“a good family trip”

Cosmosphere
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Hutchinson
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: In the heart of the Midwest, a national treasure awaits discovery. The Cosmosphere - an internationally-recognized STEM education center and world-renowned, Smithsonian-affiliated museum - allows visitors to experience the thrill of space exploration and hands-on education.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase
Olathe, Kansas, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“a good family trip”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Overall, a good trip. I called ahead to get tickets; so we set foot in the attraction ready to go. Unfortunately, the 3 tickets we got--lab, planetarium, and movie were spaced really close together--2, 3, and 4 pm. We got at the front of the line for the lab and got good seats; unlike a movie, they only open the theater 5 minutes before the show and there are no ropes for an organized line. But then, we were last out and at the end of the mob for the planetarium line. Would be nice if there was more time to give everyone a chance for good seats and a roped off path instead of a gigantic mob heading for the door.

The lab was Fabulous! I learned alot and the kids were entertained while the young man explained physics as he lit things on fire!

And the same poor guy worked the lab and the planetarium, running back and forth--He did a GREAT job! I found myself getting lost in the plantarium show; they were talking about constellations in the stars above, but the vast majority I was looking around to see what he was talking about. Then we went to a movie about dinosaurs, good no problems. And I bought a large pop for $2--Great deal!

The actual mueseum was interesting; but difficult to navigate. There were 2 turn-styles; we tried one repeatedly until we figured out it was the exit (not marked); then we wandered a bit though the exhibit. I wish they had personal audio like at Union Station in Kansas City. Had a hard time finding the exit as well.

Overall the kids (10 and 11) had a great time; not your average Saturday for us and worth going back.

Visited November 2012

Augusta, Kansas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great for adults, or with the kids.”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have been twice, once with the kids and another time with my dad when he visited. A visit is a must for any space program, or aviation fan and a great educational experience for the kids. The exhibits are very good, like having a small piece of the Smithsonian in Kansas.

Wichita, KS
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“If you like space, go here”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a great place to go if you like space exploration. I highly recommend it. This is definately a day-long experience if you do it correctly. If you don't have a few hours, don't waste your time. You will be sorry you blew through it.

Manhattan Beach, California
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“One of the best Air & Space Museums”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This is one of the world's best space museums. Although it is smaller than the Smithsonian it is packed with information and you can get very close to the exhibits. I was surprised to find that I needed a day to really see everything. Some incredible artifacts, including Gus Grissom's Mercury capsule, Gemini, and Apollo and Soviet vehicles. They cover the Soviet space program and the German V-2 effort in good detail.This museum rivals the aerospace museums in Russia as far as covering their space program. Another good feature is that when I visited, the museum was pretty empty of people, so you can take your time reading the information. Definitely worth going out of your way to visit.

1 Thank Ralph_MB
Centennial, Colorado
97 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Fantastic & Fascinating Attraction”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We drove to Hutchinson, Kansas, especially to see this attraction. We had heard so many things about it and it lived up to all the raves. We couldn't believe how many things the museum was able to obtain. I went to the IMax show while my husband went back to the museum as he just couldn't get enough of it. We enjoyed Dr Goodard's Lab. Very intertaining! Would go again!

Visited October 2012