“The Prarie At Its Best”

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“The Prarie At Its Best”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I visited the Konza Preserve with a friend hoping to see a vestige of the tall grass prarie that once covered the mid-west, what I got was a trip back in time to pre-European Kansas. We took the Nature trail and did not see another living soul. At times, when looking out from the higher points, it was as if the modern world had vanished and the only thing disturbing the prarie grasses was the wind. There is a box with an informative map at the car park, take one with you as it helps interpret different markers along the way and pointed out things I would never have known or noticed. You'll need walking shoes on and should carry some water. The Konza Preserve is a beautiful place and I am beyond glad that I took the time to visit. If you have the chance make sure you do the same.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank plush74

Amherst, New Hampshire
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“See the prairie as the pioneers did”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Don't miss this opportunity to see virgin tallgrass prairie. It's hard to believe that this land has never seen a plow or farm. We went in October, when the air was cool, and fall colors were showing. The best part of our visit was the fact that we did not meet anyone on the trails. We walked all 3 trails, the Nature Trail, Kings Creek, and Godwin Hill loops. Such a beautiful, peaceful place. Highly recomended.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank novastorm19
Goessel, ks
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Wow! So cool!”
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've lived in the area all my live, went to school at K-State even, and never heard of this wonderful hiking area! I took the Kings loop and then the Homestead Trail when I got the homestead. This is a wonderful area and I will definitely be back. Allow plenty of time because it's awe-inspiring to sit at the top of those hills and just look around while catching your breath.

Trails are a mix of tractor tracks, dirt, screenings, and rock so wear shoes that will get you over them all. On the nature trail there are two really inclined climbs - like a level 7 and it's a great workout! The south portion is in the valley and better for a run on your return. By the homestead there are composting toilets which are a blessing by that time. :)

Very well maintained. There's a pipe to put in the $2 fee and please do so!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Lisa H
Fishers, Indiana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Refreshingly beautiful”
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Regardless of the 2 hour drive, I have come here many times. I always leave feeling renewed and content. The beautiful views, abundant wildlife, and quiet will bring me back as long as I live within a day's drive.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank blazermcc08
Virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“great hike”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visited with my wife and teenage son while in the area for a college visit at K-State. The hike brochure explains about the flint hills prairie very well. quite and not crowed at all during our mid-morning visit on a weekday.

Visited August 2013