“Not a good one”

Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel a couple of nights a few observations and thoughts on our stay 1. Security was overly aggressive they walk around harassing people and questioning everyone in the hotel even if they see you check in. Why I have no idea. 2. Front desk clerks are decent with not a lot of hospitality, no smiles, no greetings and one had a terrible attitude with one of my family members when he asked for a band-aid. 3. The only bright spot about our stay was the breakfast receptionist, she was very sociable and hospitable. She made sure the entire dining room was satisfied and accommodated many request time after time Other than that out time there was a complete disaster. Also out room was next too the septic room so every few minutes we could here upstairs flushes coming down the pipes all night long. Terrible thing to listen to for your entire trip.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank B M
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear B M,

I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with us, as this is the first I am hearing of any issues that weekend. I can be reached directly at 913-236-8700. I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Booth

Reviewed December 4, 2013

My family stayed at this location during our Thanksgiving travel. We used Rewards Club points and it was a great deal (I was a little apprehensive at what we would find for 10,000 points)! The hotel is new, is conveniently located to the highway, is close to restaurants (there is a Subway and Five Guys Burgers in the same building and others less than 1 mile away), and of course right across the street from the KU Medical University. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly, especially the breakfast staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, I would definitely try them again. We chose this hotel due to its location. This hotel I believe is pretty new. The room was basically clean, Our bedspread had some chocolate or something stuck on in when I moved the "foot cover" at the end of the bed. That turned me off right away and made me question if the sheets were clean. I also noticed something had been spilled on the wall in the bathroom next to the wastebasket. Pretty easy thing to clean, but had been overlooked. Other than that, I had no reason to question the cleanliness of the room. Everything else was very clean. Some of the other reviews on this site talked about the loudness of the doors slamming and of the people above you. I have to say, that is true. The people above us obviously had children and you could hear them running around. Certainly didn't ruin our stay but was noticeable. The one thing I didn't like, and this is minor, the remotes for the TV had no sleep timer on them. Not even on the settings function. The other thing people talked about was the breakfast lady. Yes, she has a loud voice, but I have to say, we LOVED her! She was friendly, she welcomed everyone as they came in. Was helpful. She talked to you as much or as little as you preferred. KUDOS to this hotel for hiring her. She is a gem! She was on top of everything. I felt like I was at my grandma's for breakfast! She noticed when you left and told everyone "Thanks folks, you all have a nice day!" And I will add, the breakfast they offer is good, better than many hotels I've stayed at. Overall, if I needed to stay in this area I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay on top floor if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear AJM1967,

I want to start by thanking you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We take our room cleanliness very seriously and find it unacceptable when something is overlooked. I assure you that we will take your feedback and re-train accordingly, so that yourself or any other guests do not have this experience again.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and we hope to see you next time your are in town!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

I booked this hotel for a recent business trip to KC as it was close to the customer I was meeting with. The hotel is quite new and the rooms are modern and spacious.

The breakfast consisted of the typical "breakfast included" fare of cereal and baked goods. I was able to find some healthier options like fruit and yoghurt but would not recommend the hard boiled eggs. They are in a sketchy tray in the fridge and the one I tried tasted spoiled.

The gym was small but adequate and didn't appear to be well used while I was there.

The woman who checked me in was very pleasant and took the time to show me the gym and pool however, the fellow at the desk the following morning could use some coaching in good customer service. I realized as I was heading down to the gym in the morning that I had left my water bottle in the car. I stopped by the front desk and asked the fellow there for a bottle of water explaining that mine was out in the car. His response was that he could only sell me one from their small tuck shop. I inquired further as I had seen others receive bottle water at check in the day before. He explained that this water is given to IHG members at check in. I let him know that I am an IHG member but did not get any water at check in and asked if I could instead get one now. He insisted it could only be given at check in and that he could not give me one. While it is my fault that I left my bottle in the car, I found it a little petty that he would not give me a bottle so that I would not have to go out to the parking lot in the pitch dark (5am), particularly since I did not get one at check in.

