“Water park fun, the rest is "ehhh"”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Water park fun, the rest is "ehhh"”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We recently had a fun road-trip, family weekend with a 2-night stay at the Great Wolf being the highlight of the trip.
We have 3 kids and stayed in a kid cabin suite--so all the kids could stay together. The themeing is fun, but for the price we paid I wish more had been included.

Mini Golf is an additional fee, all meals are an additional fee. Magic quest games were $30 (or so we were told) and their is an upcharge for any of the crafts in the Cub club.

The room was a great size, but the walls are thin. It sounded like a herd of elephants were in the room above us. The bed was "well worn" and hurt my back.

That being said, the water park was super fun and my kids enjoyed the freedom that we gave them (husband included in the "kid" category").

I don't think we will stay here again or any Great Wolf Lodge really. I don't think it was worth the price, even with the water park included. But I am glad we stayed and gave our kids this experience.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I purchased a Kids Cabin with a Zulily deal. It was a bargain for $199 and a $30 food voucher. The place is in general, a bit overpriced but the kids loved it. I took my four year old and nine year old and both had a blast. The beds in the main room were very comfortable, the bunk beds in the cabin were so so. The room was large and spotless. The only negatives I have are that when people are running around upstairs, it sounds like a herd of elephants, so bring ear plugs. The other negative is that the food is not good so I would go to one of the many other restaurants nearby for meals. The lifeguards were excellent.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here only because I won the accommodations for 3 nights. We did not use the water park. The amount for three nights was over $500.00. For that you would think you would at least have new mattresses!! the beds were uncomfortable. They really need to refurbish this place. Every time we went back to our room, you could smell a stale odor. And unless you have money to burn, DON'T order drinks at the bar here. They are quite expensive.. I would not ever pay to stay here, but that's just me. All the kids looked like they were having a ball...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wanda B
Hermann, Missouri
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Overall the Lodge is a great place for a family friendly vacation. The water park is excellent and all the kids had a great time. I love the safety standards that are in place and the constant watching by lifeguards. There are several activities planned outside of the water park which the kids enjoyed. The only downside here was the train ride to get pumpkins...they didn't have any pumpkins. Other than that minor set back the kids had plenty to do and enjoyed every minute.
From a parents perspective things were not as bad as I had imagined. As I stated, the water park was fun for all ages and several security measures are in place to make one feel comfortable even if you can't see your child.The planned activities were fun for the kids so there is no room for complaint there.
The biggest complaint came on our last day. Check out is at 11a.m. We went to the water park after breakfast and returned to our room at 10 to change clothes and check out. However, upon arrival we found housekeeping had already cleaned our room. She was still in the hall so when I asked about our beverages from the refrigerator she produced them from where she had hidden them on her cart (a nearly full 6 pack). I went to a friends room and called the front desk and was told they would call me right back after speaking with housekeeping manager...they never did.
We will stay here again, but this last bit leaves a bad taste.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room called Wolf Den. It has a double bed and bunk beds. The bunk beds are in a faux...
1 Thank Rdrinabr
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed October 15, 2013

While I will agree with some of the current reviews and say that the resort could use some updating; especially in the guest rooms, I would not trade my mini vacation at the Great Wolf Lodge! While my Husband and I like to travel and look to newer resorts, this time we were taking our three year old son with us and it was a trip for him. We actually cancelled our reserved room at a Sheraton in KC, an opted for the Great Wolf Lodge instead and am very glad we did. While the room could have been a bit cleaner, and use some updating, we didn't spend hardly any time other than to sleep in the room so it wasn't a big deal for us at all. The bed wasn't great, but wasn't horrible like I expected. The waterpark was amazing. My son had an absolute blast spending the afternoon and evening going down the waterslides and playing with Mom and Dad in the fort area. The next morning the first words out of his mouth were, "Can we go swimming???".

Room - We had a "Kids Cabin" and enjoyed the roominess, but needed updating and a bit better cleaning as we found things like raisens in the middle of the floor. The walls are a bit thin and had to call the front desk as it sounded like a stamped of hippos above us at 11:30 PM. but the bed was OK, the fridge was convienent for a nursing Mom, and the kiddo enjoyed sleeping on the top bunk.

Resort - The staff there were all pretty amazing and helpful. The lifeguards were very attentive and eased my Mommy fears having a child that is not a swimmer yet. Also, the live jackets provided were great, no need to bring your own. They will nickle and dime you as it is geared towards kids (think blinking toys for sale in the lobby), but the fact that all of your fun is contained in a resort it helps with costs associated with leaving the resort.

Overall, we were very happy. There were a few things we would change, but we plan to make this a yearly family tradition from now on.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the lobby.
1 Thank Michelle F
Waukee, Iowa, USA
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Was a decent place, but expected it to be bigger for what you pay for. Wasn't too busy for a holiday weekend, and the slides/activities were perfect for the kids ages (9 and 11). The room had a musty smell though, and the prices are high for extra activities. I would probably save the money and go to a local hotel with a smaller waterpark next time.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Lees Summit, Missouri, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We went to Great Wolf Lodge with high expectations on September 28th considering another friend raved about this facility. Unfortunately our experience wasn't the same as hers and we were not at all impressed. While we were able to upgrade to a suite for only $30 upon arrival the room itself had some misgivings. The fireplace didn't work, there were stains on the carpet, and the mini fridge in the room was not level. Normally I understand things like this happen and can accept that, but when I'm paying over $300 for one night it irks me a bit. Additionally the water in the pool, the hot tub, as well as the waterslides was extremely cold considering they're supposed to be heated. If I had to guess, the water in the pool was probably 80° which sounds warm but when the kids lips start turning blue it makes me wonder. The water in the hot tub was probably around 90° and just moderately warm. The arcade was really nice and the kids did have fun there. When we ordered food we were again let down. It took nearly an hour to get an order of two pizzas a sandwich and fettuccine Alfredo. The pizzas were good and the kids enjoyed them. The Philly cheesesteak sandwich was a joke; it was made with cheese whiz which I understand is what is normally used on those sandwiches, however it did not have onions peppers or mushrooms as advertised in the menu. The large fettuccine Alfredo had maybe a tablespoon of Alfredo sauce and it was pathetic at best. Unfortunately the restaurant was horribly understaffed and you could tell from the way the waitstaff was running around. This probably also explains the terrible condition of the food that we received. While we were waiting in line to find out the status of our food we also spoke to another guest, who apparently frequents this place often and he had been waiting for nearly 2 hours for his pizzas. We asked him if the food delays and be extremely cold water was normal, and he said it was extremely unusual. The way the restaurant was ran and the terrible delay with the delivery of our food just shows how poorly managed the restaurant was.

Don't get me wrong, I understand things can't go great all the time, and this isn't a five star resort. I also understand that the rooms are going to have stains on the carpet etc. considering this place caters to families especially kids, and I can handle that. But the way they had the restaurant understaffed on a Saturday evening, the delays with the food and fact that the water was so cold that our kids wanted to watch TV in the room, has insured that we will not return here.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family