Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center
816 Hotel(Kansas City)
  • Breakfast included
The Fontaine(Kansas City)
View Hotel
All reviewsmed centerfive guys burgerstaco bellfront deskfirst floorweird smellroom keydirectly across the streetrecommend this hotelwalking distancecrown centerhotel is in a great locationbreakfast stafffree breakfastfollowing morningclose to downtownstayed two nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Comfy bed, good breakfast with a shining star of a breakfast lady, fridge that worked. Lobby is on the second floor of this building, with entrance in the rear of the building. Only glitch was that front desk knew I anticipated a 3 pm phone call and was anxious to get in my room before then. They managed that nicely, thank you, with a few minutes to spare. But phone call didn't come. And didn't come. Finally got it after 6 pm. Front desk said they were too busy to answer phone earlier. Manager next day very apologetic, certainly, but what if it had been an emergency for these folks who have people admitted to the Med Center? At least excellent wi-fi, so maybe they have a cell phone that works if the hospital calls.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear lemons1,

We appreciate you sharing your feedback with us and we use this to continue to improve the high quality of our product and service. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We had a family emergency that brought us to KU Medical Center. The staff were all very helpful and seemed to enjoy thier job. One clerk in particular was very helpful for us. Her name is Maggie. She went above and beyond to make sure our whole family was taken care of as there were 3 groups of us staying. They also give a special discount if you are there with the med center. Thanks for making our trip as comfortable as possible.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Pam S
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property!

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I booked a room online for 5 nights through Holiday Inn and received a rate quote for average nightly cost and a Confirmation number. When I arrived, the hotel applied a different higher rate, despite my showing the clerk the printout from Holiday Inn showing the confirmed reservation information.

On checkout, the attending clerk [different person] was polite but said she was unable to address the problem. An email was left in the event that higher ups reconsidered and wanted to correct the problem, but no follow up has been received. On a humorous note, she asked whether I would be making further bookings with the hotel. In turn, I politely explained that, in light of the bait and switch tactics of their booking operation and unwillingness to correct the error when brought to their attention, I would not be making future bookings. In light of other lodging options in KC, I would recommend to friends, family and anyone using Trip Advisor to avoid Holiday Inn Express because of their deceptive and dishonest practices. It is a shame because the hotel service was otherwise fine and there appeared no need to cheat and abuse customers.

Room Tip: Requested room on top floor for quiet, but apparently mechanical equipment on roof defeated that goal. Best to call ahead, even if you have reservation to try to avoid bait and switch problem I encountered on room rate. Staff was friendly, but low rating is due to dishonest managerial practices.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul L
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Dear Paul L,

We are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience at our hotel. Any email sent to the hotel management would have gone straight to me and I do not recall seeing one regarding this matter. We understand that we can not erase what has already taken place but we would like the opportunity to make it right. Please contact the hotel and ask directly for the General Manager. Thank You

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We had never been to Kansas City before and chose this HIE for its location. And for that we were pleased. We had easy access to downtown as well as Independence and Oregon Trail sites to the east. Also, there are a lot of interesting restaurants within walking distance (in good weather) on 39th street on the other side of the medical center.

The desk staff was great -- very friendly and helpful.

Why a "3"? Well, the place is noisy. I could hear lots of hall noise and some next room noise. Earplugs were a must for any hope of sleeping. Also, the shower was really poorly designed. I usually don't really notice or pay attention to such things but this shower was hard to miss. It was a walk-in (no tub) and was designed such that the shower head was about 8 feet tall and aimed at a corner. The high water source meant the water hitting my 5'4" head was sort of drizzly. And the aim meant I was stuck in a corner trying not to bump my elbows on the walls. If I had only been staying one night it wouldn't have been a big deal but 4 nights made it really annoying and memorable.

The website says they have an underground parking garage but I never saw it. Instead, guests were directed to park in an exposed lot that had a security guard at night. We felt safe and didn't have any issues.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ToniPortland_OR
Michael B, Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding our hotel. We hope to see you next time you are back in Kansas City!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed at this location while visiting University of Kansas Med Center. The desk staff was one of the best we have encountered. The room was on the top floor and overlooked the parking lot behind the property. The bed was comfy and the room was quite large. The location was within walking distance of the Med center and was easily accessed off of I-35 about 1.5 miles. There was a burger joint and taco shop right out front. Would definitely recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business