“Poor Customer Service”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed January 16, 2006

My husband and I stayed one night with our seven year old daughter and friends. The check in time took 45 minutes of standing in line. Twice after swimming we went to the towel counter and I was told they were out and it would be a few minutes. Meanwhile my daughter is shivering, having to get back in the water to stay warm. Fifteen minutes later the towels arrived. I told the clerk if you run your hotel around a waterpark there is no reason to run out of towels! She told me that housekeeping was busy cleaning the rooms right now. Hire more people! We went downstairs to eat dinner at the restaurant and had to wait 45 minutes to be seated when half the restaurant was empty. Again, hire more people. I tucked my little girl in that night and I could tell the sheets had not been changed. For $250.oo per night I would expect much better service. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Stayed: January 2006
5  Thank Michelle R

Reviewed January 10, 2006

Visited Great Wolf Lodge, Kansas City, for one night, New Years Day 2006, with my wife, 2 adult daughters and one boyfriend, plus two boys ages 8 and 12. All had a reasonably good time. Dad and sons found the water park a highlight, while wife and girls liked the nearby shopping mall and movie theatre. We had a Wolf Den Suite on the first floor of the hotel...an advantage in my mind since you can park your car nearby and get your luggage, food bags, ice chest, etc. in/out very easily without going through the lobby and hallways. Also, you can access the water park and arcade without an elevator ride or stair climb. The downside as noted in other reviews is that you hear the people above you walking around and jumping off their bunks...so if you are a light sleeper you may want a top story room and suffer the halls and elevators.
The water park was great, not overly chloriny as others have written. I felt safe with the 8 and 12 yr old doing the slides and water play alone and never had too much trouble finding them in the moderate crowds...there are many attentive lifeguards who I think do a good job if the child has a modicum of swimming skills (life jackets are also available). There is food service in the hotel and at the water park which is a little expensive and slow (none of the staff seemed in a hurry, polite but slow was the standard)...we only had snacks at the hotel, but drove a short way to Cheeseburger in Paradise for dinner. The little take-out deli was adequate for an in room breakfast along with the snacks we brought. All in all, a fun concept of hotel and water park which my kids and I liked...however we did find out that you can buy water park passes only ($15) in case you want to find your own accomodation nearby (there is nothing nicer looking than the GWL now, but there is alot of construction going on).
A one night stay seemed plenty since you can use the park on your day of check-in and then stay until 10pm on your day of check-out (even though you vacate your room, there are small pay lockers for valuables and a shower/changing room). A longer stay would have only been fun for the 8 and 12 year old!

10  Thank emkolb
Reviewed December 27, 2005

We stayed on December 26, 2005 as our Christmas gift to our boys (ages 8, 10 & 11).

If you're going for the hotel, it's okay...rustic, nice sized rooms. But if you're like us, you're going for the whole experience, which included the water park.

We arrived at the peak check in time (4:00 p.m.) There were alot of people in several lines, but the process only took about 10 minutes. We stayed in the Kid Cabin Suite, which was perfect for our boys. It had two bunk beds, and a single bed in their "cabin". It was like they had their own little apartment with a television. They really enjoyed it. In addition, it had a small "queen" bed, and a sofa sleeper. (room sleeps a total of 7) Our suite had a microwave, refrigerator, and fireplace.

As far as the water park, the only negative was that the chlorine levels were high, and when we went up for the slides, the air was heavy with chlorine and there were alot of people coughing. We had to take frequent breaks to step out for fresh air. Our lungs remained heavy hours after our visit. The facility was very clean, and there were no slick floors. The lines for the tube rides looked long, but moved very fast.

We ate dinner on site, about 5:15 p.m. Food was not expensive...We spent $34 for 3 personal pan pizzas, one order of breadsticks, a hamburger with fries, and a turkey wrap with onion rings. After eating we returned to swim, and there was hardly anyone there at 6:15 p.m.

Things we discovered that you may not know...
Check in time is 4:00, but you can start swimming at 2:00 on the day of your arrival. Check out time the next morning is 11 a.m., but you can swim all day from 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. If you have time, there are complimentary games and movies at the front desk.

