“Great Time for Kids”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
shawnee, ks
“Great Time for Kids”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is our third stay at Great Wolf Lodge. I think what makes this place so great is the Magic Quest. I like the indoor water park, but I am more of an outdoor/sunshine pool person. We stayed on 12/30 and checked out on 12/31. As busy as they were, the staff worked very hard at communicating and making the stay as good as it can be.

I'll start with the good: The Magic Quest. This is the best kid experience I have ever had in any hotel setting. It is VERY well done. It involves hunting and seeking special items, with your child waving a wand that causes items to open and light up and speak to you, rewarding them with accolades and music, or revealing clues to find coveted objects along their journey. Magic Quest requires a lot of walking (running by many children...haha) and be prepared to burn some calories. This is good thing to me, I love the activity and kids staying healthy and active. But do set aside quite a bit of time for it. You can spend 4-12 hours on this during your stay. It all depends how many children and how many levels you want to complete. I would say the best ages for magic quest are ages 5-14. Honestly, I enjoyed it as an adult.

The room we chose is the Kids Cabin, we stayed on the same floor as the water park. We loved the room, althought not a huge room, the kids absolutely LOVED the kids cabin, it has a little TV, but NO DVD. I wish it would have a DVD for the TV in the kids cabin area. We didnt hang out in the room much, but I would have put a movie on at bedtime for the kids.I like the fact that the Kids cabin has its own space with a partitioned room for the kids, as I am a light sleeper and I enjoyed having my own bed! There was a neat faux fireplace in this main room. The room was clean. The microwave worked well, up high away from kids reach, which is good. The frig was fine, small as all hotel frig's are. My Queen size mattress was soft, very comfortable, I slept great! The kids bunk beds I thought the mattress was too thin and could be a little softer, but the kids are lightweight and don't need much support; they were happy.

The water park you can use starting at 1:00 PM the day of check in, so that nice. I would like to say.... don't waste your money for a room on the same floor of the waterpark! The extra 22.00 was not worth it. You've got long halls to travel through, and the chlorine smell was not appealing to me. I do think that the 22.00 we paid for a late checkout was worth it, however! The late check out time was 2:00. That was so nice. You can hang out in the waterpark or play Magic Quest, the day that you check out, until 9:00 PM.

Another good thing was the staff. They seemed to have a higher quality staff this time. This time, I noticed, staff members greeting us and appearing concerned with anything we asked about. The staff was noticably excellent this stay. They even had a housekeeper return a lost stuffed animal we left behind, and after I reported it missing, they called within 12 hours to say that a housekeeping had turned it in (thank you, whoever you were, you made a child very happy!) Not only that, I had carelessly left a sack of items sitting outside next to my car, and a very nice person had brought it inside and turned it in: and the staff had it tucked behind the counter when I asked. It had some pricey items in it, including electronics, and the Great Wolf Lodge people kept it safe. And some other individual brought it inside. I'm normally not so careless with items, but I was travelling on my own with 2 kids, and my focus was the kids, so I am grateful that the Great Wolf lodge staff could be so reliable and trustworthy.

Now, the negatives: Not enough seating in the waterpark, people walk around circling the areas, searching for a table or chairs. 2/3 times I have stayed here: no seating or tables available. Which is not horrible, except if you want to sit and read, its hard to do while sitting on a floor on a towel. Also, way too much chlorine. I thought my lungs were going to choke on the chlorine smell. Also, the water temperature was too cold. By the way, the chlorine smell and water temp are variable. Meaning, that on 2 previous stays at this lodge, I had found the water temp to be warmer and the chlorine smell to be minimal. This past time, I can clearly say: Great Wolf Lodge, you need warmer water and better ventilation. But the kids were happy, so you just tough out the little stuff, and enjoy seeing them have so much fun.

Overall, very happy with Great Wolf Lodge, it is a LOT of fun for kids, and the kids cried when we left, begging to stay longer. We will be going back again for more fun.

