“Disappointing”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 28, 2005

The only attraction here is the waterpark! Rooms are very basic for the money. Staff is poorly trained and focused on all the wrong things. Silly rules like only one thin towel per person while children run screaming through the waterpark. There were no extra blankets for the sofa bed "some people take 6 blankets" so there were none for us. I was questioned about the fact that I didn't have a wristband while sitting reading a book in street clothes watching my children inside the waterpark. Like I'd come there to relax and read??? Food is terrible, overpriced and the staff is uninformed and rude..

Showers and bathrooms are utilitarian, not even a soap dish. Towels are paper thin, our door lock didn't work --the staff acknowleged that "oh yeah! the lock is broken".. I could go on but there is no point. There was a 40 minute wait for brunch, when we were seated half the place was empty. I could go on, but no point. Stay away!

Stayed: April 2005
9  Thank goict

Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 19, 2005

This hotel/lodge has a fasanating and awesome display in their main lobby, a large clock with animals and trees(at 8pm this displays comes alive and sings and tells a story to the children). Our room was alot of fun, the children had bunk beds set in a cabin and our part of the room had a comfortable bed and a fireplace. The in-door water park was alot of fun for children and adults, they even have a hot tub for adults only. I was thrilled to find out that they had a spa, after a long car ride I was in need of a massage, and I enjoyed every minute of it. We enjoyed there breakfast buffett and room service from their restuarant. The employees were courteous and helpful. We will definitely be repeat guests.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Papillion, NE
Reviewed April 19, 2005

I stayed at the Great Wolf Lodge over spring break with my two sons 11yo, & 5yo. I was also accompanied by my sister and her family. Although I had been to the Great Wolf in Wisconsin Dells before I had been told it was not as large in size. We all had a wonderful time! I was nervous about taking my 5yo son who is autistic. He had such a wonderful time and all of the staff were very friendly. He doesn't have strong communication skills yet, but he has asked several times since we came home to go back very soon. My husband was not able to join us, but he can't help but promise our sons we will go back very soon. They came home telling him how they were able to go on raft rides by themselves and the lines were not very long. They loved the arcade I think they would have stayed in there the whole time if it wasn't for the water rides. I especially enjoyed the whirlpool for kids/adults it was nice to get my kids to sit in there and let me get a breather from going from slide to slide. I came back telling everyone I worked with, ( I'm a nurse I work in a specialty clinic) as well as my Autism support group of how well this little adventure of ours went. Even the story time at the big clock is still a subject that is brought up at bedtime. Thanks

9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nebraska
Reviewed March 19, 2005

For the money we expected great service, endless things to do, courteous staff and a spotless room. The room was FILTHY! Sticky boot print on bath floor, old ear wax and splattered pop on phone, freezer completely frosted over, food stuck on table, splatters on mirrors, no kleenexes, trash bag of used feminine products left on our counter after maid serviced 2nd day. Water park window ledges full of dirt and debris clearly visible from high rise ride lines and open stair ways. Waited over 40 minutes for food in half empty restaurant-food good. All service lines VERY slow-one server was eating while helping customers at snack bar both times we visited. Emergency phone in waterpark not functioning properly, fire alarm at 1 a.m. barely audible with heater running in room. Upon arrival in lobby, not addressed by front desk staff regarding the alarm or what to do. Front doors locked and fire personnel had to buzzed in by front desk staff. Not enough to do for the money.

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nebraska
Reviewed March 11, 2005

Most Departments OK. Front Desk Manager Victoria- Not alot to be desired. Atttitude - Like she would rather not deal with the common folks. Lesley the other manager - Nasty to employees. Not much help with desk. Called housekeeping to come back to room twice. They took care of problems. Have a moral problem in hotel. Not what I wanted to share with my family

• Stayed: February 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Omaha
Reviewed February 10, 2005

We just got back from the Great Wolf Lodge and had a great experience. We stayed on a Wednesday. When we arrived at 2pm we were able to check into our room since it was ready. Our room was just a standard family suite, however it was on the 4th floor, so we had nice vaulted ceilings which gave the room a bigger feeling. The bathroom lighting is very dim but other than that the room was clean and nice. The waterpark is great! Both my husband and I had just as much fun as the kids, ages 13, 10 and 9. The lifegaurds on duty were very nice and great with the kids. They were everywhere and changed areas often so they were always re-freshed and alert. Although the cost of the room can be expensive, we were able to get a great special when staying during the week. I would recommend checking the internet for specails for the hotel as it is high priced, but I think for the experience it was worth it. I would NOT STAY on a weekend as I can see that it would be very busy. During the week the park was not as busy and no lines for the slides. We ate at the restaurant instead of the pool area. The kids ate for free with paid adult meal and it was great food. Less expensive than the pool area. Staff was great at the restaurant and it was nice to get away from the pool for a little while. Try to stay away from the game room. Overpriced for "junk toys" the kids won with tickets.

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Scott AFB, Illinois
Reviewed February 8, 2005

We got an excellent rate deal and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! Arrived on a Tuesday during off-peak season. If there was 40 people in the waterpark I'd be shocked. We essentially had the run of the place. Our kids, 2, 7, 10 had a FANTASTIC time as did the adults! There is something for everybody. We did bring our own towels (we're a bit bigger so we bring our own). The only downfall was the Bison burgers...not a big hit with my husband LOL! I cannot say enough praise for this place! After we'd got home my 7yo said he wished he'd had got a stuffed wolf as a souvenier. I called and they took my order over the phone and mailed it with a wonderful letter. KUDOS to the management of this facility. I work in the hotel industry and wish I lived closer so I could apply to work in such a fabulous place!

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member