“could be better”

Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Ames, Iowa
“could be better”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Staff was ok but not great. Parking area not clear of ice and fell and hurt hip, still hurts next day but should heal, glad im not old. Room and bathroom are a bit small, wallpaper peeling and paint on door frame has tons of peels still has old tube style tv, internet drops often. breakfast really bad, buffet with quality of a free breakfast, had voucher for being hilton gold, service at breakfast was bad, no menu, just pointed to buffet, this is not the case at other hilton gardens. I wouldn't stay here again, might only because the price was low.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank chuck29355
HGI-KCK, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kansas City, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This is just an average HGI. It is in a bad location though. I wouldn't go out at night within walking distance.
If you are a business traveler, please be aware that the wireless internet is extremely slow and drops frequently.
One plus is that there always seemed to be a friendly face at the front desk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
HGI-KCK, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Kansas City, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you so much for your feedback and we're sorry you had trouble with the internet connection.We are addressing this issue and hope the next time you're in the area you will stay with us and see an improvement.
Lake Ridge, Virginia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is a really nice property. They staff was exceptionally friendly. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. the breakfast was typical far, but good. The only drawback is there are no restaurants in the area. I also did not feel comfortable outside after dark. It seems as if this is a transient area or one that is going through revitalization.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Lancaster, WI
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We were in town during the NASCAR weekend. The rooms are dated & are in need of updating but our rooms were cleaned very well every day (stayed 3 nights). Had trouble with the inroom temp control but as the temp outside was 50-60 we just turned it off & in room temp was fine. The hotel staff was very friendly & accomadting with directions with where we wanted to go. Our only big disappointment was there was nothing to do within walking distance of the hotel. Downtown KC, Missouri was only about 10 minutes driving time, so not so bad if traffic is ok. No free breakfast. Beds were comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was in town to visit a friend and couldn't get a room at the Marriott (which I work for in Indy). It was race weekend and no discounts. But stepping into the hotel I was greeted by Delores and Tammy with smiles. Tammy checked me in promply and sent me off to my 2nd floor rm. not before Delores telling me which would be the best pick for dinner Kansas City Bar- B- Q would be her first choice. Which was Gates! I loved it too!!!!

The staff made sure I was having a good time and was seeing what I needed to see in their city!

The only complaint I have was housekeeping. When she knocked on the door we told her come back in 30min because we were leaving..We were out most of the day and when we got back the room hadn't been touched..nothing like walking into a dirty hotel room... I was so disappointed! Then we left for dinner to give her a chance to clean it .Went to Gates...we came back and still not done...so we went to find her and then have her clean it. I was livid!!! A damper on the stay BIG TIME..

Overall, I enjoyed my time in the city...As far as the Hotel- Delores and Tammy made up for housekeeping in smiles....Thanks Ladies!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Stayed at this hotel while we were in town for the American Royal BBQ and the staff was wonderful. I called to get early check-in and the lady that helped me was so friendly and made sure everything was taken care of. We had a room on the top floor which was nice and quiet. We also got the breakfast package with our room and it was well worth it. This was the second time I have stayed at this hotel and I am sure it will not be the last. Thank you Hilton Garden for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
NE
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This hotel has not been remodeled since the 1990s...hence the box t.v.s and the wallpaper. It's also in a not so hot neighborhood and you have to parking is only available in a parking garage...albeit well lit. The staff, great/quiet night sleep, and delicious breakfast (included with my gold HH status) is the only reason I gave this hotel 3 stars, but come with no expectations of a new, or updated room. About 10 minutes from downtown KCMO.

Room Tip: upper level floor