“Has poor maintenance.”

Knights Inn Independence
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Independence
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The room was apparently clean and the bed was comfortable. In other way, carpet was very old and was stained. The sink was clogged and would not drain the water. The swimming pool was out of order, despite being in august. Breakfast was a disaster, so much so, we did not eat anything.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Very nice size room. Bed was very comfortable. Internet speed was great. Clean and quiet. I did have buddies staying in other rooms and one didn't have fridge and microwave. And the other didn't have a coffe pot. I had all them with iron board. So with all that said I would stay here again but before you check in and this goes for any hotel...get in there and scope it out before you pay.

Room Tip: The room closest to the office is best. 138
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank CyrusCanUDigIt
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We went to Independence Ks on our vacation to see "Little House on the Praire" it was very interesting and my little granddaughter enjoyed it alot. However wasn't exactly what I had expected. This hotel was bad, it was dirty and smelled bad and the web site says there is pool and there isn't it is covered up!! If you go to Independence you have to go to the city park it is great and was great for all of us young and old!! The old carrosell does really only cost a nickle and everyone there was so friendly!! You just have to see it to believe it, it was great!!! Go to a different hotel this one needs serious help!!!!!

Room Tip: get a different hotel!!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I checked in, in Feb. for a three week stay, I was quoted a weekly rate and when I was checking in they tried to charge an extra $100 a week. The room was very dirty, looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in a month. That's not the worse part, I ended up with an ER visit with multiple Bed Bug bites and Scabies, also learned of another man having the same issue during the same stay. Danny (manager) would not even refund my money when I left for the remainer of that week. I contacted the health department about this and I'm not done yet, nobody should have to go thru this, it is a nightmare and I am still having emotional issues. If u want to sleep tight and don't want the bed bugs to bite, this isn't the place!!!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank blondey643
Reviewed July 28, 2011

When we stayed here, we were the only people checked into the hotel. That was strange enough, considering all the other hotels in town were booked. But we kept hearing banging all night long.

Then when we went up for the "continental breakfast", the front desk person was still asleep and made a 1/2 pot of coffee and put out 6 mini muffins from Walmart. Seriously??? We left and paid for a night at another hotel, needless to say we paid in advance.... Oh well, will NEVER stay here again. Horrible experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I hadn't planned on staying here, but got caught in a bad storm onmy way home from Wichita, so decided to stop. I've always had mixed feelings about Knights Inn, but this one looked decent on the outside so I decided to stop. There were signs in the window and on the rack brochures saying "AAA Approved" and "AARP Approved", so I figured it would be a decent place... I should have known better.

When I checked in, the young lady behind the desk told me the rate was $51. I asked about an AAA discount and was told they no longer honored AAA. AARP? No discount. So why are there signs advertising it? She couldn't tell me. Wyndham Trip Rewards? No discount. She didn't think they even honored Wyndham for Reward Points. But I stayed anyway rather than deal with the storm.

The room was "OK" cleanliness wise: the carpet was dirty (though the dark color hid the dirt until it showed up on my socks), but the walls were clean. The bed was clean and confortable with lots of pillows, though it was short sheeted. The air conditioning worked well and there was plenty of hot water in the shower. However, the vending room was filthy!! The snack machine and the drink machine were empty and the ice machine looked like someone had beat it up. The floor itself was covered with dead roaches! Luckily I didn't see any live ones, so *maybe* they had just sprayed.

It was a Sunday evening and the only thing open for dinner was McDonald's. Well, that and Pizza Hut, but it was on the other side of town. There were pizza menus in the room, but the restaurant was closed on Sunday. Luckily, there was a Wal-Mart 2 blocks away so I stopped in there and got a microwave dinner. Fortunately, I didn't find any dead roaches in my room's microwave when I heated up my dinner.

Not that I would go swimming during a thunderstorm, but I noticed the swimming pool appeared to permenently closed.: everything was covered up with dirty tarps or simply missing (such as the pool ladder). Kind of strange since the brochures advertise a pool. After it got dark, I noticed th parking lot wasn't lit up, so I called the front desk to ask about lights in the parking lot. The clerk told me she didn't know how to turn the lights on. Fortunately, the motel wasn't very busy (only 3-4 rooms sold) so it wasn't a "major" concern.

Breakfast was like a bad joke! Two kinds of cereal (corn flakes & fruit loops) and pre-packaged mini-muffins. There was NO juice (or fresh fruit), NO coffee, NO bread for toast (and NO toaster). This was surprising since the brochures show juice, fruit, bread for toast and a toaster. Or maybe they don't offer breakfast on weekends? I finally found the milk hidden in a refrigerator under the counter. I also appeared to be only one who actually stopped in for breakfast.. I asedk the gentleman behind the counter if there was any juice, but he acted as if he didn't understand English. HOWEVER, when I checked out, he spoke good English, though he couldn't tell me if my Wyndham Rewards Number was on my folio.

Althoug the bed was clean and comfortable, I was extremely disappointed overall. I filed a complaint with AAA for the motel's refusial to honor the AAA Discount, only to find out they are NOT AAA approved. Makes sense, I guess: AAA would never have approved this motel...and neither do I !

Room Tip: Go Someplace Else
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank YFNETM
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We were actually given the opportunity to check out the room before we took it. We had looked in the area and this one was the best price by far. It looked to be remodeled. We just stuck our heads in. The room looked clean. The carpet looked nice. It was hot and had a strange smell, but the air conditioner was off. I told my husband it is probably just stuffy.When we checked in we found that there was a leak and the carpet was soaked in the entire vanity area. We had to wear shoes if we went to the bathroom.lol When my husband went and told the manager, he just said "No problem, fix tomorrow" We had no cold water in the sink, only a small stream of hot water. We had to brush our teeth with really hot water or use the tub. lol The air conditioner wouldn't work when we turned it on so we had to call the manager. It looked as if it was turned off on the inside. He had to take the cover off. I honestly think he had it that way to save money. It would barely cool and we ran it for several hours before we finally called him and he knew exactly what to do and said a previous patron had done it. He said they do it all the time! Why would anyone do that? Then a family member who also stayed there said the exact same thing had happened to them. Any time we tried to communicate with the manager, his English was so broken, and he would just say "No problem." We actually laugh about it now, but it really was a terrible night! The smell never went away. The pool was a big empty dirty thing. If ever given the opportunity to check out a room, I will do a much better job than I did with this one! We only paid $45 including tax, so the price was really low, but I think a tent by the lake might have been more comfortable. lol The manager should have immediately given us another room, but he would suddenly forget his English when we tried to talk to him. I had to actually get really mad and yell into the phone when I called the front desk before he even fixed the air conditioner. I feel bad about that but it was over 100 degrees out for days and pretty miserable without cold air! This is a privately owned place I believe.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple