“Fun for a while but not worth the money”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed February 19, 2007

I'm not sure what all the hype is about. This was my daughter's greatest wish for her birthday party. We brough 4 of her friends and stayed in a Family Suite that cost 349.00 BEFORE TAX. After tax it was 394.00. The girls were ranging in ages from 9 to 12. I made sure to check in early (you can check in at 1pm and use the water park until your room is ready.) The line for early check in started forming at 12:45! I didn't know that ahead of time but I luckily had gotten there early enough to be the 3rd in line. By 12:55 the line was at least 20-30 groups. I'm not sure how long they had to stand there but I would guess quite a while.

It was alot of fun for a while but the kids I brought got bored within a few hours. I had figured on spending most of the afternoon and evening there and hadn't brought any other games to entertain the birthday party. Our room was ready at about 3:30 which was about a half hour before regular check in time. The room was in great condition and exceptionally clean. I'm pretty picky about that and was a little apprehensive given some of the reviews on here. I guess it depends where you are. My room couldn't be further away from the waterpark though as it was on the 4th floor at the end of the wing. The 4th floor is the top floor though so we were graced with vaulted cielings and thankfully no one above us to bother us. I'd recommend the 4th floor for sure.

The water park seemed fairly limited but it did have 3 big slides that you ride down in innertubes and 2 medium slides (they were fast!) that you body ride down. The little kiddie area had a couple of teeny slides too. The slides were great fun but the rest of the park was mostly falling water and the "fort" where you climb around and play with various attachments that squirt, pour or spray water. I think the fort is probably ideal for kids ages 4-7. There is also a lazy river and a few hot tubs. You can't bring your own drinks or food into the water park but I was surprised at the low prices of the snack bar. I fed 5 kids for lunch for around 20 bucks.

We did go up to the room for a bit for snacks and once refreshed the girls enjoyed the water park for a few more hours that night and a few hours the next day. You have to check out by 11am but you can use the water park for the rest of the day if you want. Its a logistical nightmare when its about 20 degrees outside and you have to take a bunch of wet kids with wet towels home but they do have showers, lockers and changing rooms.

All in all it was a pretty fun time but hard to justify spending 400 bucks for the room and waterpark. I'd definitely look for a deal and don't book on a "holiday weekend." (yeah...uh....Presidents Day is a big holiday...hmmm.)

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank ssourgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (2,486)

Reviewed February 11, 2007

Check-In was a little slow..they wanted lots of info about me, my credit card to have on file, my id, a debit card if I had one. Just sounds like a lot of things for a weekend stay. We got to our room, and the heater was broke, it made a terrible nose when you had it on for more than 5 min. We just left it off, and the room stayed perfect. The room was very clean, and neat. There were a few lights burned out. You could tell the staff took pride in making sure the room was perfect, and that's great, you dont see that in many hotels anymore. They let us in our room early. We went to the water park, and it was great! We had no kids with us, but my husband and I had a great time. The water park was well worth the money to stay there. The water was warm, even when you got out of the hot tub, the pool water was not that bad. The arcade was nice way to have a little fun. We had a good time in there. The Critter Cafe was good food. We went for dinner the first time and got great service, and great food. We went for breakfast the 2nd a.m. we did not get very good service, and there was not very much food for $10.00. What was there was good though. We had some ice-cream at the Bear Claw Cafe it was good. They had several things to pick from, more for people who are trying to watch what they eat. Try to get there before the water park closes or you will have to wait a while for things. We did have room service 1 time and they were pretty fast about it. I did have to call the front desk 2 times and both times I got the same girl and both times she hung up on me. Over all the stay was great and well worth the $$. The staff was very nice (except the front desk lady) and helpful. Great time had by all!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ebennett
Reviewed January 17, 2007

The only reason I am giving 3 stars is because my kids had a fun time.

We have been to two other indoor water parks in Missouri (one in Branson, the other at Lake of the Ozarks). Great Wolf has the best one. The food was good at the waterpark area. They have PizzaHut and will serve alcohol drinks to grown-ups. Reasonable prices too. The water was warm and comfy, the rides and pool areas are laid out well. We have two little ones under the age of 3. The toddler area isn't too deep and they have 3 slides for kids. It was nice to sit and watch them play. This part I liked. Life guards are always paying attention. I give 5 stars for that. Although I never let my babies out of my sight, it is still comforting to have an extra set of eyes watching.

