“Fantastic”

Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Houston TX
“Fantastic”
Reviewed December 4, 2006

I can't speak for the summertime, but in the winter, Great Wolff is the bomb! My extended family of 14 stayed in a couple of suites, ages ranged from 80 year old great grandparents to 1 year old. I'm not sure who enjoyed it the most. That was our second stay.

The clorine is a bit overwhelming- I wish they could tone that down a tad.

The Aveda spa is nice, facilities are good. This is a great place for a family event. There is good proximity of Cabelas and Nebraska Furniture Mart if people want to wander.

• Liked — Great theme, pools
  • Disliked — Too much clorine inside
  • Tips/Secrets — Go in the fall or winter
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank SkiKat

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Grand Prairie, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2006

Just returned from a stay at the GWL, stayed in the kidcabin suite. First the front desk was great and gave good info. The room itself was ok, i was expecting a little larger room, but it wasnt that much bigger than the reg. rooms. there was a tear in the sofa/sleeper(not that big of a deal but with the money there making you would think it wouldnt happen)
The bathroom had good water pressure (which is a must for me) but when i took a shower there was a big clump of hair on the shower wall, so that was very disgusting:(.
The waterpark is still great for the kids as is the arcade. Didnt eat at rest. so wont omment on it.
Overall a decent stay but if the GWL ever has some compition from another waterpark resort in the area they will need some upgrading or lower pricing for there rooms.

• Liked — waterpark
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Gregory W
Nebraska
Reviewed October 11, 2006

We recently returned from one night at Great Wolf Lodge. The hotel seemed okay--at first. I thought the waterpark would be bigger, but my 7 year old daughter still had a good time. We swam for about an hour the night we arrived, then again the next morning until 1:00 in the afternoon. I was surprised how old-looking and grungy the hotel rooms look since the hotel is only a couple of years old. There was definitely nothing special about the hotel rooms. The night we stayed there, we didn't get much sleep. My 7 year old didn't want to get into her bed because the sheets were so rough. I had trouble sleeping all night because the pillows were terrible--very cottony, lumpy, thick pillows. We booked a couple months in advance and were able to book the "Get Loose With the Moose" package, which gets us free breakfast buffet in the morning for $10 added onto our room rate. I have to say that was a great benefit since buffet is normally $9.95/adult. With 2 small children, we didn't not want to pack up and leave the hotel to find breakfast, but I probably wouldn't have paid for it if it wasn't added into our package either. Checkout was at 11:00, so we threw all of the dirty clothes from the floor into the suitcase, packed them into the car, swam a little bit, then went home. When we arrived home, I unpacked the suitcase. On a pair of jeans, I found a bug! I yelled for my husband to bring a kleenex to kill it and he did and told me it was a roach. It just ruined my whole entire trip, even though it was already over. I've never seen a bug like that before and I knew it had to have been picked off of the hotel room floor with our dirty clothes. I doubt we'll be back again--its not worth the price.

• Liked — waterpark
  • Disliked — bugs we brought home
  • Tips/Secrets — Shake out your clothes before you pack up and leave for home!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank adghk
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 7, 2006

We live about 40 minutes from there. However, for Fathers day we wanted to all get away. They had a Fathers Day relay race in which we took first place and we won hundreds of dollars in prizes. The #1 thing was when my son got his little finger crunched in a door, the staff gave him a stuffed wolf animal to get to feeling better. This place is AWESOME for families. Take our word for it and you will not go wrong with staying there.
Jason Russell

• Liked — Activities
  • Disliked — Checkin and checkout times were really bad times.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go during the week as it is about $75 cheaper per night that way.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Russells
St. Louis
Reviewed July 29, 2006

We stayed one night at the Great Wolf Lodge and were disappointed. We paid a lot of money for a cramped room with worn furnishings and dirty carpet. The pull out sofa was ripped. From our balcony we could see a work site and the smell of employees smoking wafted up. The water park was jam packed--the reservationist didn't tell us it was open to the paying public.
Save your money and go to a free standing water park.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Francesginger
Traer, Iowa
Reviewed June 18, 2006

A wonderful place to stay. Clean. Professional Staff. Wonderful pool. Wonderful location that is easy to get to - and to get to other locations in and around Kansas City.

Cant get much better than that!

• Stayed June 2006
8 Thank cv3_iowa
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 27, 2006

My daughter and I just returned from a stay at the WONDERFUL Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas CIty. I am 41 years old but still basically a kid at heart. I'm not sure who had a better time today. The waterpark was incredible, my daughter is only 5 and very small for her age and the kiddie pool was shallow enough I wasn't terrified the entire time. We spent most of our time climbing up and down the fort in the center of the waterpark and figuring out all the myriad ways to drench ourselves and people passing by. All the staff we dealt with were very friendly and helpful and the lifeguards were very attentive especially considering how young they all were. I am terribly over-protective and after a short period of time I was relaxed and realized my daughter was in a place where she was safe and could have a great time. I can think of nothing better to suggest to other parents than that today was one of the few times I was as sad as my daughter when it was time to leave.

• Stayed May 2006