“Smelly dirty room”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Independence
Oklahoma
“Smelly dirty room”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Booked a NON smoking room checked in late to a very much smoking room. Contacted the front desk and was told when you book online you get what you get. Not satisfied. Won' t be back. Heard the Mocrotel across the street was nice.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Michelle S, Manager at Super 8 Independence, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Oklahoma unhappy,
I am very sorry that you had an unpleasant stay with us. The night desk clerk should have been more helpful and explained the situation more clearly- the night you booked with us the system you booked with did mistakenly reserve a smoking room. Usually we would have moved you to a nonsmoking room and everyone would have been happy, however we had no available rooms. I deeply regret that we didn't do more to make your stay better. I hope you will reconsider your choice not to stay here again.
Michelle Smith
Manger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bryant, Arkansas
Reviewed September 4, 2012

OK, I don't think I'm expecting much when choosing to stay here but there aren't many choices in the town.
First, if you like to have clean bed linens and clean bath linens-DO NOT stay here. We arrived late and instead of making a big to do, we decided to sleep and wait for the change of linens the next day. After getting little sleep due to the vacuuming, assuming linens were changed every day was another mistake I made. They have a policy that they don't tell customers...'We only change bed sheets every other day'. Not good when it looks as if they haven't changed them in several customer stays. The bed linens had stains with color (brown, tan, etc) and dirt in the bed and the comforter had blood stains and cigarette burns. The floors were just as dirty and I think I even found rodent droppings.
Second, if you're still considering a stay consider bringing your own bath linens as the ones we'd been supplied looked as if they were over ten years old and were more polka-dotted with stains than not. But I'm sure they were clean?
Only stayed two nights and weren't there except for bedtime but come on. If a Super 8 franchise is supposed to represent the name, you failed miserably and should be ashamed at the filth. After bringing all of these issues up with the manager, I was told things like 'we cant change the linens just because there is a stain on them, and my mother is the housecleaning and I doubt that she left dirty sheets on the bed.' All I could say is sorry, but the sheets are dirty and the towels are disgusting.
Even though we visit the area every year for Labor Day, we will never stay here again and we'll make sure we let others know why. Oh and every one else is right...the place does smell bad.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Michelle S, General Manager at Super 8 Independence, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Doug C., I am sorry your stay with us wasn't up to your standards. When we spoke I explained to you that after every checkout our sheets are changed and the room is cleaned and stocked with fresh towels. If you decide to give us another chance I am sure we can make you happy. Thanks for letting me know that we have areas we need to improve on.

Travelers are raving about these Independence hotels

Spirit Lake, Iowa
Reviewed August 1, 2012

The whole place had a bad smell including our room. It was an alright room, but found dirty towels housekeeping must have missed. We checked in later in the evening and housekeeping was still working just down from our room.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay there again if I was traveling through.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bowie, Maryland, United States
Reviewed July 19, 2012

That was the biggest detractor for this hotel - a funky smell, like old urine. Fortunately, there is a Wal-Mart across the street and air freshener took care of the problem (we could have asked for another room, but we had already unloaded all our stuff (2 adults, 2 kids, 2 week car trip) and I didn't want to move it. Otherwise, the room was as expected - reasonably clean, small, a little worn. The kids were excited to get into the pool...except it was closed and it looked like algae was growing in it (even though the front desk person said it was just cleaned). Another hotel guest said it had been like this since he'd been there (2 wk) and pointed out how the pool filter wasn't running. Free wireless internet worked well. The free continental breakfast had limited offerings. We do not plan to ever stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Michelle S, General Manager at Super 8 Independence, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear ajscatvet,
I am sorry that there were so many problems while you were with us.
We cleaned the carpet in your room after I read your review, thank you mfor letting us know about that.
As for our pool, unfortunately over those two weeks we did have problems keeping our chemicals balanced and pool filtering right. Since then however we have replaced the pump and the filter and I am happy to be able to say our pool problems are no more.
I regret the fact that you will not stay with us again.
Thanks for your time,
Michelle
G.M.
Aurora, Illinois
Reviewed June 11, 2012

this hotel was a GREAT place to stay. the rooms were clean and the hotel staff were very professional and extremely friendly, I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Kevin from Illinois

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear kim p.,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay with us.
Your nice words make our day a little brighter.
Have a wonderful day.
Michelle
G.M.
Greeensboro, NC
Reviewed June 5, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Super 8 Independence on our way back to Carolina. Check in was quick and efficient. The room and linens were clean and the bed slept well. The motel is on Main St. but it doesn't seem to be a very busy street as we didn't notice any traffic noise. We would stay here again if we are passing this way.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear lowboync,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback from our customers.
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Not a good place to stay when there's several better ones there I think its just a Super 8 thing.

• Stayed August 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Independence
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Independence
#3 of 4 in Coffeyville
Townsmen Motel
Townsmen Motel
#2 of 6 in Independence

Been to Super 8 Independence? Share your experiences!