“Five Star for Kids but Three for Adults”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Five Star for Kids but Three for Adults”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Our recent visit was three days, two nights in late March when the outside activities were not available. We are grandparents and stayed with our son, daughter-in-law, and a 3 and 5 year old.

The kids loved it - no question about it. Its all about the kids here.

At check-in the kids were greeted by members of the "Cub Team" who entertained them and made them balloon figures. We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful. A previous reviewer noted that the lifeguards were very focused on their jobs and I completely agree. We felt the water features were very safe and well managed.

Many have mentioned that the place is pricey. However, this location is very close to the Legends Outlets Mall with many dining options and there are fast food options such as McDonalds that are only a few minutes away. We ate breakfast in our room, the rooms have a refrigerator and microwave, and ate our other meals off premises. This not only reduced cost, but gave us a chance to get out of the water and rest. We also avoided many of the pricey add-on activities and found less expensive alternatives.

The original price quoted to us for bunk beds for the kids was $50. We did not take that option, but then received an email offering a discount and had another opportunity to reduce the price at check-in. Obviously further discounts are based on availability, but I would recommend not taking the bunk beds at the full price.

I agree with other reviewers that the property shows some wear. Our bathtub was of the plastic variety and the floor underneath moved and creaked during each shower. The room was not well dusted by housekeeping and we received wash cloths instead of hand towels the first day. Our heating/cooling unit did a good job of maintaining temperature but was extremely noisy. The beds were too soft and hard to sleep in. The room is more expensive because the water park is included, but the hotel facility is not of equivalent quality for the price that is charged.

But, the kids don't notice these things - they loved it. So for me, this is a place to visit with the kids at least once, especially if you live within an easy drive.

Room Tip: This is noisy place. The quietest locations are on the higher floors and further away from the cente...
3 Thank Rick S

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We just spent the last 3 days at great wolf lodge in KS and had a really good time. It was my husband, me and our 2 kids ages 5 and 2 (soon to be 3 in May). We paid a little more for the room with the wolf den which was expected. I also paid to get both kids the paw passes. The reason I went with those instead of the jr passes is because I knew my kids would want the bears and play the magi quest game. Paying the extra 70 dollars for these passes are well worth it because if you break down the pass it's a ton of money in saving. The magi quest is pretty cool, my husband and 5 year had a blast. The game has some wear but that's to be expected when it's a kids game. The food is horrible, whatever you do do NOT buy their pizza and we didn't eat anything else there but the snack bar in the water park area didn't look any better. The sweets are amazing and I would recommend the Oreo cheesecake. The water park is a lot of fun and we enjoyed the hot tub that let kids in, gave my husband and I a chance to calm down and have the kiddos close by. Now the little kiddie pool was nice and warm in the morning but by the afternoon it would get ice cold but I did see someone checking the temp at one point so they where aware of the problem. The slides are a lot of fun but they need better signs that point you in the right path, if you have never been there you wouldn't think to look on the ground to follow the paw prints the the slide you want. I would say the only downfall that bothered us was that the gift shop and the sweet shop only had one worker and at the gift shop it would be nice to have an extra person because if a kid is ready to get their bear you have to wait while the one worker goes and builds their bear and anything else that kid might need before they help people at the counter.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank 1happyma
Denver
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We just returned from our second visit to Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City. We knew what to expect because we had spent 1 night there on the way to St. Louis two years ago. Since that one night, our kids couldn't stop talking about it. They've been all over, and it seemed that Great Wolf ranked very high on their list of places to return, so in a moment of weakness, we decided to go and stay a bit longer.

This review is tricky because, while I wholeheartedly recommend it if you have kids, it does not come without a list of cautions.

First, room vs. the price. It is incredibly overpriced for what you get. This trip we combined an online special for about $180 a night with their Military discount for about $190. It would be easy to expect an outstanding or at least great room for that price, but what you get is a basic room with decent housekeeping -- there was an old yogurt in our fridge when we got there as well as a cup of cigarette butts on our patio. The bed was horribly saggy and the bunks are vinyl and they don't make them with a top sheet so be sure to ask for extra top sheets! The room also needs maintenance, there was a drawer that didn't work and the drapes had a small tear, the wallpaper was loose in a few spots and the mirror was smeary. But it wasn't filthy or smelly at all. The sheets seemed fresh as did the towels. We booked an upgraded kids cabin room for an extra 20 a night -- so the room was big too. The bill was big too!

Next -- the Water Park
This is the part the kids love. It is awesome to have endless entertainment just steps away from the room. My son loved the lazy river, but I scraped up my toes on the rough bottom. Also there is a big drip overhead that smelled a touch moldy. The slides were a big hit too. The life guards seemed on task at all times and I generally felt good about the kids playing here but it could have been a bit cleaner too -- I could actually see dust on the tops of the slides!

The Magiquest Game
We didn't know about the game on our last stop and didn't play. This time I booked the game ahead using the "paw pass" option. I must say the person who invented the game is brilliant -- I picture a tired mom who has screamed at her kids for the last time stop running in the hotel hallway and suddenly decides "what if they could run around?" To complete the quest you must run up and down the hallway and stairs and find all kinds of things. It is clearly designed to make small children very tired. My kids loved it and I would have too if I hadn't felt too paranoid to let them run crazy without me -- as a result I think I'm the only one who was tired. I wondered if they could have figured out some kind of security system or cameras or if perhaps I was just too paranoid to let a 7 & 9 year old run around a hotel on their own?

