“Great Waterpark, Below Average Hotel”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The only way I agreed to stay here is because the hotel had a special rate of $159 plus a $30 resort credit. It is annoying that there are another $40 in taxes and fees, which they do not break down. I would not recommend paying anything higher, as you will definitely feel cheated. We checked-in on a Friday at 1:00. I would recommend getting there early, as there was no wait at the front desk and the waterpark was not very busy. The waterpark itself is very nice and even I liked the waterslides. The only negative is the overwhelming amount of chlorine in the waterpark.

Now the downside: the sub-par hotel. The rooms are very spacious and the decor is average, if not a little tired looking. The balconies are a big bonus. We had a defective blow drier and also called to request a crib. Both of those requests were quickly resolved. The worst part of the stay was when we found dried feces in the pack ‘n play. After calling to request a different one, over 30 minutes went by before we put the old one outside and went to bed. The next morning the new crib was outside, along with the old one. We set the new one up for nap time, only to discover that one side was broken and clearly a safety risk.

This place is okay for a one night stay, but we will not be back for a long time.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank born1980
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for staying at Great Wolf Lodge - Kansas City! It is our goal to provide family friendly fun for guests of all ages, and I am glad that we achieved that goal for your family.

We appreciate your feedback regarding the additional in-room amenities we provide. Pack 'n plays are meant to be a safe alternative to a crib, and I take the concerns you have very seriously. I will share this information with our team in Kansas City to see what can be improved before your next visit.

We hope that you will bring your pack back soon!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

AT KANSAS CITY GWL as I type - 22 guests, 5 rooms, $3000+ and ZERO hand towels even after repeated requests. I don't think they HAVE HAND TOWELS. Ask for wash cloths, ask for bar soap, reset door keys each morning. 100% Green Seal Certification is ONLY a marketing tool - our separated garbage and recyclables were put in the same black garbage bag. When I asked if they were resorted later, the housekeeper said NO, WE DON'T REALLY RECYCLE!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank kathyw460

On behalf of Great Wolf Lodge - Kansas City, I sincerely apologize for the experience that you had. This level of service does not meet with our expectations and we will be reviewing further so we can prevent this from happening in the future.

Through our Project Green Wolf initiative we are committed to being a leader in what we call "sustainable fun." With this objective in mind, it is imperative that all of our Pack members strive to achieve that goal. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope to see your family again soon!

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We spent New Year's Eve at the Great Wolf in Kansas City, KS. It was a wonderful party atmosphere. The lodge supplied champagne for the adults and sparkling juice for the kiddos. We were given party hats and noisemakers to add to the festivities. The highlight of the evening was the dance party and the midnight balloon drop! So much fun! We of course enjoyed the indoor waterpark and the kids played MagiQuest for hours. Another Great Wolf experience! One tip is to check in right at about 1pm and get your bracelet to swim. Our room happened to be ready so we got into our room at 2pm and were ready to go! The check in line gets very long right about 4pm. I wish Great Wolf would figure a way to speed up the check in process. I checked in online but it did not speed the process, just didn't need to run the credit card at the desk. Other than the line at check in, we had a Great Wolf time!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were there for the second year in a row for the New Year's Eve celebration they have. The party and activities are great for getting together with friends and family. There are plenty of things to keep the kids going until Midnight. The quality of the resort is not that great for the price, and the water park needs serious renovation (the walls are crumbling in the pool and the lazy river). We would still go back for the NYE party, but not for a standard overnight with the kids.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank BTate1112
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We returned back to this hotel after two years because my daughters wanted to spend their birthday there. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. The check in took forever just find our room was not ready until four hours later!!! There is nothing like the noise that comes from the ceilings. There is no insulation. You have never stayed at a hotel with this noise level in your life. Do not bring anyone who intends to sleep. They do have what they call "quiet rooms" on third floor but they have the nerve to charge you extra to stay up there. The rooms are motel quality at best. Do not come here expecting luxury, or even anything nice as we did the first time. You pay almost $600 dollars and get a $50 dollar room. Seriously, Holiday inn has better rooms. The food is horrible. If you stay here, make sure you eat somewhere else. The only thing you can say is good about this place is the waterpark. The kids do love it. The adults do not. I really wish they would put in an area for adults. I also want to point out that if you look at the complaints on this website you will see that the staff replies with the same sorry response to them all. You could atleast respond to us with a genuine apology.

