“Best restaurant in Hutchinson? Says more about Hutchinson than about Jillian's.”

Jillian's Italian Grill
Ranked #2 of 122 Restaurants in Hutchinson
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2013

First the good news. Jillian's offer's great ambiance, although the sound system for the music was erratic. Some selections were deafening, others barely audible. The service by our waiter, Karley, was solid, gracious, and appropriately attentive. The glowing fire of the wood fired pizza oven lends a warm, cozy element to the restaurant.

That said, the food is second rate. The crab cake "special" for the evening was two small crab cakes served over what appeared to be, and what tasted like, canned creamed corn. It was served luke warm. The crab cakes were poorly seasoned. The pizza from the wood fired oven was soggy and merely warm. The taste was unremarkable.

This was my third visit to Jillian's because the locals continue to insist that it is "the best restaurant in Hutchinson." However, on balance, for better food and much better value I'd suggest one of the chain restaurants in Hutchinson - Applebees, Chili's - either one has it all over Jillian's.

3  Thank NC608

Reviewed March 10, 2013

yum yum this is a pleasent suprize for me on my trip to hutchinson. i did not plan to go there it was a last min trip

Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten here many times. Always has been a great experience and continues to be my favorite place to eat in Hutchinson

Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I have been to Jillian's three times since we moved to Hutchinson this past August. The first two times, the food and service was just average. Since it's the only Italian place in Hutch, we didn't mind too much. We went back a third time a couple weeks ago, and we will NOT be going back.

We had made reservations and yet we had to wait at least 5 minutes in the "lobby" which was small and cold with the door opening and closing. The hostess was having trouble for some reason with someone else's reservation. When we were seated we ordered an appetizer: the crustini with checca. By the description on the menu, we thought it would be like bruschetta, but it was super spicy and otherwise had no flavor. You couldn't taste the parmesan or mozzarella. It was just spicy tomatoes. We sent it back in exchange for hummus and flatbread. The hummus was just ok, a little watery.

Before our main courses, we received "house salads" which were just lettuce and a rather bland vinaigrette. I honestly don't remember any other vegetables on the salads.

For our main course I ordered fettuccine alfredo, and my husband ordered eggplant parmesan. The fettuccine was supposed to have mushrooms on it. I counted about 4 thin slices, which is less than one actual mushroom. They tasted as if they were the kind from a can. Being a vegetarian, I didn't order any meat on my pasta, so I was expecting more mushrooms for a $12 dish. The alfredo sauce tasted like milk with a hint of butter. It was the most bland sauce I had ever tasted. Maybe the chef forgot to add the parmesan? I sent it back after two or three bites. I didn't ask for anything to replace it, because by this point, I was feeling sick to my stomach.

My husband's eggplant parmesan was also a disappointment. Underneath the breading was soggy, mushy and gray "eggplant" on the inside. It didn't actually look like eggplant at all. The noodles were overcooked and the sauce was so-so. My husband decided not to send it back just because we had already sent back two other dishes.

When the check came, I was shocked that we got charged for the fettuccine since I had only eaten a few bites and then sent it back. We asked the waitress about it and after a long wait, the manager came. We had to explain again what was wrong with my food and then he said they would take it off the check.

I honestly don't think we should have been charged for ANYTHING that night. The only decent thing was the free water. I will not be returning to this restaurant. If you're craving good Italian, go to Bocconcini in Wichita!

1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed December 5, 2012

After reading the prior reviews I wasn't sure what to expect. I was delighted with the results. I went on a Wednesday evening about 7:30pm, and the place was hopping busy. I did have to wait a few minutes to get someone's attention about seating. I was told they were busy setting up a large group, and it would be 5-10 minutes. In about 2 minutes I was ushered to a table. As a single individual traveling on business, nice restaurants that are busy sometimes don't take good care of you. My waitress was exceptional. She paid attention, she was there when I needed. She took care of the little niceties that you sometimes don't expect. When I wanted to sit and read and have another glass of wine it wasn't a problem despite how busy they were.The service I thought was exceptional. The food was very good. Although if the bread had been warmed first it would have been fantastic. The atmosphere and ambience was very nice an open wood burning oven at one end. If I were ever in town again, I would not hesitate to come back, or bring friends here. It was not until I was ready to leave and my "waitress" was not at my side...when I found from her replacement - who'd been instructed to take good care of me...and did! That my original waitress was apparently the owner - Jill herself! Thank you Jill, Great job!