The Food
The food at the lodge was only ok -- again with the price of the lodge you might expect something more exciting but it was just ok. I was annoyed at breakfast that the sausage and bacon were not on the buffet but rather with the omelet chef which slowed him down and made for a line for bacon or sausage for the kids -- the breakfast wasn't free or included with lodging so I felt like they could have been more generous with the breakfast meat, but again, this trip wasn't about me!

There is more, too. A stuffed animal building station, mini golf and an arcade. All deep money pits, all completely adored by my kids. I highly recommend the "paw pass". It gave me personal permission to say yes to all of the crap I normally say no to and my kids, again were very happy.

Overall, I don't look forward to doing this again -- it was overpriced and, I the bed (room 110) was horrible. Still, my kids would write a very very different review and I know that is the only reason we went in the first place.

Room Tip: I wouldn't pay for the upgraded room, it didn't add much. Ask for an extra top sheet for th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for sharing such a detailed review about your visit to Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City. Your concerns about price are understandable, but with a little bit of planning a stay at this location can be very affordable, especially during the week when room availability is higher. Utilizing a military discount is an even better way to save money when booking your Great Wolf Lodge vacation!

If you would like to see lower starting rates, I would recommend visiting in May or September.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Kearney, Nebraska
Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was our first visit to the GWL and my 4-year-old thought it was the "best thing ever." The water park kept her entertained for hours and she loved the story time in the evening. She also had fun walking around the lodge with her magic wand to do the Magi Quest.
While my husband and I also enjoyed the water park, we were less-than-thrilled with some other aspects. The service at the bar and grill was TERRIBLE. The first evening we were there, we went and had dinner. When the waitress first came over my husband ordered a draft beer and I ordered a mojito. 10 minutes went by and the waitress came back asking my husband if he'd like anything to drink while he waited on his beer... we were a little confused why it was taking so long to get our bar drinks and the waitress stated there was only one bartender. While there was only one bartender, there were only 4 people sitting at the bar and one other family eating dinner - a bartender should be able to handle the drink orders. 10 minutes later our food arrived and we still had not received our bar drinks. When we asked the server, she stated she would check with the bartender - she came back and stated that the draft beer my husband wanted was currently out and asked if he'd like a bottle instead... why they hadn't told us that before, we don't know. We decided to cancel our bar order as it was apparent we were never going to get our drinks. The manager then came over and asked how everything was. We told her about our drinks and she said she'd be happy to give us a free dessert and that someone would be over with a menu shortly. We ate our entire meal and waited - no one ever came with a dessert menu. We paid and left. We then went and had their buffet breakfast the next morning and had to wait 20 minutes for our drinks (coffee, oj, & milk)... and we were one of the first families in the restaurant. Not the kind of service I expected for a hotel that charges $200+ a night.
Also, be forewarned - not only are the rooms expensive, so is everything else! $10 for a locker rental, close to $50 for a wand and "entrance" to the Magi Quest game... the list could go on. However, all the employees that worked in the shops were exceptionally nice and helpful. I also had an incredibly wonderful massage at the Elements Spa.
The room wasn't anything wonderful - we got a family suite. The beds were comfortable but there were stains throughout the room that could have easily been spotted and cleaned by the housekeeping staff.
Overall, I don't know if we'll return. My daughter loved it, but I'm sure we could find a place that we're all overjoyed with.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing the experience you had during your stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City! I want to sincerely apologize for the service you received while dining with us and reassure you this level of service is not customary for us and does not meet with the expectations we have set for great guest service. I will share your feedback with our Food & Beverage team for them to review to ensure this is not an issue on future visits.

We hope to host your family again soon.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I took my kids for a couple of days to stay at this location and they loved the water park area. The breakfast buffet was overpriced nasty food my children were gagging on it. The rooms and hallways could use some work. Our room had holes in the carpet and stains all over it. I also think that the $10 locker fee with $10 deposit is a bit much. The employees in the store were very friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for providing us with your feedback about your recent stay at Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City! In 2014, we are striving to improve the overall dining experience for our guests and your comments will help us to do that.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Nebraska
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Check-in was late, room was dirty, saggy bed, old tube TV without HD, and "balcony" was a concrete slab on ground level. The water park was fun for the kids, but I should have stayed at a 4-star hotel and purchased day passes to a separate water park.

1 Thank UnSatisfiedCustomer0
Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City! Your comments are greatly appreciated and I will share your review with our team in Kansas City so we can work on making improvements before you return to stay with us again.

A majority of our suites feature the option of a private balcony or patio. In your case, it sounds like you had one of our patios which are on the same floor as the waterpark entrance. During the reservation process, you have the ability to request a room with a balcony on floors 2-4, which our Guest Services team will do their best to accommodate you with.

I hope this information helps you and that you will return to stay again soon.

Center, Missouri
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I do not recommend this place at all. The rooms, hallways, and swim areas were dirty and not maintained. The staff was rude and not accommodating. Oh did I mention rude and slow, very slow. I would not recommend this place at all.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
3 Thank Don H
Thank you for visiting Great Wolf Lodge – Kansas City and for sharing your feedback. It is our goal to make each guest feel comfortable and welcome during their stay. I sincerely apologize if you felt we missed the mark. I will share your opinions with our team in Kansas City for them to review and work on finding areas of improvement.