“Great place for kids!”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was our second trip to Great Wolf Lodge and our family really enjoys this place! We have 4 kids ranging from 2 to 17 and they all had a blast! We arrived on Sunday and swam a bit at the water park after dinner. Monday we were out and about all day, but spent all of Tuesday at the indoor water park, which for my family of fish was awesome! There's plenty to do to keep kids entertained for hours. Our 2 year old even went down all the slides (except the green and blue)!

We stayed in a standard queen room with 2 of our kids and the other two stayed with Grandpa and Nana across the hall. I love that the hotel has "Hibernation Hours" between 11pm and 7am. We found that it was very quiet during the night and didn't have to worry about lots of noise to wake the kids (or us) in the middle of the night. The only thing I would say is that our 2 year old was in our room with us and of course wasn't the neatest person ever when it came to crumbs. My only complaint would be that each day as maid service came, they didn't vacuum too well, but otherwise, everything seemed clean and tidy.

The location is great! The Legends area has TONS of stuff to do and fun restaurants.

This will definitely not be our last trip to this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the outdoor pool area or the Speedway tend to be better in regards to the view.
3  Thank Jill L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,491)

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We had to move rooms upon checking in as 1st room was nasty..won't elaborate. Hallway carpet looks like it hasnt been cleaned in years. Medival dungens and dragons game is ridiculous as well. . Equipment doesnt work. Wont be back !

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Doug E
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Water park was fun, Most staff were pleasant. Noise Unbelievable!
My wife, my two kids 4 and 6 and myself made a quick last minute stop at GWL to see what it was like. At first impression we were pleased.
First the good-
The check in was fast. The counter staff was friendly and our room was clean.
Water park passes are included in price. This is worth about $100 bucks for me locally for family of 4.
We all really enjoyed the water park. Slides were quick and the place wasn’t over full. I asked a front desk person upon checkout how full it was and she said about 80% if that is true 100% usage still shouldn’t be an issue.
90% of the staff was very friendly including life guards, front desk at checkin and when I called with noise complaints. Manager on duty Nick was pleasant to work with over noise issues after I went to front desk at 10:15pm .

Beds weren't great but not bad. A bit to firm pillows were normal for a hotel.

The Bad –
The picture on the website of our room online for the Wolf Den Suit was inaccurate. It shows the bed close to the kids wolf den. The wolf den is a small bunk bed with a plastic tree around it, nothing special but the kids liked it. The queen bed was instead next to the wall with the a/c unit. It literally froze us out to try and keep the kids cool on the other side of the room.
Also in the bathroom it was hard to see because of the low wattage halogen bulbs used in the two lights. Also it took them a long time to turn on to see at all then to warm up.
The bath room is tiny.
The last bad thing was the annoying light cover next to the door that rattled continually whenever someone walked by or slammed their door- which is covered in the Ugly below.
A few of the staff were rude an inattentive a couple life guards and general workers.

The UGLY –
The biggest issue noise, Noise and NOISE. While I understand quite time is 11pm to 7am. This is a family resort so people with young children have them in bed for 11pm. We were on the 1st floor, I highly recommend against that. We had a terrible family above us jumping and running. We called front desk and they said they would handle it. An hour later at almost 10 pm I hear a Diesel moving truck unloading tables and chairs outside our balcony window. This goes on for at least 20 minutes with workings whooping and hollering the whole time. At that point I went to front desk and spoke to manager. Noise finally subsided around 11:30pm.

Also there was an ancient 27in tube TV in the suite that was broken and stuck on the front input. After inspecting it someone had damaged the inputs I could wiggle them and get tv to work till it was turned off again.
Also as for noise the door closers slam every single door and it shakes the walls in your rooms. After looking the way the lock mechanism was on the room there was no way to close it quietly from outside you had to slam it to get it past locks. If you opened latch from inside you could close it.

Overall summary-
I am really torn on what to rate this property. Staff overall were pleasant. The site was clean everywhere we went. Our room was clean but need some attention as listed above. The noise with kids running through halls and doors slamming was unpleasant to say the least. The issue with the Diesel truck outside my window was unacceptable in my opinion at 10pm. I don’t want to rate the site to low because of the positives and how the issues were handled. I really think it’s a 2.5 overall because water park was great and in great shape. The noise issues and maintenance issues for our room thought really took away from stay considering the premium price. Don’t forget though you have to calculate cost for basically 2 days of water park passes. That is $90 for our closest to our home. Overall I am willing to give them a try again and probably will try a different location next time. I will make sure I am not on 1st floor again though.

