“Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center”

Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Kansas City
Joplin, Missouri
“Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Overall, I was very happy with my stay. Hotel was very clean, the staff was outstanding, and the hotel felt very secure. The shower head was very high up, which is a bonus for tall people. Only drawback was the satellite TV....there were storms in the area, and the channels kept cutting out.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Johnston, Iowa
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Spend a Saturday Night here. Checkin was very quick and the room was fantastic. The shower was the best I have ever been in. It was very large and designed so there was no need for a curtain. It could have used a bench so you could let the water cascade onto your back. The breakfast was the same old thing from Holiday Inn Expresses. Will stay here anytime I am in the KC area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank IowaUSMC
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express by KU Medical Center twice now, both times during the Snowmeggedon drama this past winter. I have to say that having a Five Guys that close to the hotel is the best idea ever! I can't wait until 7-11 opens!

But getting back to the hotel, it has always been very clean and neat. Yes, it's new, but that doesn't mean that staff doesn't have to keep it looking as great as it was opening day. The beds are comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows, but many of them were not firm. The linens were a little more scratchy than I would have expected.

Each stay, the staff has been so wonderful! They greet you like you were friends,I checked in with ease, and they give great directions on how to get to your room. The outside of the hotel looks like it would be small, but that 4th floor goes in 4 different directions - crazy maze! The last time I stayed, I was having problems with the heater. They immediately sent up one person, and the machine started blowing, but it never got hot. So I called again and they sent up another person in fast fashion, and after some finagling, it was hotter than the desert. Each time, each person did not make it seem as if it were any trouble to assist us.

My only complaint is that breakfast starts at 7am. My shift at the hospital starts at 7am. I would suggest starting breakfast 30 minutes earlier so that I can shovel some food in my mouth!

It's a little pricey for this area, but it's worth it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My family recently stayed at the KU medical center Holiday Inn Express and had a very nice stay. The hotel service was exceptional. From the check in greeting to check out we were treated very well. They opened the pool one hour early for us so that my kids could swim before we hit the road again. The hotel is also very clean and modern. I don't know how old the hotel is but it feels like the renovations were within the last year. Breakfast was OK but below average by typical HI Express standards. However our breakfast room hostess was doing her best to make up for the malfunctioning juice machine. My only real complaint with the hotel is the soundproofing. We could hear another room and the traffic outside at night. So if you don't mind a little sound at night this is a great hotel. The service really can't be beat.

Room Tip: Be on side away from construction and Rainbow Blvd.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I had just one night booked at this hotel as a stopover on a road trip to California. Unfortunately, before we could even get to Kansas City, we hit a deer on the interstate and our vacation plans immediately changed. This hotel could not have more accommodating or helpful - they were fantastic. We called to tell them we'd be late and explained why, and Darryl made sure our room was held for us, even as we were an hour away from KC in the middle of nowhere near 11:00 p.m. dealing with tow trucks and such.

When we finally arrived, they offered us genuine sympathy and complimentary bottled water, treated us to some food from their lobby store, and signed us in to a spacious room that was extremely clean and decorated in a modern and comfortable style, complete with mini-fridge, microwave, flat-screen TV, and a well-appointed bathroom with plenty of towels.

Our one-night stay kept extending, as first we had to wait for the insurance company to evaluate the car's damage (it ended up being totaled), and then we got stuck unable to leave when Winter Storm Q hit and closed most of the area. Our only ventures out were a nice walk to the KC "Plaza" area (before the storm got bad) via W. 39th Avenue, and several trips to the terrific Five Guys burger place on the first floor of the hotel. There's not a whole lot right around the hotel other than chain restaurants/etc. (Taco Bell, CVS, Starbucks) but those are good for necessities, and then it's only a walk or bus ride to the more interesting parts of town.

The Holiday Inn Express KU crew and manager Michael continued to take great care of us, extending our room even as they were trying to deal with SO many extra people needing somewhere to stay during the storm. They made regular inquires as to how our situation was going, even looked up a list of rental car companies for us, cheerfully made sure we had everything we needed in our room, and were just generally nice to deal with.

As we wrote in a note we left them upon our departure five (!) days later (when we had to finally forfeit the rest of our vacation, rent a car from Hertz, and drive back north), they made an awful situation a little less awful.

From manager Mike to guest services personnel Darryl, Amy, Ty, and Lindsay, to Carol and the housekeeping staff, to "Mrs. B" who kept the breakfast area organized and full of fresh food, this is a staff that cares, working on a well-kept property that has easy access to KC's downtown/Plaza and Crown Center areas, whether you choose to walk, catch a bus, or wade through a snowstorm. Highly recommended in all seasons.

Room Tip: There is construction currently going on (February 2013) which is a little noisy, so you might want...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pyxisgirl
Reviewed February 19, 2013

the experience were quite different being a new hotel. When i arrived on floor it had a stench to it of not of new but when i went into room it smell like back up sewage. Front desk wasnt able to move claim their would not be any space for days & I was there more than one day. Breakfast food could had been fresher & hot. There gift shop was over price. Definitely would not return again no matter how close I were to KU although I do business with KU regular. Did found other hotel cater to KU (from patient) with better rates, rooms are nicer with fresh made omelets are serve even has there own shuttle. Only good service Holiday was 2 of their clerks the guy Daryl & that young lady overnight Selena

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank navigator66
Michael B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Navigator66,

First of all, I want to personally apologize for falling short of meeting your expectations during your recent stay at our hotel. Providing a positive, quality experience to each one of our guests has and will always be our #1 goal. As for the "smell" you experienced during your stay, we have promptly notified the general contractor and will have the issue corrected immediately. You mentioned that you visit KU regularly for business and I hope that you give us another chance to prove ourselves. We strive to be as flexible and accomodating as possible to all of our guest, so I encourage you to contact the General Manager directly to discuss how we could tailor the hotels services to exceed your lodging needs. I hope this finds you well and look forward to hopefully speaking to you soon.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We had a nice stay here. The configuration of the hotel is a little unusual; the front desk is on the second floor. The first floor is a rather bare entrance to some of the retail places that occupy it.

The place was brand new and the room was nicely decorated in the modern style. Room was clean and had plenty of room because of the suite configuration. 24 hour guard in the parking lot which made things very secure feeling. Pretty good breakfast with many people taking advantage of it. Nice large space to eat. As others have said, it is right across from the med center. I mistakenly thought it was on hospital hill. Although it was not a long drive to the dental school, it was longer than I thought it would be. Very close to Old Westport and CC Plaza.
The only downside is the area is slightly sketchy; not too bad but not an area to walk around in after dark IMHO.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fairfield Inn Kansas City Downtown/Union Hill
AC Hotel Kansas City Westport
AC Hotel Kansas City Westport
#26 of 108 in Kansas City

Been to Holiday Inn Express at KU Medical Center? Share your experiences!