I travel a considerable amount for business and it is really those little things that set one hotel apart from another.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

I took my wife and 2 boys, ages 3 and 5, on my house hunting trip for my job, as I am being relocated to the area. I wouldn't say it's kid-friendly for the simple fact that patients and their families from the medical center across the street stay there. They are likely under a lot of stress, and would be better served staying in a place that doesn't have potentially noisy kids around. We stayed in a top-floor room, and our third night there, our downstairs neighbour complained to the front desk that our kids were stomping around too much. Needless to say, it put somewhat of a damper on the rest of our stay feeling we had to walk on eggshells while we occupied our room. If I choose to stay there again with kids, I will request a room on the bottom floor.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ants_at_a_picnic
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We originally booked this hotel 2 months in advance through hotwire. In my original booking I noted there would be three adult guests. Hotwire book a room with 1 king bed for all three of us. The hotel was very nice about it even though they were completely booked and couldn't fix our problem they offered a rollaway bed to help accommodate. I called hotwire and spent 2 hours and 3 customer service reps trying to remedy this situation, meanwhile the hotel management were extremely nice to us and apologetic. They were able to offer us a room with 2 queens for one night but not the second. It turned out a guest checking in the next day wanted the king instead of the 2 queens so we got to keep our room for the second night. The facility was very clean, the comforters and pillows were soft and the beds were really comfortable. The staff for the cont. breakfast was very nice and very outgoing. Great location too! 1 mile from Westport, 4 miles from power and light district and across the street from KU Med.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We liked this hotel. Parking was a bit confusing as we weren't sure if we were in the correct lot behind the hotel as there was also an entrance to 7-eleven convenience store. But they gave us a pass to put on our dashboard and all was fine.

We knew from the reviews that the lobby was on the 2nd floor and that you had to use your room key in the elevator so this was no surprise. We didn't mind that the lobby was on the 2nd floor except when we used the elevator to go to the lobby & kept forgetting it was on the 2nd floor and not the first - we'd get out and realize this then have to hike up the stairs back to the lobby! It would be nice to have a sign in the elevator reminding guests of this.

If you don't want to have to use your room key to access the elevator, request a room on the 2nd floor - same floor as the lobby. You only need a room key to get to floor 3 or 4.

Staff was nice, room was very clean, beds extremely comfortable and breakfast was good!

We did ask for a quiet room and was given a room facing the street - heard sirens immediately after arriving in our room but then not after that. I think they put everyone in the hotel on our end of the floor as we could hear lots of people and lots of kids. The normal noise of people didn't bother us. What bothered us was the sound of doors slamming shut. I am sure people weren't slamming them but the sound vibrated so much in our room that one time the bed actually moved when a neighbor's door slammed shut!! I could not figure out why this was as it seemed to be a well built and good constructed hotel. I did notice that the entry to the room was all tile for a long distance - all the way up to the edge of the bed. Perhaps due to the tile, the sound echoed so bad?

The loud slamming doors stopped when the other guests went to bed for the night so it did not disturb our sleep. The beds were so very comfortable!!! We even noted the mattress brand - it was that comfortable! We slept solid all night long. Best night of sleep in a long time!

The breakfast lady was extremely loud & boisterous with a hearty laugh. I think she truly loves her job but was a tad overbearing so early in the morning. She enjoyed joking and teasing guests plus singing "it's raining, it's pouring" quite loudly. A little peace and quiet would have been nice - so I opted to eat my breakfast to my room. She was a delightful lady but just way too loud.

The pool hours prevent guests from swimming in the morning. I didn't appreciate this and told the front desk that I was too tired to swim in the evening and would like to swim in the morning before check out and was told it was not an option. Very disappointing.

Five Guys Burgers is on the first floor but you can not access it from the first floor in the hotel. You must walk out the door and then into the door of Five Guys. It would have been very nice to have a connecting door. Five Guys was very delicious! So good that I was craving it on our drive home the next day. I do recommend you eat there.

Would we stay at this hotel again? Absolutely! This is now our #1 favorite hotel in the KC area and plan to stay here in the future. If they could fix the acoustics with their doors, it would be a perfect hotel! I do recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from other guests.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Kansas City at Village West
Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
Holiday Inn Country Club Plaza
#15 of 110 in Kansas City

Been to Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center? Share your experiences!