“Good service”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed March 7, 2006

I just wanted to write to say how helpful the staff were at GWL. I stayed with my mom, aunt and 9 month old. We planned on staying for 2 nights but my mom got a very bad cold and fever on the first night and decided to go back home the next morning. The staff gave us our money back for the second night even though their policy was to charge us some type of fee. I have been to other hotels that would not have done that!

Stayed: February 2006
2  Thank kelkc

Reviewed March 6, 2006

We had a great time! The water in the kid pool was warm and they had little slides for the little ones. They also had life jacket if needed. The big slides were great too. My 3 yr olds favorite was the lilly pads in the big pool she could walk from one pad to the next holding the rope above. She also loved the lazy river. The arcade was fun as well.
They have fridges in the room, and microwaves, so come prepared the foods $$$$. So bring your own doughnuts and milk. we paid $14 for 2 milks,2 danishes and a muffin for breakfast and the pop was over $2 a bottle.
There is plenty of great resturants very close. And a new mall,and lots of shopping so you dont need to leave the area to have a great time.
Early in the week is a good time to go if you can, less people, less lines on the slides.

A TripAdvisor Member
kansas city, Missouri,
Reviewed March 2, 2006

our first time, my nephew got sick after swimming. Didn't think much of it at the time. My son went yesterday (02/01/06) w/his school. My son and 4 classmates came home sick. What are they putting in their water? On my first and last trip - there was a used tampon floating in the water at the end of the waterslide. NICE!!

Stayed: January 2005
21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Upon reading several reviews, we were expecting much worse. However, we had a pleasant stay at GWL in KCK. I did take the tips listed on this review panel by taking our own beach towels and snacks and booking a top floor room. There is a frig, coffee pot and microwave in the room. Save yourself some $$ and take your own snacks. We never had to mess with the waterpark towels. We've been to numerous waterparks and they all have papertowel thin towels. The park floor is ceramic tile and skid proof for the most part. The water is purified hourly. The waterslides are really fun and the adult hot tub is hot, bubbly and rarely used.

The room itself was very clean and spacious providing all the typical amenities like hairdryer, etc. We also requested a 4th floor room to avoid the above floor noise per the reviews here. I am a very light sleeper and by doing so and turning on the fan (which was much higher than most--that's a good thing)I slept very well. I found our beds to be satisfactory. As far as noise levels outside and nearby, they have enacted a 'hibernation period' at 11 pm. I don't know if they've always had it, but we honestly never had a noise problem at all. The fitness center is rarely used and satisfactory for a 'vacation' workout. There is a television in there to watch also. RE: restaurants. I read here about the long wait, rude employees, etc. We once again never experienced that at all. We ate at Critter Camp and the food was reasonably priced and good. In fact, if you'll arrive as soon as the restaurant opens for breakfast, you will be served quickly. They do have a buffet although we didn't choice that option. The Cafe has necessary snacks, etc but they are a bit pricey and long line there. The check in line at 2pm was already a 25 minute wait. At 6pm it was ridiculously long. We noticed about 7pm, there was not a line. Overall, we enjoyed our stay...but....

There is one complaint I do have. Too many hotel guests running around in their swimming atire (swim suits, no shoes, no shirts on males)outside of the waterpark and inside the hotel quarters. There is a hotel rule against this but IT IS NOT ENFORCED! We find this to be very rude, unsanitary and tacky. Teenagers were skimpily clad throughout the hotel, especially the arcade. There were many kids traveling throughout the halls, etc without parents and dressed like this.

• Stayed: January 2006
14  Thank towerbug
A TripAdvisor Member
Kansas City
Reviewed January 17, 2006

My family and I loved the Great Wolf Lodge. We went on a weekday so we had the place to ourselves. There were people there but it was not croweded at all. While my husband and son enjoyed the waterpark, I went to the spa. I had the best massage and facial ever! I did not even know there was a spa there, so it was a very nice surprise. Also, my son is a very picky eater so it was nice that they had a pizza hut. Check in and check out was smooth, but like I stated
it was a weekday so there were no lines. They still have these beautiful snowflakes hanging from the ceiling, we were very impressed. Overall the hotel was great, the people were friendly. We are going back in a couple of months and I will definetly go back to the spa for a full day!

• Stayed: January 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 16, 2006

My husband and I stayed one night with our seven year old daughter and friends. The check in time took 45 minutes of standing in line. Twice after swimming we went to the towel counter and I was told they were out and it would be a few minutes. Meanwhile my daughter is shivering, having to get back in the water to stay warm. Fifteen minutes later the towels arrived. I told the clerk if you run your hotel around a waterpark there is no reason to run out of towels! She told me that housekeeping was busy cleaning the rooms right now. Hire more people! We went downstairs to eat dinner at the restaurant and had to wait 45 minutes to be seated when half the restaurant was empty. Again, hire more people. I tucked my little girl in that night and I could tell the sheets had not been changed. For $250.oo per night I would expect much better service. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank Michelle R
Reviewed January 10, 2006

Visited Great Wolf Lodge, Kansas City, for one night, New Years Day 2006, with my wife, 2 adult daughters and one boyfriend, plus two boys ages 8 and 12. All had a reasonably good time. Dad and sons found the water park a highlight, while wife and girls liked the nearby shopping mall and movie theatre. We had a Wolf Den Suite on the first floor of the hotel...an advantage in my mind since you can park your car nearby and get your luggage, food bags, ice chest, etc. in/out very easily without going through the lobby and hallways. Also, you can access the water park and arcade without an elevator ride or stair climb. The downside as noted in other reviews is that you hear the people above you walking around and jumping off their bunks...so if you are a light sleeper you may want a top story room and suffer the halls and elevators.
The water park was great, not overly chloriny as others have written. I felt safe with the 8 and 12 yr old doing the slides and water play alone and never had too much trouble finding them in the moderate crowds...there are many attentive lifeguards who I think do a good job if the child has a modicum of swimming skills (life jackets are also available). There is food service in the hotel and at the water park which is a little expensive and slow (none of the staff seemed in a hurry, polite but slow was the standard)...we only had snacks at the hotel, but drove a short way to Cheeseburger in Paradise for dinner. The little take-out deli was adequate for an in room breakfast along with the snacks we brought. All in all, a fun concept of hotel and water park which my kids and I liked...however we did find out that you can buy water park passes only ($15) in case you want to find your own accomodation nearby (there is nothing nicer looking than the GWL now, but there is alot of construction going on).
A one night stay seemed plenty since you can use the park on your day of check-in and then stay until 10pm on your day of check-out (even though you vacate your room, there are small pay lockers for valuables and a shower/changing room). A longer stay would have only been fun for the 8 and 12 year old!

10  Thank emkolb