“Awesome Water Park But”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha
Reviewed December 14, 2005

We arrived at the hotel and were amazed at the sites and the long lines for check-in. Which set the pace for our entire stay. Waiting for elevators, waiting for Santa, waiting for your turn on the waterslides, and waiting for restraunt seating WOW. If you have little ones make sure you plan WAY ahead. The hotel rooms were very nice but the noise WOW. We were told that there would be a 20 minute wait which turned out to be 90 minutes. The hotel staff was extremly rude and unable to answer the simplest questions. But he waterpark made up for all of it. One bit of advice if you do stay here make sure you bring your own meals or eat off site. Try to Bring everything with you because the closes gas station is 4 miles away.

• Stayed: December 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (2,524)

Reviewed October 25, 2005

Our family had a fun time staying at GWL. We found it pretty easily and stayed for one night. The room was nice but average. We did enjoy sitting out on the balcony at night. We did not pay the extra for the kids' bunkbed room so they basically had to sleep on a sleeper sofa. The pool area was nice. We ate in the little restaurant in the hotel and enjoyed the food. There aren't too many places to visit right around the hotel as far as within walking distance. The check in time was not too bad. It actually took us longer to check out. Carts for luggage are hard to get during checkout in the a.m. With the pool pass the kids can go the pool again in morning before you checkout and return for a morning swim. I believe you can even swim for the rest of the day even after you checkout but we chose not to do this so we could shower and dress in our own room vs the swim locker rooms. There are lockers in the locker room to keep valuables which we found helpful. Overall we had a nice visit to GWL and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: July 2004
3  Thank FunTimes88
Reviewed September 12, 2005

When my wife and I started planning a summer-end, quick getaway for our family of four, we heard many great things about the Great Wolf Lodges. After some research and persistant net surfing, we also found a fantastic deal.

This is definitely a great family vacation location. We had a blast! Check-in was easy and our room was ready when we arrived. We stayed in the Wolf's Den with our 3 & 2 year old boys. They loved having their own "room" with bunk beds and the TV, of course. The waterpark was great for kids of all ages. Our boys really enjoyed the kid sized adventures as well as some of the adult ones. We stayed during the week so lines were nonexistant. They offered lifejackets at no charge. Just supply them with an ID to check one out. The lifeguards were friendly and appeared attentive. One morning before the park opened, we witnessed them practicing emergency scenarios.

Our web package included breakfast at Camp Critter every morning. The menu was quite elaborate for the youngsters. They certainly enjoyed their meals. I felt like I was eating at an overpriced cafeteria. I would definitely recommend the Famous Dave's BBQ just across the street. Delicious!

The off-season room rate was more than appropriate. It will be difficult paying full price when I return. Overall the lodge was well kept. The staff was very friendly. Our family is already considering a return visit to KC or another GWL city.

I really wanted to share some photos because I think it's a great feature of this website. But we bought a waterproof throwaway camera and the pictures were all underexposed. I'd recommend taking advantage of the GWL waterproof digital camera offer. You give them a refundable deposit and when you return the camera they give you a CD with all your photos for $20.

• Stayed: September 2005
8  Thank louiehawker
Omaha
Reviewed September 11, 2005

My husband, 2 year-old and I enjoyed the waterpark but the hotel room was a very average hotel room for $200/night.
When we initally arrived at 9pm on Friday our room smelled like kitty litter. The front desk offered us another room near by and we easily moved a little way down the hall. Unfortunatley the front desk didn't document that we had moved so at 3 am another guest was given a key to our room and we were startled awake by our door slamming against the security door chain. It was hard to fall back asleep after feeling like anyone could get a key to our room and try to get in. The response from the front desk was simply "sorry about that" with no offer of compensation.
The next morning we were to meet some friends for breakfast but found that there was no shower curtain in our shower. At 8 am we called to get a replacement but the front desk told us that the "person with the key to the storage room" woundn't be in until 8:30. Unless we would have insisted that someone obtain us a shower curtain from an unoccupied room, I think that would have been their "just deal with it" answer.
The coffee pot in our room kept blowing the electrical outlet fuses so we asked for a replacement. A worker came up and handed me the coffee pot from the unoccupied room accross the hall and then I watched her simply take our broken one and put it back in the other room. I guess that summarizes what I think about their service... they just move broken things around until someone else has to complain. We spoke with 2 different managers about our issues during the stay and both simply said "Sorry, we'll look into it."
Next time in KC we will stay at another hotel and go to Oceans of Fun for our waterpark.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Olathe, KS
Reviewed September 11, 2005