Room Tip: Stay on third floor if you want it to be more quiet. You do have to pay extra for that luxury!?!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank mckapke

Thank you for returning to Great Wolf Lodge - Kansas City! I am happy that your girls were able to enjoy the waterpark. However, I am very sorry that this visit did not meet with your expectations. We take the feedback of our guests very seriously and are always looking for ways that we can improve our processes. With this in mind, I will share everything you have said and we will review it internally to find areas we can progress before your next visit.

When making a reservation, you do have the ability to request to be on a certain floor. While this is not guaranteed, if granted, you would not have to pay anything additional for it.

We are in the process of doing an overhaul on our Food & Beverage department and is a huge focus for us in the new year. Hopefully, you will see the changes we made when you stay with us next.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Before going I checked the reviews on here. I saw a mix of positive and negatives. Mainly people complaining about the bed and the long lines and the food and I only hoped my experience wasn't like that. Okay so it was my wife and I, plus our two kids. One being six the other two almost three. After doing all my research on the GWL website it said we could arrive at 1 PM and check in, but our room might not be available until 4 Pm, but we could still swim. I was fine with this and arrived at the resort around 1 Pm with a plethora of other parents trying to give their kids a great experience. The check-in line was short. I had maybe five people in front of me, but it was a long wait. Maybe about a twenty to thirty minute wait. They only had two staff members working and as more people came in a third staff member arrived. I heard a lot of murmuring from other parents. One who had been to GWL previously and arrived around 4 PM and said the line was out the door. During my check in I found out our room was available and given all required items needed. I ordered the splash and play package so the kids got goggles and towels and other things that they would like. Our room was on the first floor near the end so not too close to the water park and I imagined to find a parking spot near our room. The room was great and the kids loved having a little 'kid's camp area' to themselves. They had a nice flat screen the wife and I had a old school TV. Really old box style tv, but nonetheless we didn't plan to be in the room long. the water park wreaked of chlorine and burned my wife's eyes. She was fine, but I could tell she didn't like it. The rides were great and the kids were happy. Some really long waits for the three big slides, but that's okay we expected that. We had dinner at the water park snack shop since we had a coupon. The food was pre-cooked and sitting underneath little warmers. So it was hot, but it wasn't all that good, but it was essentially free since I paid it in the package. We took the kids to the clock tower show and they had a blast and enjoyed meeting one of the characters. Afterwards we took to them too the arcade and they had a blast until it was bedtime. I checked out the sweet treats cafe and got these two giant cookies. They were great!! The thing noted the most after 10 PM seems like most younger kids are asleep and tweens are up and out roaming the resort. Another big complaint read on here was the bed. Well my wife and I enjoyed our bed we had no complaints. Also saw complaints about breakfast and have to say it was good and have no complains and check out was a breeze. Things to pay attention to, if you're in the kids camp or any room where your kids are sleeping in a twin bed check the sheets. The kids on our kids bed weren't fitted adn that bothered us a bit. Be sure to arrive around 1 pm. Don't wait till check in time. IF you're rooms not available you can still go to the water park. Alot of people are complaining about non-existent things. Do your research on the website and than go!

Room Tip: First floor is best. Keeps you away from elevators and closer to the water park.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I was so excited to come and surprise my boys but since arrival it has been disappointment after disappointment. Room smells like feet, no towels (asked twice before we got any and still didn't get washcloth or hand towels we askedfor) , cold shower, hard beds...I'm hoping the water park does justice for this place tomorrow cause right now I wanna cry!

• Stayed: January 2014
GWL_Management, Guest Relations Manager at Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

I am very sorry to hear that your visit to Great Wolf Lodge - Kansas City had a rough start! Please know that this does not meet our expectations and your feedback will be discussed internally. I hope that your family enjoys the waterpark. I look forward to seeing what you have to say about the waterpark and the rest of your stay!

Thank you for choosing Great Wolf Lodge.