Now the room: we booked a Kid Cabin. The size was great and the little cabin area was cute. That's about it though. The beds, linens and pillows were uncomfortable and worn. The bathroom and furnishings are outdated. We paid about $200 a night, when regular rates are around $375. If you are paying Ritz or Four Seasons prices, don't you expect those type of accomadations? The air/heat is VERY loud. I had to run it though to drown out the neighboring room noise however. The only way to keep is going was to run it on "fan." Not good when it's 10 degrees outside.

Restaurant: so-so food, good drinks though. Both mornings I had Starbucks at the little cafe and I was disappointed. The latte was bland and the coffee was watery. The Krispy Kreme donuts made up for it though.

Overall this is fun for the kids, but don't have high expectations when it comes to the room. Oh, and book a top floor because the ceilings/floors are paper thin. I could hear the family above us each morning. Although they were only walking it sounded like stomping.

Would we come back?? I love my kids more than a comfy bed so the answer is yes. They had fun. The hotel is kinda yucky though.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank kenzielou1
Reviewed January 14, 2007

When we arrived and checked in the front desk clerk didn't mention anything about locating the Water Park itself. There are no signs outside of the rooms pointing in the direction of the Water Park. Had to call the front desk to ask how to get to the park. Once we got there, we walked up the stairs to the slide and then the lifeguard told us we needed a raft to go down the slide we wanted to go on. There were no signs at the bottom of the slides. I went over to use the towel that the Water Park provided for us and there we 2 roaches crawling on one of the towels.

The room was laid out well, however, it wasn't the cleanest. The tiles in the bathroom were loose. Mold and mildew were present along the edges of the bathtub. When I used the faucet in the tub, it came apart. The microwave is on a built-in shelf and the top of the shelf was covered in dust. Unfortunately I didn't notice it before I laid my white shirt up there to keep it from getting dirty.

The first day we were there, one of the elevators to the other levels was out of order. It was fixed in a few hours. The next day, the elevator by our room was out of order and never did get fixed while we were there.

We ended up staying 2 days because of the weather, but it wouldn't have been my choice after what I experienced the first day.

4  Thank Carge
Reviewed January 9, 2007

This was our second stay at this property. Our first trip was great, but this trip had a few problems. The dividing wall in our family suite had been climbed on by some earlier guests-it had black scuff and shoe marks all over it. We told the front desk, and they said they'd let maintenance know so they could fix it-after we left apparently. Our in room heater made a loud clicking/popping noise all night long and we ended up turning it off. The manager did take care of us as far as the heater problem went, but after not getting a good night sleep and having to look at the dirty walls, it didn't quite feel like we were getting what we paid for.
The waterpark was great, as usual, though. The kids really enjoyed it. The only tip I would give people staying here is if you have a lot of kids, or are on a budget, bring your own snacks! And leave the property for dinner-there are a lot of great restaurants in the area that are less expensive. The prices in the snack bar and restaurant aren't too outrageous, but it can add up!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank MOracefan
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I can't speak for the summertime, but in the winter, Great Wolff is the bomb! My extended family of 14 stayed in a couple of suites, ages ranged from 80 year old great grandparents to 1 year old. I'm not sure who enjoyed it the most. That was our second stay.

The clorine is a bit overwhelming- I wish they could tone that down a tad.

The Aveda spa is nice, facilities are good. This is a great place for a family event. There is good proximity of Cabelas and Nebraska Furniture Mart if people want to wander.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SkiKat
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Just returned from a stay at the GWL, stayed in the kidcabin suite. First the front desk was great and gave good info. The room itself was ok, i was expecting a little larger room, but it wasnt that much bigger than the reg. rooms. there was a tear in the sofa/sleeper(not that big of a deal but with the money there making you would think it wouldnt happen)
The bathroom had good water pressure (which is a must for me) but when i took a shower there was a big clump of hair on the shower wall, so that was very disgusting:(.
The waterpark is still great for the kids as is the arcade. Didnt eat at rest. so wont omment on it.
Overall a decent stay but if the GWL ever has some compition from another waterpark resort in the area they will need some upgrading or lower pricing for there rooms.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family