Room Tip: Rooms on waterpark floor level not really worth the extra bucks.
1 Thank dc_kc11

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed two nights in a suite over New Years. We were there 7 years ago and the facility is showing it's age. It needs to be renovated. The waterpark is is fun for all ages. The waterslides are not extremely exciting. The lazy river is small. They need to consider a slide in the treehouse for kids from 4-5 years old that doesn't have such deep water at the end and a little smaller. There is not enough sitting areas for families in the waterpark . They require people to pay for a locker in the waterpark even though we paid $500 per night for a room. This causes issues because people lay their stuff on a table, but never return to it until leaving not allowing others to sit and watch their kids in the small kid area. The first night we were in bed for 40 minutes and got a phone call from the front desk informing us that there was a noise complaint. This then woke my kids up for another hour after I explained to the lady that we were asleep and that I was in fact the adult in the room. The shower had mold all along the tub edge and the group we were with said that their shower had the same thing. The beds are uncomfortable and outdated. The restaraunt food is expensive, but is satisfying. It is located by fun attractions. The kids loved to swim and the lifeguards were very helpful. The extras that the resort offers can get pricey with multiple kids. The New Years Eve party was exciting for the kids. They had crafts, movies, pictures etc. The balloon drop in the main lobby was a mosh pit and was a bit frightening with drinking adults and shoulder to shoulder people. They need to figure out how to make that safer especially for kids. If the price for a room was $100-180 then it is worth the stay, but I will not pay more than that to stay at this facility again.

1 Thank Amanda M
Sedgwick, Kansas
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Spent 2 nights at the Great Wolf Lodge in Kansas City this past weekend. We stayed in the Family Suite which was more than suitable sleeping arrangements for our family of 5 (kids 8, 6 & 3). Staying at the GWL is not cheap & there are money pits around every corner including the MagicQuest, Arcade & souveniers. However, if you do it correctly, your family will have the time of your lives. I suggest you bring your own food as there is a microwave & fridge. We ate at the hotel restaurant 2 nights. Although 1 child eats free with each adult entree, you will still spend $40-$60 for a meal. If your budget is limited & you want to get the most for your money, book a 1 night stay. Although check in is not until 4:00, you can enter the waterpark as soon as 1:00 on the day of your check in. Our room was ready at 1:00 so we just checked in then & went straight to waterpark. Check out is 11:00 the next morning, however your waterpark passes are good until 9:00 p.m. the day of checkout. Load the car, checkout & bring 1 small bag containing "driving home" clothes & get a locker. Then you can play at the waterpark until they close the day of checkout. Either drive home in the dark or just book a cheap motel/hotel that night to sleep & go home the next day.

2 Thank Jerrod G
Palmyra, Missouri, United States
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Nice enough place but definitely nothing special. The location was nice in relation to shopping and restaurants. Service and staff were good but nothing outstanding. Facility is showing some age and wear and tear. Appeared clean though. I think it is way overpriced.

• Stayed December 2012
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed December 30, 2012

If you leave something in your room of any value, don't expect honesty on Great Wolf Lodges' part. Our fault for leaving the tablet in plain sight on the coffee table but their fault for hiring thieves and not being more thourough in investigating! We reported it right away...only to be told BY BRANDON, HEAD OF HOUSEKEEPING, it simply "wasn't t here". Somebody clearly thinks they deserve our nook tablet more than we do...so thief...by all means...ENJOY! Esp our daughters' self recoreded stories and artwork on there wich are priceless in OUR HEARTS! It's a spendy OK place to stay, however...WE WON'T BE BACK!

2 Thank Karisa E
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you leave something in your room of any value don't expect honesty on Great Wolfe Lodges' part. Our fault for leaving the tablet in plain sight on the coffee table but their fault for hiring thieves and not being more thourough in investigating! We reported it right away... only to be told BY BRANDON, HEAD OF HOUSEKEEPING, it simply wasn't there. Somebody clearly thinks they deserve our nook tablet more than we do...so theif...by all mean...enjoy! Esp our daughters self recorded stories and artwork on there wich are priceless in OUR HEARTS! Its a spendy OK place to stay....however...we WON'T BE BACK!

2 Thank Karisa E
St. Louis
Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Our 3 kids (12, 9, & 6) absolutely loved the Great Wolf Lodge's water park. We spent just one night which allowed us water park access from 1 pm on the day we checked in until it closed at 9 pm on the day we checked out. That was the perfect length of stay in the winter. We stayed in a standard family room with 2 queen beds plus a sofa bed. The room was plenty spacious but the bathroom was tiny. The shower pressure wasn't very good, the shower curtain wouldn't stayed tucked into the tub, and the shower switch had some issues. My younger two enjoyed storytime (especially when it snowed in the lobby) and the wolf walk. The food in the waterpark was pretty mediocre, but we found lots of great options at Legends mall across the street.

• Stayed December 2012