“EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL HISTORIAN HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Josephine

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holton
Hotel Josephine
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Holton
Kansas
“EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL HISTORIAN HOTEL”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

My husband and I happened across this beautiful historian hotel pretty much on accident due to all of the other places within the area being full! We was glad that we did, too! We seriously enjoyed our visit there! We have spent many a nights in the modern day hotels, however we found Hotel Josephine to be more relaxing than any of the other more up to date ones that we've previously visited!

It started the moment we entered the lobby. Just opening the we viewed a VERY beautiful taste of time from 'back in the day'! The old Victorian theme (furniture, and deco) only added to true beauty of Hotel Josephine!

Our room had what I considered it to be an old antique appearance. Hey, isn't that the whole idea or meaning behind historian? The wall paper displayed a beautiful antique look as if from that era. The poster bed, also had an antique look to it and was found to be comfortable! We slept on clean non-stained sheets, as some suggested differently in the reviews I read earlier. The furniture attire consisted of a sitting chair & dresser which also tied well into the room. Both displaying a true antique look!

The main entrance of the lobby was actually where the corner of the bldg. was, and off to the side facing the courtyard sat a couple wrought iron chairs/bench for the visitors relaxation. On into the night, well after dark, I found myself comfortably relaxing outside while using my laptop, enjoying being able to listen to the critters of the night (crickets, locus, etc...). To me, this was so relaxing! So peaceful! and Ooh so enjoyable! Even feeling safe sitting outside alone in a town unknown to me!

I've read the other reviews posted here, and have to agree with the individual which stated the fact that this historical bldg is OVER 100 yrs old! I have to add that one must keep in mind that during those days a home actually was not built for a great deal of comfort... after all back then the majority of people either worked the fields, cared for the garden, or tended to the animals, remember the ladies even did the laundry outside as well! Therefore, the homes was not built for quiet, sound proof walls, or a major deal of comfort, but yet a roof over their heads, stoves to cook on and beds to sleep in... even then some of the beds were made of hay - so not exactly made for total comfort... don't misunderstand me, our room was comfortable, yet the walls were thin with a few noises creeping through, but none annoying enough to ruin our stay!

So those with higher expectations then sure this hotel is not going to meet up to your high standards, or match those of a modern, up to date room of today! However, if your standards are those of wanting the old piece of history, with a comfortable nights sleep, with a friendly & courteous staff, then YES this IS a hotel where you would enjoy your visit!

Everyone is different & entitle to their own opinions... however this is mine & I hope if you choose to visit Hotel Josephine you will enjoy your stay, if even only half as much as we enjoyed ours!

Good luck, stay safe & happy vacationing!

Room Tip: For us, we enjoyed the victorian style rooms...
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LadysWeb

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

Had to stay 3 days because of holiday stayed memorial day weekend. Staff was friendly and courtious. Stayed in the Jesse James room ,the beds were comfortable and like new. They have been refurbishing the place and will stay there again when traveling thru.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank crzymn
, Owner at Hotel Josephine, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Thank You, we enjoyed having your group stay with us, during our first offical weekend of being opened, anytime you come our way again please look us up. Thank you from all of Hotel Josephine
Canyon Lake, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2010

The hotel has great historical attributes, unfortunately we had 3 familes traveled from Cailfornia and Texas to stay at Hotel Joshephine. The staff was friendly,the entrance palor was nice. The rooms were not at all what the picture depicted. The bed box springs looked like they were retrieved from a dumpster. The sheets were worn with statins. Underneath the bed, trash was left and who knows what else. The rooms could use a fresh coat of paint, clean linens. We all did not sleep well, we were waitng to see what would crawl out. What a shame not represent a piece of wonderful Holton history.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Clakegirl1
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

Room was very small and dingy. Smallest television in the world. Staff were rude. Hotel was paid by someone else; so I guess for free it's worth it. A ripoff for $69. Save your money and stay at the Red Roof Inn or Super 8 . This hotel has zero charm, and should be condemned. The breakfast consisted of stale bread and pastries. The only thing going for it is the location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank genpop
OKC, OK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

It's always interesting when you stay in a historic property! This place was built more than 100 years ago, and when you stay in a place like this, if your expectation is new construction, this is not the place for you! I laughed at the other review about hearing things. This is a place that is over 100 years old - what we expect today of new construction vs. that of yesteryear (remember, they would have had to figure out how to take care of their wagons and horses!) just needs to be different!

Holton, KS is a place I stop in regularly as a good place to have lunch when I am visiting family members north. We had looked in at the Hotel Josephine, but this is the first stay.

We stop at Holton simply because we enjoy this county seat town about 45 minutes north of Topeka. The Hotel is on the town square by the county courthouse. I think it is 18 rooms, two story hotel, just off highway 75. This stay happened because it was about the right time to stop. In fact I drove a couple hours more just to stay here. Small town charm and safety.

Very comfortable. Each room is a little unique. It really is more like a bed and breakfast inn rather than a hotel. Antiques, old fashioned radiator heat. Very cozy. Probably could use a bit of updating, but you get great charm/price value for your money. Friendly folks, superb location and rates. Really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Mikocat
Rockford, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2008

My Wife and I have stayed at the Hotel Josephine two or three times a year since 1988. We always booked in advance, and had the second floor front corner suite, overlooking the church. I would go to work and my wife would hit the antique shops in the area. We thought it was the most relaxing business trips we looked forward to. About 2000 that all started to change. We would book the suite in advance and pay by AMEX, but when we get there it's not available. The last time we stayed in 2003; We booked the room three weeks in advance; guaranteed it with an AMEX credit card &
stated we would not be getting in until about 8:30 P.M. When we got there at about 8:00 P.M. we were told that we were so late they gave the rooms to someone else, as they thought we were a "NO SHOW" and that there were no other rooms available. The only other motel out on the highway was full, so we ended up staying in Topeka and I would drive the ninety miles round trip every day for the five days I was working in Holton. When I received my March Amex bill they had run one nights "Guaranteed" no show charge, which I am glad to say American Express removed and stopped payment on............

• Liked — MY WIFE AND I LOVED THE SOLITUDE AND AMBIANCE
  • Disliked — THE NEW OWNERS CARE ABOUT NOTHING BUT THEIR WALLET !!!!
  • Stayed March 2003, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Dragon3237
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2007

Hotel Josephine - great value for the price. Not much in the city, so the hotel had to make up for it. Recommend staying here - great staff, good location, antique rooms - a true delight (for this CA girl). Thank you to the management...

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank amyinnyc

Been to Hotel Josephine? Share your experiences!