Room Tip: Stay off 1st floor go as high as possible.
3  Thank Blake H
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This is our 4th stay at this Great Wolf Lodge. We have had great stays every time. Our kids love the themed rooms and the waterpark. The inside of our suite was very clean--I'll get to the outside in a minute--and we had a blast with all the activities they have to offer. Our 9-year-old and 7-year-old discovered MagiQuest this year and loved it!

One issue we had was that there was a bird's nest above our balcony, and after our first night, there were two baby birds close to death on our balcony. We called the front desk, and they took care of it, but they left the nest. Two days later, we had another dead baby bird on our balcony. It was so sad! I'm not sure what the hotel can do about this, but it was upsetting.

I also recommend making sure your kids know how to ride the slides safely. We had an incident on our last trip when a lifeguard let my child go down a slide improperly, and he was slightly hurt. This trip, I had to stop a lifeguard from letting him go down the same way again (sitting up on the inner tube rather than with his bottom in it). My older child somehow got turned backwards in his inner tube going down a slide. No one was injured, but it told me that you can't trust the lifeguards to ensure your kids are safe, although they seem very attentive there.

Overall, it was a wonderful stay. Our kids love Great Wolf Lodge even more than Disney World. We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marissa H
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and helpful, but didn't always know the answer to our questions and that's okay. I'd take friendly and unsure over snotty and know-it-all any day. Our room was a bit pricy, but what can you expect with the waterpark that they have to offer?! Even my toddler had fun and he could barely use most of their water features. My favorite is that they had life jackets there for everyone, so we didn't have to pack our bulky one from home. They're located right off the interstate, which was very convenient. My only complaint is that our room smelled a bit like the plumbing was bad. We had a blast!!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here as part of a long road trip. Great Wolf was meant to break up a 20+ hour stretch. We arrived on a Wednesday around 2pm and were able to check into our room early. The park itself was not really as crowded as an indoor water park can be and we had a great time. The water tube rides are pretty calm, even for my very low thrill seeking daughter. My other daughter wanted more craziness. This location is ideal for younger children (under 9 maybe). There is no wave pool or vortex water ride. The rooms had the kitschy look that one comes to expect from GW, but it was clean. The onsite sit down restaurant was actually pretty reasonable and the menu was slightly more varied than one would expect. There are many dining options near the Lodge, but who wants to leave the watery fun???

Room Tip: I would not choose a room on the first floor, as the sliding doors open to an unenclosed patio.
1  Thank julie p
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We make this trip every summer as the kids have always loved GWL. This year was a little more disappointing then years past, mostly due to customer service.

Room: was clean and as expected. We've stayed in the Majestic Bear Suite 3 out of our 4 years here. With 4 kids, its the perfect size. If this room wasn't available, we wouldn't go to GW.

Housekeeping: one morning they knocked and asked if they could clean. I said we were leaving in 15 minutes and it was all there's after that. The housekeeper looked annoyed :/. That same day they did not replace any of our towels so we had to call to get some. Both days trash was left on the counter top as well. PRO: Love how they tuck the kids animals in the beds :).

Food: the food was actually better then years past, we've never loved the food but eat their for convienence. Only complaint was the breakfast buffet, food was dry and/or hard. We just got cereal from the snack shop the next 2 days.

Waterpark: always a favorite, lifeguards are diligent and helpful, park was clean. It was too cold to use outdoor pool and that did take away from our experience, obviously not the hotels fault though.

Area: love Legends! Always a highlight of our trip. Good shopping, great restaurant choices. Highly recommend venturing over there.

Gym: for a resort this size they really should consider improving/expanding the gym. It was crowded and not functional with more then 3 people.

Customer Service: ugh, here's why this years review only gets 3 stars. It's not good. Staff seems distant and stressed out. The snack shop staff all seem like high school kids who would rather chat amongst themselves then help patrons, and when they are helping them, they are SLOW. The restaurant staff were not great either. It took 15 min to get drinks all 3 times we ate there. Cub Club, the girl was plain overwhelmed. There shouldve been 2 staff in there when they first open, I felt bad for her. Just disappointing honestly because we love this place and want to continue to come back. When paying $300+ a night, we expect decent service. Highlights were lifeguards, gift shop staff, and arcade staff-all were friendly and very helpful. Even a few maintenance men went out of their way to say good morning or hello-that's what I like to see!

Overall this trip was fun for the kids and we made great memories. I hope they work on their service, this is something that's easily fixable and will keep people coming back.

1  Thank TACHance