Hotel Josephine
$98
Hyatt.com
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stopped by for a short stay and enjoyed this place, which we pretty much had to ourselves. Rooms are decent sized, queen beds, desk, sitting chair, all decorated in nice period antiques. Some rooms are larger than others (multiple beds, refrigerators, sofas), so it pays to ask in advance about the rooms. We like old properties, so we accept flaws. Towels were skimpy, tv was not great. But any and all work on the hotel has maintained it's 1890 character. Nice patio out back, sheltered within the brick walls gave us a great place to enjoy a bottle of wine. Breakfast room in the morning has a decent continental breakfast, with good choices/options. We didn't use the lobby area (desk help was there watching tv) though it was available, or the front porch area (faces west and is too sunny in the evening). Overall, staff/owners were helpful and friendly. Good location, near the old town square, off the highway (quiet). Nice to walk around the cobbled street and window shop. Decent restaurant within walking distance (Holten House), though its only open on weekends. Driving option (less than a mile) is Boomers, a decent sports bar/grill. Overall, we definitely enjoyed the historical ambience of Hotel Josephine, and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Talk to them about what you're looking for. Seemed to be lots of options in size, bed configuration, etc.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hafenbates
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Although my entire family resides in and around Holton, our decision to stay at Hotel Josephine was perfect. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. From the moment we walked in it was obvious that we were in a clean, caring and comfortable environment. With our vacation starting off running for the airplane and continued with crazy, almost unbelievable chaos, the staff made us feel as though there were no problems at all. They truly know how to make you feel at home.

The room we stayed in was very clean and cozy. Although in a historical setting, we were provided all the amenities we are spoiled with in todays world; a microwave oven, tv, refrigerator and more in our room with a private bath.... WE LOVED IT!!!!!

Room Tip: There are different decors; such as a Presidential Suite (Grover Cleavland) a Jesse James room etc... take your time to let them know what you are looking for... Rustic and Victorian are both offered...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lina S
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Thank You Lina, we enjoyed having you stay with us. It's always good to see people who grew up in Holton, return and enjoy family and friends. Lori

Reviewed August 12, 2011

I am a missionary to the Philippines and travel to many places while home on furlough. I am also a former Holton resident who loves to stay at the Hotel Josephine. The rooms are unique, cleverly decorated, exceptionally clean and people friendly! The staff keep your needs met and provide even basics like an iron, and blow dryer when I forgot mine this last trip! The new ownership is doing an outstanding job of providing a "haven of rest" for the traveler!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Mary W
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Blessed to have found this amazing place with great charm. Staff made me feel as if we had been friends forever. Thank you for making my three and a half week stay seamless and without flaw.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank 66hopes
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My husband and I happened across this beautiful historian hotel pretty much on accident due to all of the other places within the area being full! We was glad that we did, too! We seriously enjoyed our visit there! We have spent many a nights in the modern day hotels, however we found Hotel Josephine to be more relaxing than any of the other more up to date ones that we've previously visited!

It started the moment we entered the lobby. Just opening the we viewed a VERY beautiful taste of time from 'back in the day'! The old Victorian theme (furniture, and deco) only added to true beauty of Hotel Josephine!

Our room had what I considered it to be an old antique appearance. Hey, isn't that the whole idea or meaning behind historian? The wall paper displayed a beautiful antique look as if from that era. The poster bed, also had an antique look to it and was found to be comfortable! We slept on clean non-stained sheets, as some suggested differently in the reviews I read earlier. The furniture attire consisted of a sitting chair & dresser which also tied well into the room. Both displaying a true antique look!

The main entrance of the lobby was actually where the corner of the bldg. was, and off to the side facing the courtyard sat a couple wrought iron chairs/bench for the visitors relaxation. On into the night, well after dark, I found myself comfortably relaxing outside while using my laptop, enjoying being able to listen to the critters of the night (crickets, locus, etc...). To me, this was so relaxing! So peaceful! and Ooh so enjoyable! Even feeling safe sitting outside alone in a town unknown to me!

I've read the other reviews posted here, and have to agree with the individual which stated the fact that this historical bldg is OVER 100 yrs old! I have to add that one must keep in mind that during those days a home actually was not built for a great deal of comfort... after all back then the majority of people either worked the fields, cared for the garden, or tended to the animals, remember the ladies even did the laundry outside as well! Therefore, the homes was not built for quiet, sound proof walls, or a major deal of comfort, but yet a roof over their heads, stoves to cook on and beds to sleep in... even then some of the beds were made of hay - so not exactly made for total comfort... don't misunderstand me, our room was comfortable, yet the walls were thin with a few noises creeping through, but none annoying enough to ruin our stay!

So those with higher expectations then sure this hotel is not going to meet up to your high standards, or match those of a modern, up to date room of today! However, if your standards are those of wanting the old piece of history, with a comfortable nights sleep, with a friendly & courteous staff, then YES this IS a hotel where you would enjoy your visit!

Everyone is different & entitle to their own opinions... however this is mine & I hope if you choose to visit Hotel Josephine you will enjoy your stay, if even only half as much as we enjoyed ours!

Good luck, stay safe & happy vacationing!

Room Tip: For us, we enjoyed the victorian style rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple