“Not the most exciting Great Wolf”

Great Wolf Lodge Kansas City
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed here as part of a long road trip. Great Wolf was meant to break up a 20+ hour stretch. We arrived on a Wednesday around 2pm and were able to check into our room early. The park itself was not really as crowded as an indoor water park can be and we had a great time. The water tube rides are pretty calm, even for my very low thrill seeking daughter. My other daughter wanted more craziness. This location is ideal for younger children (under 9 maybe). There is no wave pool or vortex water ride. The rooms had the kitschy look that one comes to expect from GW, but it was clean. The onsite sit down restaurant was actually pretty reasonable and the menu was slightly more varied than one would expect. There are many dining options near the Lodge, but who wants to leave the watery fun???

Room Tip: I would not choose a room on the first floor, as the sliding doors open to an unenclosed patio.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank julie p

Reviewed June 4, 2013

We make this trip every summer as the kids have always loved GWL. This year was a little more disappointing then years past, mostly due to customer service.

Room: was clean and as expected. We've stayed in the Majestic Bear Suite 3 out of our 4 years here. With 4 kids, its the perfect size. If this room wasn't available, we wouldn't go to GW.

Housekeeping: one morning they knocked and asked if they could clean. I said we were leaving in 15 minutes and it was all there's after that. The housekeeper looked annoyed :/. That same day they did not replace any of our towels so we had to call to get some. Both days trash was left on the counter top as well. PRO: Love how they tuck the kids animals in the beds :).

Food: the food was actually better then years past, we've never loved the food but eat their for convienence. Only complaint was the breakfast buffet, food was dry and/or hard. We just got cereal from the snack shop the next 2 days.

Waterpark: always a favorite, lifeguards are diligent and helpful, park was clean. It was too cold to use outdoor pool and that did take away from our experience, obviously not the hotels fault though.

Area: love Legends! Always a highlight of our trip. Good shopping, great restaurant choices. Highly recommend venturing over there.

Gym: for a resort this size they really should consider improving/expanding the gym. It was crowded and not functional with more then 3 people.

Customer Service: ugh, here's why this years review only gets 3 stars. It's not good. Staff seems distant and stressed out. The snack shop staff all seem like high school kids who would rather chat amongst themselves then help patrons, and when they are helping them, they are SLOW. The restaurant staff were not great either. It took 15 min to get drinks all 3 times we ate there. Cub Club, the girl was plain overwhelmed. There shouldve been 2 staff in there when they first open, I felt bad for her. Just disappointing honestly because we love this place and want to continue to come back. When paying $300+ a night, we expect decent service. Highlights were lifeguards, gift shop staff, and arcade staff-all were friendly and very helpful. Even a few maintenance men went out of their way to say good morning or hello-that's what I like to see!

Overall this trip was fun for the kids and we made great memories. I hope they work on their service, this is something that's easily fixable and will keep people coming back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TACHance
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We just returned from a weekend at the Kansas City GWL (May 30-June1) and had a ton of fun. I read tons a reviews before I went so wasn't sure what to expect based on the mixed opinions. I found that most of the negative ones must be either outdated or they just had a particularly bad experience.

We reserved a family suite (rm 240) and I checked in online. When we arrived around 3:00 to the hotel, our room was already ready. Or room was right off the main lobby and near the steps to go down to the water park, so very conveniently located. The room was clean and comfortable. The beds sagged a little in the middle, but nothing that was too uncomfortable. Our room also had a flat screen TV. The refrigerator and microwave were handy additions. Its was generally just a normal hotel room (which was all I needed considering we only slept there) so I have no complaints.

The rest of the hotel was clean. I did notice in the hallways that some of the carpet was buckled, but that was the only thing. Every employee we came across was friendly and greeted us.

We did all the activities: water park, magiquest, creation station, glitter tattoos, story time, arcade, and cub club. The extra activities could definitely get expensive but we had a paw pass that saved some money. I'll give my opinion of each:

Water park: Of course this is the main attraction and where we spent a lot of time. It is warm and humid inside so we were all comfortable walking around in wet swimsuits. My 3 and 5 year olds could ride all but one of the rides. There were even 2 big slides they could ride with a parent. I was pleasantly surprised at this since I expected that we would be relegated to a kiddie area. We used the life jackets provided by the park and never had a problem getting one. The lifeguards were pretty good and vigilant but not as excellent as I had expected based on the reviews. So if you have little children I would obviously keep a pretty close eye on them. We did rent a locker the second day which cost $10 to rent plus a $10 deposit which you got back if you returned the key 30 mins before closing. I found this to be pretty expensive for a locker so we only did the for the full day we were there.