My husband and I stayed one night on a Sunday. We got a great deal off thier webpage for a Jaccuzzi Suite with King Bed and a Fireplace for $149 + tax (came to around $175). We arrived about 4:15 and had absolutly no wait for check-in. We were on the bottom floor which is the same level as the water park and the arcade. The room was set up very nice and the jaccuzzi tub was larger than most other hotels offer. We found the room had more than enough towels, there were six total, and four pillows. We ate at Camp Critter and although we enjoyed the meal we thought it way overpriced for the quality and portions that you get. After that we headed to the water park and had a blast. The water park was crowed but the waits wer short to none. The only complaint I had about the water park is that the outside pool closed too early. Later that night we headed back to Camp Critter and enjoyed drinks at the bar, try the mango margarita it's to die for! We are will definetly be heading back and next time we would like to bring our 4 year old, the place is very kid friendly.

• Stayed: August 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 26, 2005

Our family of six just returned from Great Wolfe Lodge and we loved it. We only were able to stay one night and highly recommend that you spend at least two nights here if time and money allow. There is so much to do here, between the crafts, story times, clock tower, gift shop, etc, not to mention the waterslides! This is a lot of fun. We stayed in a loft room, mainly because I wanted to be on the top floor so no one would be banging on our ceiling above us. The room was okay, not quite as wonderful as I expected for the price. We seemed to be on our own here, there was no information in the room telling us about pool hours, restaraunts, etc. The front desk was helpful and all staff seemed very friendly. We will return but hopefully in the winter when swimming isn't so easy to come by.

If you are wanting to relax and enjoy peace and quiet on your vacation don't go here. The waterpark was soooo noisy and pretty crowded. The rooms are away from the waterpark so you don't hear a thing from there. We were just very rushed and it was so loud everywhere except our room. We will return though.

• Stayed: July 2005
5  Thank dkjm28
Reviewed July 16, 2005

This is definitely a place for families with young children. We stayed there on a Sunday evening (good internet rates for weekday stays). When we checked in, we were immediately offered to stay another night for $130. This is worth taking into consideration when you plan for a stay at Great Wolf Lodge. Had I booked the same room for 2 consecutive nights on the internet, I would have paid ~$170/night. If I were to do this again, I would have booked 1 night on the internet (for $170), and then taken them up on their offer to stay another night for $130. However, we couldn't stay an extra night so we couldn't take advantage of the good deal.

A couple negatives... there was a huge line to check in at about 5 pm and the price of food at their morning snack bar was too high (not a surprise though).

Otherwise, the water park was, to my surprise, not crowded. We probably had to wait a maximum of 15 minutes for a couple of the tube slides. The other water slides had a 1-2 minute wait. Later in the evening (~ 6 pm), the water park crowd diminished. Our room was clean and large. We got the regular 2 bed queen suite (cheapest room in the place). It can fit 6 people because there is a pull-out couch.

If you want food, there are plenty of choices in the immediate vicinity- Arthur Bryant's (well-known for its ribs), Famous Dave's, Jimmy Buffets Cheeseburger in Paradise, Longhorn Steakhouse, and Bob Evans.

Overall, a fun place for families. I only wish we could have stayed another day.

• Stayed: June 2005