a half hour before regular check in time. The room was in great condition and exceptionally clean. I'm pretty picky about that and was a little apprehensive given some of the reviews on here. I guess it depends where you are. My room couldn't be further away from the waterpark though as it was on the 4th floor at the end of the wing. The 4th floor is the top floor though so we were graced with vaulted cielings and thankfully no one above us to bother us. I'd recommend the 4th floor for sure.

The water park seemed fairly limited but it did have 3 big slides that you ride down in innertubes and 2 medium slides (they were fast!) that you body ride down. The little kiddie area had a couple of teeny slides too. The slides were great fun but the rest of the park was mostly falling water and the "fort" where you climb around and play with various attachments that squirt, pour or spray water. I think the fort is probably ideal for kids ages 4-7. There is also a lazy river and a few hot tubs. You can't bring your own drinks or food into the water park but I was surprised at the low prices of the snack bar. I fed 5 kids for lunch for around 20 bucks.

We did go up to the room for a bit for snacks and once refreshed the girls enjoyed the water park for a few more hours that night and a few hours the next day. You have to check out by 11am but you can use the water park for the rest of the day if you want. Its a logistical nightmare when its about 20 degrees outside and you have to take a bunch of wet kids with wet towels home but they do have showers, lockers and changing rooms.

All in all it was a pretty fun time but hard to justify spending 400 bucks for the room and waterpark. I'd definitely look for a deal and don't book on a "holiday weekend." (yeah...uh....Presidents Day is a big holiday...hmmm.)

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family