MagiQuest: I thought we were going to get by without having to do this since my kids are so little (3 and 5), but when they saw the other kids opening the treasure chest, they wanted to do it too. I got one wand and one game to share for approx $32. Sharing did not go over that well, so if we go back I'll be buying another wand and game. The 3 year old just liked opening the chests, he had no interest in the game. The 5 year old and I played (part of) the game. She had fun, but I had to help direct her to the right places. The downside was that it was crowded in the magiquest areas and since a lot of the kids playing did not have parental supervision, they could be kind of rude and jump in front of you. I just had to be aggressive with some of them and tell them it was our turn.

Creation Station: This is the lodge's version of build-a-bear. Each of my kids got to select an animal to make. Unlike build-a-bear the only thing they really get to do is stand on the pedal to pump the stuffing into the bear. My kids still liked it, but if we didn't have the paw pass we would not have done it.

Glitter Tattoos: this is in the same area as the creation station and basically the kids got a tattoo filled in with glitter. I will say the kids were very proud of their tattoos and are still wearing them. The tattoos are supposed to be waterproof and last for up to 7 days. So far they are holding up. If we were to go back, I'm sure we'd have to do this again since they kids liked it so much. I think the cost was $6.99 but again, we it was included with our paw pass.

Story time: The first night there we thought we'd check out the clock tower show and story time. We watched the clock tower show which was pretty boring. The animals didn't really move and it was hard to hear what they were saying. Next of the of the employees came out and read a story to the group of kids. Her microphone wasn't working so it was hard to hear. Afterwards the kids marched around the lobby with one of the characters and afterwards got to hug and get pictures made with the character. The kids liked this part.

Arcade: Your standard ChuckECheese style arcade. We loaded some arcade cards with our points from the paw passes and then added some extra money. We played until we used all our money up. My husband and I probably had more fun doing this then the kids, but we all enjoyed it.

Cub Club: This is the arts and crafts room. With our paw pass we got to select something to paint. My daughter choose a butterfly magnet and my son choose a cupcake piggy bank. They enjoyed painting, but I thought the worker was overly concerned about them making a mess (which was weird in a kids craft room?). Looking at the prices, we probably wouldn't have done this except for with the paw pass.

We ate most of our meals off property at the legends mall just down the road. There were tons of restaurants there to choose from so I recommend going down there. We ate at T-Rex cafe, Granite City Brewery, Outback, Bob Evans, and Five Guys Burgers. We did try breakfast at the hotel the last day and were not really pleased. We go the breakfast buffet, but the food wasn't really that good. My husband did enjoy his omelet and the bacon and waffle I had were good, but otherwise the food was mediocre.

Overall, we all had fun and the kids are already asking when we can go back. I can definitely see another trip to the KS GWL in our future!

1  Thank Melissa G
Reviewed May 29, 2013

the atmosphere was great, not too crowded and the lines for the slides were streamlined pretty well so didn't have to wait long to slide. we did however have a loose tile in our bathroom. management said they were going to fix it but never did. a maintenance guy knocked on our door early the next morning attempting to go fix it which woke us up. but manage comp'd us 2 daypasses and discounted the room along with late checkout. staff was friendly and apologetic.

2  Thank Baopham316
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Check-in time isn't until 4PM...however, your room may not be ready until even later. Our room wasn't ready until after 6PM (their reason was because it was really busy the day before and the cleaning crew had to "make it perfect"). We took our luggage into the waterpark to wait it out. We stayed until the park closed to try to get our money's worth. We finally made it to our room around 11PM only to find they didn't have any hair conditioner in the entire resort (in a waterpark!). It took a trip to the store before finally being able to relax in our room about 11:45PM. All this for the low price of $215 per night! Will not stay here again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are very comfy and provide exactly what you need for your stay. We had 2 adults and 2 nine year olds. Our room had 2 queens and a foldout couch with a divider and of course a bathroom with tub an shower. Sliding glass door to a small patio that u can sit on. Only drawback would be that we were on the main floor and could hear every step anyone above us made- very noisy. Other than that an excellent stay!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed there for my daughter's birthday. The staff was very nice and helpful. The room was nice. The refrigerator and microwave were very handy. Overall the property was in very good condition. The only issue we had was the onsite restaurant. The food was just ok. This property is located in a sports / entertainment area and there are many eating choices, in all price ranges, that you can choose from. I agree with most of the other reviewers in that the "extras" can run your bill up quickly. The water park itself was nice. We were surprised that they had an outdoor pool, which was nice. This would be the perfect place to come to in January - March for a quick break from winter. Your best value would be to stay on Sunday night and take Monday off.