“My husbands favorite birthday present ever!”

Richard Petty Driving Experience
More attraction details
Owner description: Richard Petty Driving Experience puts you in a NASCAR race car for an adrenaline pumping thrill of a lifetime that gets you as close to being in The Race as you will ever get! Choose from one of our Driving Experiences where your hands are on the wheel, your foot is on the gas and 600 horses are ready to take you for 8 to 50 laps around your favorite speedway. Rather let someone else do the driving? No problem! Ride-along shotgun from the passenger seat for 3 laps around the track at speeds up to 165mph
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I bought the driving experience for my 62 year old husband and he had the best time of his life. He would love to do it again but it is a little cost-prohibitive to do it very often. I bought the plaque that shows photos oh him next to the car and driving the car, and also the DVD. I think the plaque was well worth the money but I didn't think the DVD was. We live only 10 minutes from the speedway so it was very convenient for us. (I had to select a visit date in 2012 but it was actually in 2009.)

All reviews
in 17 reviews
"passengers"
"skills"

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Either ride shot gun or drive the big machine, this is one way to feel the excitment at the speedway. Put the peddle down and drop the hammer!

Reviewed January 30, 2012

My wife gave this to me as an anniversary present and it ranks as one of the best ever. I put this as one of the top five most exciting things I've done in my life and some of the other things on that list are taking a fast boat up the Mekong River, jumping out an airplane in the Army and driving an ATV across the desert in Afghanistan.
You follow a pace car and the driver of that car determines how fast you'll go based on his evaluation of your driving skills. I did well enough to average over 150 mph on each of the five laps, though I'm sure it's relative and you'll enjoy it just as much if your average is half that. It's not cheap but it's truly a once in a lifetime experience for most of us.

Reviewed November 14, 2011

I bought my husband the rookie experience and he had the time of his life! Very professional staff, caring and they love racing and they all really seem like they want you to have a great time and they also seem to appreciate that you've spent a lot of money and they want you to get the most for your money. You are very well "trained". They tell you very well exactly what to expect. It is recommended if you can afford to buy a ride along experience first if you have never driven a race car before. It was around $100. You ride around the track 3 laps with a professional driver and if he knows you've bought the rookie experience he will tell you things to watch for a tips along the way. If you buy this ride along you can also purchase another one for half price for another rider that same day. My husband bought that for me. It was fun! You can purchase in car camera videos of all your rides. You can buy t shirts and other souveneirs. They give you a packet at the end that includes your lap times and speeds. We were there about 3 hours total and we were not rushed. One thing we have to say is that the staff that actually helps you get in the cars and preps you ect, they are GREAT! One of the guys that helped us we talked to for a while and I was so surprised to learn he was only 17!!!! He was so professional for such a young age. And he really loved his job. He also was a racer (since he was 10) and very knowlegable. We really enjoyed talking to him. Everyone there was top notch!

1  Thank ajm67
See more reviews
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Thrilling. I went for the $109 "ride-along" at 155 mph and that was plenty fast going up a banking curve three feet from a concrete wall. Long enough to feel I got my money's worth in three laps, but short enough so that it was never boring. I arrived as soon as they opened, and there was a racing suit and car ready in less than 15 minutes from my arival. I am very glad I did it and my whole perspective about racing and races has changed. The staff was very friendly and let me take any pictures I wanted.

1  Thank solomonknibb