If you want to take a break, Cabela's is just a walk away, and there's lots to see there.

We had a great time, and I am looking forward to returning.

19  Thank naet2002
A TripAdvisor Member
Savannah, MO
Reviewed December 18, 2005

The Great Wolf Lodge is a wonderful place to stay. We went once in August and again last week. The rooms were very spacious and well equipped with a mini-fridge and microwave.The line to check-in was a little long, but I think that was only because we arrived at peek check-in time. The staff was very accomadating and friendly.

The waterpark is unbelievable. Even the temperature is perfect. You don't have to worry about the little ones getting cold when they are out of the water and the kiddie area has warmer water to keep them cozy.

The lines were never very long and we were there all weekend. The attractions are so spread out that you don't even realize how many people are there.

We went during their "snowland" promotion which is just enchanting. Santa was there, along with Rowdy the Reindeer. My son even made Christmas gifts for me in a special kid's club. The lobby was beautifully decorated with all kinds of winter decor.

We are already planning our next trip. The Great Wolf is far better than any outdoor waterpark, because of it's convenience. Whether it rains or shines, you can have a great time! Don't miss this place! It is worth the money.

• Stayed: December 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Omaha
Reviewed December 14, 2005

We arrived at the hotel and were amazed at the sites and the long lines for check-in. Which set the pace for our entire stay. Waiting for elevators, waiting for Santa, waiting for your turn on the waterslides, and waiting for restraunt seating WOW. If you have little ones make sure you plan WAY ahead. The hotel rooms were very nice but the noise WOW. We were told that there would be a 20 minute wait which turned out to be 90 minutes. The hotel staff was extremly rude and unable to answer the simplest questions. But he waterpark made up for all of it. One bit of advice if you do stay here make sure you bring your own meals or eat off site. Try to Bring everything with you because the closes gas station is 4 miles away.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 25, 2005

Our family had a fun time staying at GWL. We found it pretty easily and stayed for one night. The room was nice but average. We did enjoy sitting out on the balcony at night. We did not pay the extra for the kids' bunkbed room so they basically had to sleep on a sleeper sofa. The pool area was nice. We ate in the little restaurant in the hotel and enjoyed the food. There aren't too many places to visit right around the hotel as far as within walking distance. The check in time was not too bad. It actually took us longer to check out. Carts for luggage are hard to get during checkout in the a.m. With the pool pass the kids can go the pool again in morning before you checkout and return for a morning swim. I believe you can even swim for the rest of the day even after you checkout but we chose not to do this so we could shower and dress in our own room vs the swim locker rooms. There are lockers in the locker room to keep valuables which we found helpful. Overall we had a nice visit to GWL and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank FunTimes88
Reviewed September 12, 2005

When my wife and I started planning a summer-end, quick getaway for our family of four, we heard many great things about the Great Wolf Lodges. After some research and persistant net surfing, we also found a fantastic deal.

This is definitely a great family vacation location. We had a blast! Check-in was easy and our room was ready when we arrived. We stayed in the Wolf's Den with our 3 & 2 year old boys. They loved having their own "room" with bunk beds and the TV, of course. The waterpark was great for kids of all ages. Our boys really enjoyed the kid sized adventures as well as some of the adult ones. We stayed during the week so lines were nonexistant. They offered lifejackets at no charge. Just supply them with an ID to check one out. The lifeguards were friendly and appeared attentive. One morning before the park opened, we witnessed them practicing emergency scenarios.

Our web package included breakfast at Camp Critter every morning. The menu was quite elaborate for the youngsters. They certainly enjoyed their meals. I felt like I was eating at an overpriced cafeteria. I would definitely recommend the Famous Dave's BBQ just across the street. Delicious!

The off-season room rate was more than appropriate. It will be difficult paying full price when I return. Overall the lodge was well kept. The staff was very friendly. Our family is already considering a return visit to KC or another GWL city.

I really wanted to share some photos because I think it's a great feature of this website. But we bought a waterproof throwaway camera and the pictures were all underexposed. I'd recommend taking advantage of the GWL waterproof digital camera offer. You give them a refundable deposit and when you return the camera they give you a CD with all your photos for $20.

• Stayed: September 2005